Estes Cruis Missile #1336

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coopwyo

Reaction score
Has anyone ever flown the Estes Cruise Missile (#1336) with the wings folded out? Would it be too unstable and cause it to crash? I've always envisioned sending it up and then having it glide gracefully down, but I don't think that will happen.

Has anyone ever flown the Estes Cruise Missile (#1336) with the wings folded out? Would it be too unstable and cause it to crash? I've always envisioned sending it up and then having it glide gracefully down, but I don't think that will happen.
I seem to recall that the hinge doubled as a launch lug when the wings were folded together.

Could try it with another one attached, I suppose. Just be sure to give it a throw in glide configuration and see how it behaves. For all we know it might glide like a washing machine.

I seem to recall that the hinge doubled as a launch lug when the wings were folded together.
Correct.
Also when folded out there is no locking mechanism to keep it that way during boost.
The fully deployed configuration is for display only.
Instructions say as much.
I've always envisioned sending it up and then having it glide gracefully down, but I don't think that will happen.
It is a heavy plastic shell with a lot of clay nose weight.
Will probably glide as well as a bowling ball.

This is a 3D printed clone so not a direct comparison but I flew it with wings fixed outward. I seriously doubt those are big enough to let this glide down and the amount of nose weight needed to make it fly straight (more than I used here obviously) would further preclude gliding - probably need to do a pop-pod or something where engine ejects itself along with nose weight (but the wings seem too small anyway).

For an example of a rocket designed to glide back, OOP but some stores might still have it in stock, check out the Estes Astron Skydart II.

For the ALCM you could maybe rig up a horizontal harness to the chute with external shroud line so that it at least has a horizontal recovery and gives an appearance somewhat of falling with style.

It won't be stable without more nose weight and no it won't glide in any configuration at that scale with the materials used.

That said, a properly designed and ultra lightweight upscale that will boost and glide with the wings extended and without any pop pod is possible because I've done it in 1/4 and 1/3 ish scale

It is also possible to properly design and build a big heavy non gliding rocket version that will fly stable with wings extended as there is a build thread here recently at 1/2 scale.

Frank

Last edited:
Back