Estes Command Control #2234 launch controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't use NiCads.
That is old technology.
You can find 7.2 v Nimh batteries that fit in perfectly on EBay.
1. My Pro Series charger has one battery door on the back.
2. It has two charging ports on the back, one for each battery.
3. I couldn't find a charger with the right connector to plug into the charging ports so I charge the batteries externally. But they last a long time between charges. A minor inconvenience.
A few pics:
1129221834[1].jpg
1129221835[1].jpg
1129221838[1].jpg

Here are the instructions from the Estes website:
https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Instructions/002234_COMMAND_CONTROLLER.pdfSo it appears the Pro Series and the NCR are one and the same.

I missed the sale. The person selling it listed it as bran new in unused and unopened box. I asked them to send pictures and the box and the box was already opened and the controller was in rough shape. I declined to buy it. I had one years ago still wrapped in the box but sold it in 2009 now I wish I had it. I have two new Pro Series controllers not yet used but they are not any wheres near the command controller. All they are is a glorified E controller in a larger package in my opinion.

Not sure this fits with the OPs question but if the OP or anyone else is looking to build their own single launch controller, here's a list of parts, schematic, and some pics of the one I built. It's about $37 in Digi-Key parts if you don't have some laying around. Plus about $32 for 100 ft of 16/2 lamp cord at Home Depot or you can buy it for $0.42 per foot if you want shorter lengths.

I had most of the parts laying around so my only cost was the 50 ft. lamp cord which was much cheaper back when I bought it. I use a car starter for a power source which works great with the wire length. Today's car starters come with LiPos and are much smaller and lighter.

The controller has a continuity check and a two button launch function, you must press the momentary Arm switch before the launch button will work. I also made the two battery wires different lengths so if you trip over them and pull them (don't ask) they won't contact and spark.
0701161216.jpg

0701161217.jpg

Schematic.png

Attachments

• Digi-Key parts list.csv
    1,006 bytes · Views: 0
Nice set up. This is why I liked the North Coast (ESTES) command controller everything all in one in one hand. I hear ya on tripping over the wires like me looking around to see if anyone else saw that.

I picked one up from ebay and for the life of me, I can't get the battery access door open. Any hekp?

I picked one up from ebay and for the life of me, I can't get the battery access door open. Any hekp?
Pull the 2 tabs down, and keeping fingers on the tabs, pull the door towards you. This doesn't work for you?

Back