Estes bringing back the Orbital Transport

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Scott notes, the Super Mars Snooper nose cones are all plastic….and that leads to some adhesive challenges in the fins. I calls for the use of medium CA in a place I would have rather not needed it seems to be the best choice after having tried a couple of other alternatives and having then needed to fix them after a flight.

As Scott notes, the Super Mars Snooper nose cones are all plastic….and that leads to some adhesive challenges in the fins. I calls for the use of medium CA in a place I would have rather not needed it seems to be the best choice after having tried a couple of other alternatives and having then needed to fix them after a flight.
Bernard -

Per your and Chris Michielssen’s communication I wonder which holds up better - CA or Fabri Tac? Or would maybe an epoxy that leans toward the “thin” range work well?

I built mine initially with Fabri-Tac for the fin-to-pod joints, but had to fix ‘em after only a flight or two. I really don’t like CA for this application because it makes for brittle joints, but the Fabri-Tac joints were too flexible and didn’t hold. So far the redone-with-medium-CA joints are holding up.

I don’t know if Chris has flown any of the SMS models he‘s built. For a static model, Fabri-Tac is a great choice for this joint. Now using Fabri-Tac to glue the pod nose and tail cones to the tubes…that works just fine.

Up close it was rather beaten up and not the greatest craftsmanship but it always impressed.
Sounds like the Garden railways "ten foot rule"
And like a certain reluctant hero's old freighter which didn't look like much but had it where it counted.

I'd suggest trying Plasti-Zap for those fin pod assemblies. Works much better than regular CA for gluing plastic NCs to wood/paper/fiber...I use it quite a bit.

This and the BOSS will be day-one buys for me.
After spending the winter and the crummy part of spring NOT building nearly as much as I planned I self-imposed a moratorium n kit buying - but I’m on the same page as AJS - both are must buys when released!

Do you even read the catalog? (just kidding)

View attachment 528518

Personally, I'm still sad about returning the BO. I shoulda just kept it.

View attachment 528520

LOL... Me read?

Ah ha! Thanks for the info. Yeah, that acronym was just not clicking for me? What came to mind was the "Boss Level" (aka final battle) of a video game. I just couldn't figure out which game he was referring to... :p

AC charges extra for shipping here, over and above what their shipping calculator estimates. And no free shipping for orders over $100 to Hawaii. Estes has free shipping for orders over $50. So I added something to bring my Estes order over $50. Net is a small savings to my wallet by ordering from Estes instead of AC. Maybe $1. 😁

Temporary suspension of my kit buying moratorium - SOT and a fair number of motors ordered from AC.

Moratorium back in place…at least until I make a trip to Grove City for a Pittsburgh Space Command Launch and Ken at Performance Hobbies still has that US Rockets Stiletto available!

Last edited:
Since I have a bunch of unbuilt kits right now and just dropped a bunch of money securing some of the last remaining motors on Aerotech's discontinue list, I think I am going to hold off on getting this at least until the BOSS comes out and I can order both from AC Supply with fewer random extras required for free shipping.

Back