Hawks Hobby Orbital Transport question <glider dihedral>

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Rachor

Reaction score
I've had a Hawks Hobby Orbital Transport for years. A hoppy shop owner built it. The glider has never flown well. I discovered that the glider wing is one piece forming both wings with no dihedral. Wasn't it suppose to be built with dihedral like the original Estes model?
George Rachor

A delta wing at a positive angle of attack has its own dihedral effect. That may be why he built it straight. Some delta wing airplanes even have anhedral to counteract excessive dihedral effect from the delta shape. So-called conical camber probably acts in a similar way, in addition to its other advantages. You can see it here:

Did he use the same amount of up elevator as the stock kit? The amount on the Estes looks like too much to me. I may know more soon, as I have the kit for the tiny Semroc version. (Not that I don't already have kits for a zillion other flying things.)

Yes, and I wonder why it has so much dihedral and up elevator. I should think using less and maybe moving the cg back a bit would result in a better glide. Maybe even use conical camber in the glider? Note that the following design has a low wing, conical camber, and no dihedral, but presumably it flies ok.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=11545

Has anyone messed around with mods like these?

An excess of roll stability may be desirable for quick, reliable transition into gliding flight after the ejection charge goes off. Likewise to be resistant to wind gusts. It's similar how it is with rubber band-launched gliders (Whitewings etc.): when the plane slows down to stall speed after the high-speed launch, it's vulnerable to going into a spin rather than settling out wings-level.

I'm wondering if the glider wiggles as it flies. That could be dutch roll, implying that there's too much dihedral or too little vertical stabilizer.

Very nice. Does it pitch up under power? My leading candidate for a Jetex 50 test model is a modestly enlarged version of that wing with no fuselage, with the motor on top, and two fins instead of one.

Latest posts

Back