Estes Strikes Again! STARLIGHT!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only counted six exclamation marks in the text of the Starlight page. I think Estes is losing their touch. Historically, there would have been at least a dozen.
I love it that their cheap Chinese 808 camera was purported to make you feel like you’re actually riding along with the rocket. As if “take videos from your rocket and wow your friends!” wasn’t enough and they needed something completely ludicrous.

Scalpers buy in bulk.
That would be my guess as well. I've noticed in other hobbies that scalpers jump in, buy up limited releases and jack up the prices on ebay.
I don't have real interest in that design, if I did I would just make the parts and clone it myself. If I can find the nose cone then I can handle the rest of it. Of course some people go beyond this and 3D print their own nose cones. I would like to see Estes come back out with some of the kits that don't have parts available.

I've seen this scalper/reseller phenomenon show up in other places. In general, it ticks me off. Profit I can understand, profiteering doesn't sit well with me. You go to a church flea market, you can't hardly browse for the resellers swooping in first thing to grab all the good stuff and pop it up on ebay. Then there are ticket scalpers, more similar to the case we have here. You actually want the kit, and some baboon swoops in and orders as many as they can get their mitts on, not because they want them, but just so you can't, and then they can see how bad you really want it. Not wanting to start a war here, but it just feels smarmy to me.

On the other hand, I know a couple of widows who've had some pretty bad breaks, and that's how they are surviving, shopping the thrift stores and flea markets and selling the stuff on eBay... I guess you have to count on people to be decent, and it only takes a few bad eggs to make the whole place stink

I've seen this scalper/reseller phenomenon show up in other places. In general, it ticks me off. Profit I can understand, profiteering doesn't sit well with me. You go to a church flea market, you can't hardly browse for the resellers swooping in first thing to grab all the good stuff and pop it up on ebay. Then there are ticket scalpers, more similar to the case we have here. You actually want the kit, and some baboon swoops in and orders as many as they can get their mitts on, not because they want them, but just so you can't, and then they can see how bad you really want it. Not wanting to start a war here, but it just feels smarmy to me.

On the other hand, I know a couple of widows who've had some pretty bad breaks, and that's how they are surviving, shopping the thrift stores and flea markets and selling the stuff on eBay... I guess you have to count on people to be decent, and it only takes a few bad eggs to make the whole place stink

Well, scouring thrift stores for bargains is a far cry from buying up every item on a website, and then reselling them for a profit.​
It seems to me that Estes could stop this... if they really wanted to....​

Last edited:
Well, scouring thrift stores for bargains is a far cry from buying up every item on a website, and then reselling them for a profit. It seems to me that Estes could stop this if they wanted to....​
I just looked, and though out of stock it did say limit 3 per customer. So it you wanted to hoard them you would have to use some shenanigans. Still, even allowing 3 seems to allow the possibility that you could get yours effectively free by profiteering the other two. "Do unto others..."

I just looked, and though out of stock it did say limit 3 per customer. So it you wanted to hoard them you would have to use some shenanigans. Still, even allowing 3 seems to allow the possibility that you could get yours effectively free by profiteering the other two. "Do unto others..."

I did see that.... "as others would do unto you."​

Well, I think he said "... as you would have others do unto you." And to me, that doesn't include profiteering in the manner described in this thread, i.e. they start showing up on eBay at $100. But on the other hand, I haven't seen that actually happen yet. I just wouldn't do that to.my fellows.

Unfortunately, in the minds of these people, it's more like, "...before they do unto you."

Well, this one sold out in two days at a premium price. Perhaps there will be more to come.

Problem is they are being bought by people that are hording them then flipping for profit and not by true rocket enthusiasts.

Good for Estes, crappy for the rest of us. Guarantee these will be on eBay in a week for $100+

Problem is they are being bought by people that are hording them then flipping for profit and not by true rocket enthusiasts.

Good for Estes, crappy for the rest of us. Guarantee these will be on eBay in a week for $100+
Yes, that is an unfortunate unintended consequence of the strategy of offering a series of limited runs, which otherwise sounds pretty smart from Estes' standpoint.

(This is too easy...) Really? How about cardstock builders? Paper or plastic?

(I'll get my coat. I can see myself out...)

To be honest, plastic is easier than balsa.
But what does "easier" have to do with rocketry? ;) If there are wood based fins, it's not really easier.​
I turn my nose cones from redwood or pine... and then bore them, accordingly.​

Mine came with a balsa and a plastic nose cone. Any idea why? I haven't opened it yet.
Yup, mine too. The balsa one is a BNC-50Y, the plastic one is a PNC-50YR, a noticeably different shape. So use the balsa to create an accurate copy of the original, save the PNC for scratch builds! Also, it doesn’t come with a snap swivel like the original. I’ll dremel the engine hook to match the old style, but plan to otherwise build it stock.

It would be cool if Estes printed vintage style chutes for these limited edition “from the vault” kits.

The header card notes “Assembled in the USA”, but the plastic package says Made in China.

Here's my question: What idiot is going to pay $100 for a Starlight? Unless you have more money than brains, I suspect that the "scalpers" are going to be sitting on a pile of rockets that at the end of the day, if you're willing to wait 2 months, may sell on eBay for under retail.

I used to make some extra cash in the retro-computing market. I started collecting computers in the late 80's when other people were willing to throw them away. I used to get Apple II's and C-64s for the price of going to other people's houses and cleaning out their closets. As a result, when I sold some of this stuff on Ebay I made money because a lot of it I had paid nothing for. But I go to these big festivals sometimes, like "Vintage Computer Faire", and the guys trying to resell a 1541 drive for $100 aren't moving their merchandise, but when I sell a similar 1541 drive for $40, it gets scooped up before I'm even done unloading my car.

And what's funny is that I can still find people even today, willing to give me old computers if I just dredge it out of their basement. And when I sell that stuff, it's pretty much pure profit. But I don't price it to the point that it won't sell. I price it to get it out of my house *and* make a little money on the side.

The moral of this story is don't be greedy, or you can end up with a pile of junk you didn't really want.

Here's my question: What idiot is going to pay $100 for a Starlight? Unless you have more money than brains, I suspect that the "scalpers" are going to be sitting on a pile of rockets that at the end of the day, if you're willing to wait 2 months, may sell on eBay for under retail.

I used to make some extra cash in the retro-computing market. I started collecting computers in the late 80's when other people were willing to throw them away. I used to get Apple II's and C-64s for the price of going to other people's houses and cleaning out their closets. As a result, when I sold some of this stuff on Ebay I made money because a lot of it I had paid nothing for. But I go to these big festivals sometimes, like "Vintage Computer Faire", and the guys trying to resell a 1541 drive for $100 aren't moving their merchandise, but when I sell a similar 1541 drive for $40, it gets scooped up before I'm even done unloading my car.

And what's funny is that I can still find people even today, willing to give me old computers if I just dredge it out of their basement. And when I sell that stuff, it's pretty much pure profit. But I don't price it to the point that it won't sell. I price it to get it out of my house *and* make a little money on the side.

The moral of this story is don't be greedy, or you can end up with a pile of junk you didn't really want.

Unfortunately that is not what we are seeing with these limited releases. If you watched the auctions for the Blue Sapphire shortly after it was released the prices were insane. Worst I saw one sell for was $149. People are dumb enough to buy this stuff at these inflated prices. I see it all the time with RC Cars and recently with rockets.

Personally I think your head needs to be checked if you paid the $40 asking price when you could build one for under $10. Only one way to stop this..

2023-11-07_12-57-41.jpg

Back