Estes 3” couplers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakota196

Reaction score
Been looking for a 3” coupler for a Leviathan. Estes is NIS (not in stock). Apogee has them, but for 2 pcs at $8 and $11 shipping, I can’t swallow that. eBay doesn’t have them. Any place to get some?

Balsa Machining has the right size of coupler for $3 for 6" or $12 for 34". Look for "C300" Under "Kits & Bldg. Supplies" -> "Low power Body Tubes & Couplers." Shipping for small packages - which I assume would include 6" couplers - is $6, and shipping on big items like the 34" couplers is $14. I usually buy multiple 34" tubes of various sizes when I shop with them.

If you're buying Estes products, they are not made in America in the first place, so what difference does it make where the couplers are made?

If you're buying Estes products, they are not made in America in the first place, so what difference does it make where the couplers are made?

If you're the fella that just lost his American job, It always makes a difference. I always ask and try to buy American.

Put in the effort and ask, it's the least you can do.

In regard to Estes.... Their BP motors are made in America, that's the only thing I buy from them.

Have a happy 4th of July 🇺🇸

My understanding is that Estes tubes are made here and shipped to China to be made into kits.
I'm pretty sure you have that backwards. Tubes are made in china and shipped here for kitting. Estes balsa comes from china, as do their parachutes. I'm also not convinced their bp motors are made in America. Somebody would have to show me proof of that.

If you're the fella that just lost his American job, It always makes a difference. I always ask and try to buy American.

Put in the effort and ask, it's the least you can do.

In regard to Estes.... Their BP motors are made in America, that's the only thing I buy from them.

Have a happy 4th of July 🇺🇸
I guess you don't ever shop at Walmart then.

I'm all for buying "American Made" as much as possible. I think we are in serious trouble here having shipped most manufacturing jobs overseas, but that's a discussion for another thread.

It just seemed hypocritical to buy a made in china rocket kit (which I know you have said YOU don't do), then complain when you need to buy a coupler that's NOT made in America.

I guess you don't ever shop at Walmart then.

I'm all for buying "American Made" as much as possible. I think we are in serious trouble here having shipped most manufacturing jobs overseas, but that's a discussion for another thread.

It just seemed hypocritical to buy a made in china rocket kit (which I know you have said YOU don't do), then complain when you need to buy a coupler that's NOT made in America.
Nobody's complaining... just suggesting.

I'm pretty sure you have that backwards. Tubes are made in china and shipped here for kitting. Estes balsa comes from china, as do their parachutes. I'm also not convinced their bp motors are made in America. Somebody would have to show me proof of that.

Have you seen the Estes campus tours on the NarCon Team Viewer conventions of Bill Stein showing the motors being made in CO?

Older Quest BP came from an Indian Reservation until a disaster issues, then Germany, then china and then stopped making BP motors.

Last edited:
Estes, as well as, every other rocket company in the U.S. with the possible exception of Quest, but including Aerotech has their tubes made in the U.S. And yes, the Estes tubes are made in the U.S. and shipped to China for insertion into the kits then shipped back. No other country has the quality tubes that we have. Basically one company makes everyones tubes. Estes engines, igniters and wadding are made in Colorado and always have been. Estes also now owns the company that is supplying the black powder made in Louisiana. There are videos of the tour of Estes showing these all being made. Pretty sure the balsa comes from Ecuador. Balsa doesn’t grow in the U.S., but basswood does.

Home of there body tube bags say made in Ohio USA packaged in China. So they make the tubes in Ohio, ship them to China, bag them then ship them to Penrose. Not verry efficient. And the labor savings would be eaten up in shipping.

Last edited:
Home of there body tube bads say made in Ohio USA packaged in China. So they make the tubes in Ohio, shio them to China, bag them then ship them to Penrose. Not verry efficient. And the labor savings would be eaten up in shipping.
Right. This.
Even if the individual components are made here, Estes is still sending a huge chunk of labor dollars to china!
Tell me again how this helps American workers, American Families?

Uhh...really...made in Colorado and soon to be made with BP from Louisiana (if not already, since they bought the Goex facility).

As for the tubes they were or are made by a US mill and shipped to China.

Last edited:
Back