Estes 2157 Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mark,
I have not been able to access the modin oldies stuff as the guy wont sell north of the border. If you need any plastic bits and bobs let me know as i have wrecked three of these things and kept the carcasses :)
Cheers
fred

Wow! I thought I was only one hooked on Saturn. I just wished I had a multi-engine cluster like a lot of people here suggested. I use an e30-4. You can get away with an E15 but, nothing less! (single motor). I just launched mine from a frozen lake in Feb on an E30. Unfortunately, didn't take time to repack chute, so didn't open. You know, "NO DAMAGE," except for one auxilary fin. Why? I loaded lower sections with "great stuff" insulation. Added enough weight so no "nose" weight needed. However, the "DURABILITY" increased 10 fold! Have u ever heard of a Saturn surviving a 300' free fall basically on a streamer?:D

Whats a good motor to use for a 20.5", 153 gram loaded dual egglofter? I hear an E15-7 is recommended but, afraid of such a long delay with all that weight. Any comments? Is an E30-4 good? Thanks!:confused:

Whats a good motor to use for a 20.5", 153 gram loaded dual egglofter? I hear an E15-7 is recommended but, afraid of such a long delay with all that weight. Any comments? Is an E30-4 good? Thanks!:confused:

I can try to answer your question by drawing an analogy from my D Dual Eggloft Duration model's last flight.

Instead of using a single D engine, I decided to use two C6-3's (clustered) using the dual egg capsule from Pratt Hobbies. Both engines worked fine, but
on seeing where the ejection took place, I could (and should) have used two
C6-5's instead. The model had plenty of momentum due to its' mass, and the
result was a successful deployment of the 40" plastic parachute, but the upper 1 inch of the body tube did suffer a zipper :mad:. Some pics of that
flight below:

Moon, Mars & Beyond Regional @ JSC - NHRC 037.jpg

2484627523_2f53afaa83.jpg

2485444370_87d499e0aa.jpg

2485445226_f52a6292ed.jpg

Moon, Mars & Beyond Regional @ JSC - NHRC 045.jpg

Wow! I thought I was only one hooked on Saturn. I just wished I had a multi-engine cluster like a lot of people here suggested. I use an e30-4. You can get away with an E15 but, nothing less! (single motor). I just launched mine from a frozen lake in Feb on an E30. Unfortunately, didn't take time to repack chute, so didn't open. You know, "NO DAMAGE," except for one auxilary fin. Why? I loaded lower sections with "great stuff" insulation. Added enough weight so no "nose" weight needed. However, the "DURABILITY" increased 10 fold! Have u ever heard of a Saturn surviving a 300' free fall basically on a streamer?:D
Nope :) Sounds great :)
Cheers
fred

Here is the one I have been working on for the last two weeks. Four 18mm and one 24mm motor, home made baffle, music wire reenforced escape tower, balsa reenforced centering rings and fairings, and soon to be nylon parachutes.

I would like to build an accurate model of the launch tower as well. I still have not added the launch lugs as I am not sure I want to launch it off of a 1/4" rod or off of a rail. I will probably just go with the rod.

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

Here is the one I have been working on for the last two weeks. Four 18mm and one 24mm motor, home made baffle, music wire reenforced escape tower, balsa reenforced centering rings and fairings, and soon to be nylon parachutes.

I would like to build an accurate model of the launch tower as well. I still have not added the launch lugs as I am not sure I want to launch it off of a 1/4" rod or off of a rail. I will probably just go with the rod.
Looks really great but can you raise the engine bells to avoid possible roasting on takeoff? I use the same rig for engines and I think it will go really well :)
Cheers
fred

Looks really great but can you raise the engine bells to avoid possible roasting on takeoff? I use the same rig for engines and I think it will go really well :)
Cheers
fred

How far sould the clearance be from nozzle to the engine bell? Right now I am at 3/16" but I can get lower if need be. I figured that those plastic motor retainers on those RTF models survive pretty well but they could be a different plastic I guess.

That is correct the bottom of the tube itself not the motor.
Cheers
fred

Wow! Makes me wish I had made my 1st Saturn w/removeable "cluster mount." Quick question: I'm assuming everyone using "clip whips" for ignition, right? Thanks!:eek:

I never use "clip whips" anymore. I always add extentions to the igniters and then twist the extentions together.

My cluster ignition reliability improved greatly.

Wow! Makes me wish I had made my 1st Saturn w/removeable "cluster mount." Quick question: I'm assuming everyone using "clip whips" for ignition, right? Thanks!:eek:

I do and dont have any problems usually but I certainly respect the POV of those who use other methods :)
Cheers
Fred

Well She's just about ready to roll out of the VAB! I'll post some photo's tomorrow.

I got all the decals on tonight, I just have to seal them. I was going to use my standard, Future and a foam brush. After that all that is left is attach the parachutes and add the nose weight.

Weather permitting I think I can start the countdown for launch on the 25th at the first CMASS launch!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Well She's just about ready to roll out of the VAB! I'll post some photo's tomorrow.

I got all the decals on tonight, I just have to seal them. I was going to use my standard, Future and a foam brush. After that all that is left is attach the parachutes and add the nose weight.

Weather permitting I think I can start the countdown for launch on the 25th at the first CMASS launch!

Thanks for all the help everyone!
I'll be looking forward to that launch. I can't wait to see it.

Wow DM1975, thats a nice Saturn! I love the escape tower.

Thanks, I got the tower a bit crooked but it looks ok now with the paint. I have the rocket done now besides the decals, I just need to take a picure of it and test launch it after that.

Get us a picture of yours as soon as you can, I can't wait to see it finished.

Here she is.

Plenty of mistakes. I would do some things different if I built another, but over all I'm very happy with my Saturn V. Now I guess I should dig out my Semroc S1b, or maybe start my Gemini-Titan clone.

sv.jpg

sv1.jpg

sv2.jpg

sv3.jpg

Very nice. I ended up placing the interstage coupler above the line mark instead of below it on mine. Kinda makes it look goofy but it still works I guess. Did you use the original decals?

Yup I used the Estes decals. They are nice, they cover nicely and aren't too thick. Snugged down nice with some Micro Sol.

My Command Module is too short. I guess when I started it way back in 2001 I lined up on a wrong dimension. Also the LEM transition wrap is terrible. I tried to fix it but no luck.

Oh well it will still fly.

Last edited:
Well, it looks great. The body wraps had a lot of inaccuracies in them anyways, like too many ullage motors, and a few pieces missing here and there, and a few others not aligned where they were on the real thing. Still a great kit though.

Most non rocket people cant tell the difference between a Saturn and a Redstone anyways so it still looks impressive.

Well, it looks great. The body wraps had a lot of inaccuracies in them anyways, like too many ullage motors, and a few pieces missing here and there, and a few others not aligned where they were on the real thing. Still a great kit though.

Most non rocket people cant tell the difference between a Saturn and a Redstone anyways so it still looks impressive.

That's what I like about the original Estes K-36 kit; you can use all or none of
the ullage motors. Plus, you can paint the roll patterns before adding the external details; sure makes the job a lot easier.

I'll be looking forward to that launch. I can't wait to see it.

Thanks Bob. I'll need to pick your brain, glad you'll be there. I hope the weather's good!

You posted earlier about getting some extra wire to tie the igniter's together. I can't find the post, can you refresh my memory on what to get?

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. I'll need to pick your brain, glad you'll be there. I hope the weather's good!

You posted earlier about getting some extra wire to tie the igniter's together. I can't find the post, can you refresh my memory on what to get?
I use wire wrap wire with a wire wrap tool that I got from Radio Shack. I have 3 or 4 spools of the wire and the tool in my flight box if you don't get a chance to pick any up. I usually have a dozen or so igniters with the extentions already attached so you can have some of those if you need them.

Wrapping wire

Wire wrap tool

Looks great Mark!
Looking forward to seeing it fly.
I do the same as Bob with the extension wires.
Works great.
See you next week.

Your rocket looks great and it will fly better:) Good luck on the day :)
Cheers
Fred

Just got finished with the decals on mine, thought you would like to see it.

Nice job! Looks great. When will you fly it?

Thanks for your unwaivering support Fred! Every time I was getting slowed down on this project I would look at one of your photos and get re energized.

Thanks Bob and Tony, I look forward to seeing you guys Saturday, and seeing what you have been building!

Back