Estes 2157 Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't wait to see it painted with fire coming out the end :) How are you going to fire it up Mark?
Cheers
Fred

Not a clue! I've never launched a cluster before. Another reason this will be a
club launch. I was going to search the TRF archives for info on cluster ignition, but thats gone. I think Jim Z's site has the Estes tech paper on clustering. I know I'll have to make a clip whip.

club launch. I was going to search the TRF archives for info on cluster ignition, but thats gone. I think Jim Z's site has the Estes tech paper on clustering. I know I'll have to make a clip whip.
Mark,

I stopped using clip whips and just add wire extensions to the igniters. I have a couple of clip whips that are new that you can have.

I'll have some igniters with me at the launch you can use if you don't want to go the clip whip route.

Thanks Bob!

I might take you up on that!

I'm I don't think I'll have it ready for the April 4th launch, maybe the 25th.

Just remember to check each igniter before and AFTER it's been installed in the motors, and a third check on the pad isn't a bad idea either.
If your using standard Estes Iginters these days this is even more important, I can't tell you how many igniters I've found that are BAD but look fine coming directly from a new pack of motors or igniter pack.

I also agree with Bob on the Clip whip thing. I've built the clip extensions directly onto my relays to eliminate another potential bad or weak connection in the power delivery circuit.

Good luck with your first Cluster, Hope to hear your gleaming launch report soon:)

Sound advice from folks with experiance thats what I like about TRF :) I enjoyed making a clip whip myself. Unlike a lot of fellas I learned four families of small arms as opposed to how to change the oil in a car when I was a very young adult :) As a result when I cut sodder hammer or saw and I make something at 44 I feel a real sence of accomplishment most folks experiance in their teens :p Now that I've finished digressing to an alarming degree I can say Micros ideas around testing are very sound. I do however use a clip whip and I fire it up with this
https://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/...6285438114&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true
I'm sure you have similar things in the grand republic :)
Cheers
fred

From what Dave Montgomery was telling me the Quest Q2G2's are the cat's meow for clusters... might be worth picking up a bulk pack and trying them out... they already have extended wire leads and require low firing current so that should give you a lot more reliability in a cluster...

Good luck and post pics of that bad boy! OL JR :)

I was going to use Testors for the black, but I figured it would take too many cans of the white at $7 a pop. I was going to get out my airbrush for the SV until I saw the Grainger deal. I ordered the black just because the white was coming.

Luke, is the Walmart brand a lacquer? If so I hope it stays that way.

No sir, sorry... it's a regular enamel... but I've had pretty good luck with it, so I'm not complaining, and the price is certainly as good as you could ask. One thing is, you ARE limited to pretty much black, white, royal blue, grass green, and stop sign red. That's about it.

I really like their gray primer and their red/brown hi-dep primer, though... comes out really nice.

Good luck! OL JR :)

From what Dave Montgomery was telling me the Quest Q2G2's are the cat's meow for clusters... might be worth picking up a bulk pack and trying them out... they already have extended wire leads and require low firing current so that should give you a lot more reliability in a cluster...

Good luck and post pics of that bad boy! OL JR :)

Yes, you're right, Jeff. In fact, last night before I went to sleep (after getting
home from work around 10 PM) I was already "planning" the next flight of my
Maxi-Brute STAR WARS X-Wing (five engine cluster - this will be the second
flight) and my Estes K-36 Saturn - V (five engine cluster) in the months ahead. These Q2G2 igniters are almost identical to the QuickBurst Hot Shot
igniters I used for a while until the ATF gave David Bachelder those problems
several years back.

That's good to know Dave... you were singing the praises of the Quickbursts, and from what I've seen Dave Batchelder puts out some great products. Not many in my 'pay grade' but still good looking stuff.

Sounds like I'll have to make a new top for my Pad 34Z with a square hole for your Saturn V... she should look SWEET on there... :) OL JR :)

That's good to know Dave... you were singing the praises of the Quickbursts, and from what I've seen Dave Batchelder puts out some great products. Not many in my 'pay grade' but still good looking stuff.

Sounds like I'll have to make a new top for my Pad 34Z with a square hole for your Saturn V... she should look SWEET on there... :) OL JR :)

I'll still buy the Hot Shot if it wasn't for the excessive restrictions required by
the feds. But I'm not sure if QuickBurst even makes them anymore, as I was
looking through his website last weekend and didn't see them on the Igniters
page (I think you can get the kit to make them yourself). Even his NOVA
launch controller is an improvement from the one I bought back in 2004; it
has a neat relay system to boost the ignition of those engines. I've also
bought some LOC 24 mm body tubes from him in the past, but they're not
listed on the website, either.

Heres another inflight pic for the tranya minded :) Cant wait to see yours :)

sat v 1.jpg

Thanks for the photo Fred! thats inspiring.

I guess I'll have to get some quest igniter's. I guess I'll have to order them from the internet.

Thanks guys :) I am a big Sat V fan :) I have enjoyed looking at marks build as it brings back the joy of my builds :)
Cheers
fred

Not much to report. I got the first coat of gloss white on this morning. I'd post a photo, but it looks just like it did primed.

The SV has 2 coats of primmer and 2 coats of Krylon old formula gloss white. It has been 5 days drying.

It's time to start thinking about the roll patterns. I have a testors black paint stick, a can of Krylon old formula gloss black, a roll of green frog tape, and a little trepidation.

I've done complex paint jobs before, but not on this scale.

Anyone have a tips that worked well for them? Any traps to avoid?

Thanks

Mark

Bud I would simply advice taking your time as you do already and mask lots :) Also get some paint pens to fix small blargs :) I am sure you will do a great job :)
Cheers
fred

Heres another inflight pic for the tranya minded :)
Fred, I don't think it's cool to take an NASA photo of an Apollo launch and try to pass it off as a photo of your Saturn V model rocket launch!

j/k - whoa, now that's what I would call a scale photo!:)

Fred, I don't think it's cool to take an NASA photo of an Apollo launch and try to pass it off as a photo of your Saturn V model rocket launch!

j/k - whoa, now that's what I would call a scale photo!:)

Thanks very much :) The saturn V crowd are a good bunch and i am looking forward to seeing marks go up :)
Cheers
fred

I got one coat of flat black on the upper section. I masked the top ring and was just trying to figure out the large transition pattern and the next thing I know I had hand painted it. It needs some clean up, but it's better than I thought it would be.

For anyone who cares, the large transition roll pattern width is 26 ribs each.

I got one coat of flat black on the upper section. I masked the top ring and was just trying to figure out the large transition pattern and the next thing I know I had hand painted it. It needs some clean up, but it's better than I thought it would be.

For anyone who cares, the large transition roll pattern width is 26 ribs each.

I care and yopu must be getting excited. Fly it with the tower :)
Cheers
fred

I've made a small amount of progress.

The lower roll patterns have been roughed in. As with the top section I used a Testors paint pen. It is starting to look like a Saturn V!. Still have a long way to go. I'm using Tamya masking tape, 6mm. It works great but is kind of expensive, $5 for a small roll.

sv.jpg

sva.jpg

I've made a small amount of progress.

The lower roll patterns have been roughed in. As with the top section I used a Testors paint pen. It is starting to look like a Saturn V!. Still have a long way to go. I'm using Tamya masking tape, 6mm. It works great but is kind of expensive, $5 for a small roll.

looks great mark :) keep it up :)
Cheers
fred

Thanks Guys, but it is still VERY rough. I don't know if I can have it ready for the April 24 CMASS launch. I have a few days to work on it but then real work kicks in.

Tomorrow the middle roll patterns!

Some more progress.

All of the roll patterns are roughed in. I have a coat of silver on the SM and fins. I have started to touch up the white.

So far all the paint after a base coat of gloss white has been hand painted. I have learned a few things. The main body roll patterns are 13 ribs wide, 26 for the large transition. If I was to do it again I would paint a flat white base coat instead of gloss white. I figured the decals would be easier with the gloss but the top coats don't stick as well to the gloss. Not a big deal. The 3M spray adhesive the directions call for the plastic wraps works ok, but does a bad job at the seams. I used CA glue here, but it leaves a slight bump. The plastic wraps have also raised a tiny bit over time. I've been working on this one for a LONG time.:)

sv.jpg

Some more progress.

All of the roll patterns are roughed in. I have a coat of silver on the SM and fins. I have started to touch up the white.

So far all the paint after a base coat of gloss white has been hand painted. I have learned a few things. The main body roll patterns are 13 ribs wide, 26 for the large transition. If I was to do it again I would paint a flat white base coat instead of gloss white. I figured the decals would be easier with the gloss but the top coats don't stick as well to the gloss. Not a big deal. The 3M spray adhesive the directions call for the plastic wraps works ok, but does a bad job at the seams. I used CA glue here, but it leaves a slight bump. The plastic wraps have also raised a tiny bit over time. I've been working on this one for a LONG time.:)
When that thing goes up you will be very happy :) Remember fly it with the tower on :) Looks too cool not too :) Your build is looking great and your build info is awesome too.
Thanks
fred

I'm using the Moldin the oldies capsule and fins so she will go up with the tower on. I think I will build the plastic kit capsule/tower for display. I have not started on the work to mount the plastic F1's (I have to find them). I still want to have it ready for the April 25th CMASS launch, work will have to slow down for work.

Back