Eggtimer Classic............issues

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R3verb

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I bought and built an Eggtimer Classic as a backup to my telemetrum. I'm finally jumping in to the eggtimer (the telemetrum was pretty easy to setup) and I've had nothing but issues trying to get into the programing of this thing. What I can gather after about an hour of troubleshooting is that the dongle I got isn't compatible with Windows 11. When I go into device manager I see "THIS IS NOT PROLIFIC PL2303. PLEASE CONACT YOUR SUPPLIER". From whatI can tell, the serial interface I got isn't supported? Ok, no big deal, I'll dual boot to Ubuntu. Tried that, got permission errors when trying to setup the serial connection and I can't find a single post anywhere online on how to configure the thing in Linux. My last ditch effort would be Mac OS but I'm honestly a little terrified to plug something I built into my very much not cheap MacBook Pro. Any advice? I'm pretty tech savvy so I'm a little bummed I'm this stuck but that's what forums are for right? My hope would be that either there's a workaround in Windows 11 or that somebody can walk me through how to do it on Linux, then I could just boot from a USB drive. Thanks everyone!

casey levinger

The blue USB-Serial cable will NOT work with Windows 11, not matter how hard you try. The driver doesn't support Windows 11, and Prolific actually changed their driver to not support that cable too. (We have an older version of the driver on our web site that will work with Windows 10). We stopped selling the cable about a year and a half ago, it's been replaced with a USB-Serial "dongle" with a different chipset that works with all versions of Windows (and Macs, too). Email us to get the new interface.

The blue USB-Serial cable will NOT work with Windows 11, not matter how hard you try. The driver doesn't support Windows 11, and Prolific actually changed their driver to not support that cable too. (We have an older version of the driver on our web site that will work with Windows 10). We stopped selling the cable about a year and a half ago, it's been replaced with a USB-Serial "dongle" with a different chipset that works with all versions of Windows (and Macs, too). Email us to get the new interface.
This was kinda my fear lol. I am about to buy 2 apogees here in the next week so that'll work out well. Thanks for the advice!

casey levinger

Back