Dr Zooch Soyuz build (Completed!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cicada killer wasp?? Is it a cicada, or is it a wasp?? Didn't know there was a specific cicada killing wasp...

Time for a run to the store and a can of Bengal wasp/hornet spray-- it shoots up to 30 feet or so with pretty much laser accuracy... and it will knock down pretty much ANYTHING and do it near-instantly...

When I was farming cotton, I had the usual yearly ritual to look forward to of fighting yellow jacket (paper wasp) nests to get the cotton pickers cranked up and out of the barn. If you've never been around a cotton picker before, they're a machine the size of a big RV, with the engine in the back, picker units in the front, and a huge basket overhead, with lots of pipe frame, counterbalance springs, hydraulic lines, metal shields, and such all around the motor... which is, of course, PERFECT habitat for paper wasps building nests... It wasn't uncommon to see nests the size of a football, with THOUSANDS of yellow jackets swarming over it.

In the old days (70's) Dad or Grandpa would either throw a cup of gasoline on the nest from about ten feet away, or just have the squirt can (oil can) full of gasoline (to prime the fuel pump, carbuerator, and engine on those old pickers before starting it up) full of gasoline and spraying the heck out of the nest... in those days, leaded gasoline was HOT STUFF (lots of benzene and ring aromatic hydrocarbons) in it and squirting gas on/around the nest was all it took to wipe them out, very quickly. Back in the 90's after the leaded gasoline ban (we still got leaded for the farm stuff from the distributor until the mid-90's when it was banned altogether) I tried it with the unleaded stuff, and it didn't knock them down very well at all... by the late 90's, with the removal of all the aromatic stuff from gas and the addition of all the corn alcohol, you might as well have been slinging ice water at them-- you just p!ssed them off! That's when I started buying Bengal Wasp and Hornet spray-- stuff just wiped them out, even with a near-miss...

Later! OL JR :)

I went outside in thickest clothes I could find and a motorcycle helmet and goggles, equipped with flying bug spray (close range stuff not what you said)
It tried to sting me but the parka was too thick for it :cool:
I sprayed the hell out of it until it went down. Put up quite a fight, and it actually managed to get its singer through my glove so it left its mark.
Never knew a wasp could be territorial.
Btw this is a Cicada Killer Wasp:
https://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/PPDL/images/cicada_killer_wasp-rule.jpeg

Theres tons of cicadas in my backyard so I assume thats what he came for.

Your rocket, you can do what you like... Personally I think it looks more realistic with the added painted details, but it IS more work, and it was probably a much better idea to do that BEFORE gluing the boosters on (like painting them gray) rather than later... I remember a build thread awhile back (maybe NJRick's or Mushtang's, can't recall ATM) where someone added the "chrome panel" heat shield to the inside of each booster at the bottom, near the inside by the core booster... looked really great when they were done. It would be pretty hard to do now, though, with the boosters glued on.

The red nozzle lining would be pretty easy though...

All up to you and what you want to do... but some of these things are better thought out and planned for in advance, BEFORE you start building, or at least very early in the build, before you glue boosters on and stuff like that...

Good luck and KUTGW... it looks great!

Yeah I think the orange is out of my reach now, but Im going with the red engine plan.

Here's the results from a google search... DAAAANG those are BIG!!!

https://www.saltthesandbox.org/cicada_hunt/CicadaKillers.htm

more_killers_hand_35.jpg
main.php

Odo... This thread reminds me of something...

ceilingcatoriginalEDIT_0.jpg

LOL yeah my cat (whose name is Jack) Has a bad habit now of getting up there everytime he goes in my room, so now I have to keep him out until I finish this model and can move it off my "work desk"

LOL yeah my cat (whose name is Jack) Has a bad habit now of getting up there everytime he goes in my room, so now I have to keep him out until I finish this model and can move it off my "work desk"

For my next build...

This build is coming to an end soon :)
SAS panels.jpg
SAS panels done and done!
Only thing left on this build is to paint the engines insides red with a brush and glue em on

Also is this what you're talking about luke?
View attachment 143588
If so that is Rocketcrab's, and Im not sure I like the chrome, IMO it looks like scratched paint.

Oh my gosh. I have to make that and put it somewhere in my house!

Right where it can "see" the computer monitor...

A friend of mine is the IT guy at a school, and he's thinking about installing it to remind kids not to be looking for stuff they shouldn't be looking at.

Right where it can "see" the computer monitor...

A friend of mine is the IT guy at a school, and he's thinking about installing it to remind kids not to be looking for stuff they shouldn't be looking at.

LOL.

Im done!
finished.jpg
finished 2.jpg
This rocket was great fun making, and has taken me around a week to finish :)
It's currently my favorite rocket out of my small collection at the moment, as I love Soyuz's in general (favorite rocket)
The only problem I can foresee with this rocket is maybe the parachute. Ive got to rap that chute so tight and thin to fit it into the extremely limited area they have for it, Im going to have to use a very small amount of dog barf for it.
Other then that nothing should go wrong! Hopefully Ill have a video of it's maiden flight within 2 days :) cant wait to launch this thing!

My Soyuz takes it rightful place with the rest of my rockets :)
finished 3.jpg

I'd suggest an easier level kit, but one with things you haven't done yet. Like, get a kit that requires some masking in order to paint it with multiple colors. And some decals. Spend some time filling the tube spirals, getting the balsa fins filled and sanded, and then the entire rocket primered, sanded, primered, sanded, and painted with a few colors. You'll be surprised at how nice you can get a rocket to look that way! And those are good skills to practice doing and are worth doing well.

Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b! hands down my favorite Zooch kit....looks mean and nasty when completed and flies stable as a rock. Dr. Zooch actually makes ALL of the 1bs that ever flew...from SA-203 and Apollo 5 to the 1b ASTP (my personal favorite rocket). Actually, the 1b will look pretty cool next to your Soyuz Odo....since they flew a mission together in 1975. His Lifting Body and Space Shuttle are pretty sweet too. I personally really enjoy his Lifting Body...just a neat design.

here is a pic of my Soyuz and my Saturn 1b ASTP...both really fun kits!

000_0700a.jpg

What should my next kit be guys? :)

Last edited:
I went outside in thickest clothes I could find and a motorcycle helmet and goggles, equipped with flying bug spray (close range stuff not what you said)
It tried to sting me but the parka was too thick for it :cool:
I sprayed the hell out of it until it went down. Put up quite a fight, and it actually managed to get its singer through my glove so it left its mark.
Never knew a wasp could be territorial.
Btw this is a Cicada Killer Wasp:
https://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/PPDL/images/cicada_killer_wasp-rule.jpeg

Theres tons of cicadas in my backyard so I assume thats what he came for.

Wow! I guess we're lucky--- we don't have those here (nor hornets, but we do have plenty of yellow jackets and red paper wasps... the yellow jackets are much more easily upset than the red wasps...) In southern Indiana where my wife's cousins live, they have yellow jackets that burrow in the ground-- they quit bulldozing brush/trees/old fences or doing track-hoe work in late spring because that's when they start getting bad... dig open a nest and you're going to have a bad day...

Smart move with the parka/helmet... LOL:)

My brother used to work at a tractor salvage place-- he did all the computerized inventory, putting all the parts into the system and assigning them storage space out in the outdoor shelving units (made from concrete blocks and gravel screens, with the parts sealed in five-gallon buckets to weatherproof them, after being sprayed heavily with cosmoline to prevent rust). He pretty much sat at a computer in the shop, looking up the parts on dealer master disks for every tractor that was taken apart, inventorying them, and putting them into the system (or tossing them if the part was out of spec, worn out, broken or damaged, or if they just flat already had several of them in stock and didn't need the extras taking up more space...) There were a couple other guys taking tractors apart piece by piece and sending the parts to him in boxes via one of those roller trays (like an 8 foot long skateboard that you set boxes on and push them and they go flying down to the other end). One of they guys was a little bitty older Hispanic fellow named Israel, and the other guy was his younger helper. Israel had been there a long time, and he and Jay were buddies, and therefore joked around a lot...

One day they finished disassembling a tractor, and went out to bring another one into the shop to start disassembling it. When they started messing around with it, they were soon attacked by bees who'd made a nest in the bell housing case between the clutch at the back of the engine and the actual transmission back under the driver seat... So, they backed off and debated amongst themselves how to get rid of the bees...

Israel disappeared in the back of the shop for awhile, and came back wearing a nomex painters suit, welding gloves duct taped to the sleeves, rain boots taped to the suit at the knees with duct tape, and a sandblasting hood with the little window in the front, duct taped to the shoulders of the nomex suit all the way around... Jason started laughing at him, and asked him if Mexico had started a space program, because he looked like their first astronaut... LOL:) He went outside the shop, grabbed a blowtorch on the cart, and rolled it over to the tractor in question, fired the torch up, and shoved it up into the inspection hole on the side of the transmission where you adjust the clutch, and burned the bees out... Worked pretty good... he didn't get lit up...

Also is this what you're talking about luke?
View attachment 143588
If so that is Rocketcrab's, and Im not sure I like the chrome, IMO it looks like scratched paint.

Not sure... been awhile... Thought either Mushtang or NJRick did a Soyuz or something here while back and went to special effort to add the chrome heat shields...

That's the neat thing about Zooch rockets... you can pretty much make them any way you want to... either make a straightforward, easier building "sport rocket" that you fly a lot and don't worry too much about it being superdetailed or getting bunged up... or if you want to go "whole hog" and really do the detail stuff, it's not that hard to really make them look super-awesome...

It's your rocket, and totally up to you! No right or wrong about it...

Im done!
View attachment 143622
View attachment 143623
This rocket was great fun making, and has taken me around a week to finish :)
It's currently my favorite rocket out of my small collection at the moment, as I love Soyuz's in general (favorite rocket)
The only problem I can foresee with this rocket is maybe the parachute. Ive got to rap that chute so tight and thin to fit it into the extremely limited area they have for it, Im going to have to use a very small amount of dog barf for it.
Other then that nothing should go wrong! Hopefully Ill have a video of it's maiden flight within 2 days :) cant wait to launch this thing!

Very nice...

How'd you paint the inside of the nozzles?? Brush??

If so, I might make a tiny suggestion-- you might go back into the nozzles and paint the bottom of them, where they're glued to the silver booster disks in the bottoms of the boosters, paint that part red too... IMHO it would look SO much better with the nozzles red all around the interior, instead of having those "silver centers" in them...

Course, that's up to you... just a suggestion...

Wow! I guess we're lucky--- we don't have those here

You sure about that JR? We've got 'em here....and had 'em in Houston....anywhere there are cicada's, you'll find these beasts. They live in holes in the ground. They sting cicada's to paralyze them and drag them down into the nest. Their young feed on the cicada. Their holes are surprisingly big with a dirt pile outside. Usually when you see it your first thought is "what the hell did that?".....

I have a couple in my back yard right now.....I have never been stung by one and have never seen (or heard of) one being aggressive toward humans. They generally buzz around and if you're not a cicada, you don't have anything to worry about.

Odo---Good work on the Soyuz....go for the 1B next!

You sure about that JR? We've got 'em here....and had 'em in Houston....anywhere there are cicada's, you'll find these beasts. They live in holes in the ground. They sting cicada's to paralyze them and drag them down into the nest. Their young feed on the cicada. Their holes are surprisingly big with a dirt pile outside. Usually when you see it your first thought is "what the hell did that?".....

I have a couple in my back yard right now.....I have never been stung by one and have never seen (or heard of) one being aggressive toward humans. They generally buzz around and if you're not a cicada, you don't have anything to worry about.

Maybe on the north side of Houston?? Pine trees start up there... I'm out the SW side, and we're basically prairie out here... (just north of where the swampy stuff starts down toward the coast...) We don't even usually have cicadas around here much...

Maybe on the north side of Houston?? Pine trees start up there... I'm out the SW side, and we're basically prairie out here... (just north of where the swampy stuff starts down toward the coast...) We don't even usually have cicadas around here much...

Yep...1960 & 45.....but that was back in the late 60's early 70's.....moved north in '76.

Everything in TN is more aggressive ;) same for Texas and Australia!

Very nice...

How'd you paint the inside of the nozzles?? Brush??

If so, I might make a tiny suggestion-- you might go back into the nozzles and paint the bottom of them, where they're glued to the silver booster disks in the bottoms of the boosters, paint that part red too... IMHO it would look SO much better with the nozzles red all around the interior, instead of having those "silver centers" in them...

Course, that's up to you... just a suggestion...

Good suggestion! I was thinking of doing it but wasnt sure if I should and risk ruining the inside or something.
Ill do that today :)

Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b! hands down my favorite Zooch kit....looks mean and nasty when completed and flies stable as a rock. Dr. Zooch actually makes ALL of the 1bs that ever flew...from SA-203 and Apollo 5 to the 1b ASTP (my personal favorite rocket). Actually, the 1b will look pretty cool next to your Soyuz Odo....since they flew a mission together in 1975. His Lifting Body and Space Shuttle are pretty sweet too. I personally really enjoy his Lifting Body...just a neat design.

here is a pic of my Soyuz and my Saturn 1b ASTP...both really fun kits!

View attachment 143631

Oh my gosh. Your Soyuz looks fantastic! :O
Whered you get those decals???
Also as for the IB, Im terrified to make anything from the Saturn family after my run in with the Saturn V.. :cry:
(As a side note, the first time I launched my saturn V was in heavy winds and it went hay wire and nose dived. Nothing broke, it just had dirt on the escape tower, and a sticker flew off. I launched it again yesterday on a C-6-5 and HOLY COW! That thing went straight as an arrow, it really punched into the clouds! as it was coming back down I managed to run fast enough to catch it by the shock cord before it landed :eek:)

Thanks Odo....I made the decals on the Soyuz. Found them on the web after a bit of research and then printed them onto decal paper...spray the decal paper with a setting agent and in 30 mins or so you have a set of decals. if you check out my build thread on the Soyuz I put the decal sheet on there for others who might want to try. you could probably print them out on paper and just use them all the same.

the Zooch Saturn 1b is a GREAT kit. Not just my fav Zooch kit, its my fav kit of anything including plastic models. Seriously, the trick with the 1b is rolling the tanks...if you can roll the witches hats then you can make the 1b tanks. from that point on, its really pretty straight forward. I will atach my build thread on the 1b if you are interested. There is no bad Zooch kit.....they all rock!

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?47900-Dr-Zooch-Saturn-1b-build-thread

Oh my gosh. Your Soyuz looks fantastic! :O
Whered you get those decals???
Also as for the IB, Im terrified to make anything from the Saturn family after my run in with the Saturn V.. :cry:
(As a side note, the first time I launched my saturn V was in heavy winds and it went hay wire and nose dived. Nothing broke, it just had dirt on the escape tower, and a sticker flew off. I launched it again yesterday on a C-6-5 and HOLY COW! That thing went straight as an arrow, it really punched into the clouds! as it was coming back down I managed to run fast enough to catch it by the shock cord before it landed :eek:)

Thanks Odo....I made the decals on the Soyuz. Found them on the web after a bit of research and then printed them onto decal paper...spray the decal paper with a setting agent and in 30 mins or so you have a set of decals. if you check out my build thread on the Soyuz I put the decal sheet on there for others who might want to try. you could probably print them out on paper and just use them all the same.

the Zooch Saturn 1b is a GREAT kit. Not just my fav Zooch kit, its my fav kit of anything including plastic models. Seriously, the trick with the 1b is rolling the tanks...if you can roll the witches hats then you can make the 1b tanks. from that point on, its really pretty straight forward. I will atach my build thread on the 1b if you are interested. There is no bad Zooch kit.....they all rock!

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?47900-Dr-Zooch-Saturn-1b-build-thread

I couldnt really find your Soyuz build thread.. :/ even after looking through all your recent threads. When was this?
Also if you could post a link thatd be super helpful, I really want those decals! :rolleyes:
As for the Saturn IB Ill try it after I get done with a few more kits. THe tubes and paint on the fins just look so daunting!

Just painted the insides of the engines bells red like you guys suggested, and it looks so much better without the silver at the bottom :)
Finished engines.jpg

no problem Odo....I will attach it here....its actually started as a Vostok thread...but I got hooked on the Zooch R-7s so I did the Soyuz and then the Luna and just kept adding them to my Vostok thread. The decals are on page 5 entry 128 under Soyuz.dox. hope they work for you. And I understand your concerns on the 1b....another neat Zooch kit is the Titan IIIC. Looks cool and flies great and is an easier build.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?49802-Dr-Zooch-Vostok-build-thread

I couldnt really find your Soyuz build thread.. :/ even after looking through all your recent threads. When was this?
Also if you could post a link thatd be super helpful, I really want those decals! :rolleyes:
As for the Saturn IB Ill try it after I get done with a few more kits. THe tubes and paint on the fins just look so daunting!

Quick update!
Im basically doing small touchups right now, so:
I re did the launch lug to have a nicer less blocky looking shape.
Launch lug.jpg
Ive added the decals you linked NJRick :) I didnt do exactly how you did them, instead I did 2 of the CCCP stickers, 2 of the circular purple ones, and 4 russian flags instead of 2 american 2 russian. (The decals you see are identical on the back)
Nose cone revamp.jpg
And the last thing Ive done so far is add cable tunnels made of thin strips of left over card stock. These small little strips add a lot of detail :)
Cable tunnels.jpg

The cable tunnels were inspired by NJRick's Soyuz, and the decals are also from his Soyuz :)
Its amazing how a little color on the Soyuz capsule can really make this rocket pop. Once the paint on the areas with the new Cable Tunnels dry I might add those 4 square blue ones onto the strap ons.

nice job Odo! glad the decals (or stickers) helped. I think they look neat on the Soyuz. The Soyuz is actually a pretty colorful rocket with all of the various markings that they carry now.

Quick update!
Im basically doing small touchups right now, so:
I re did the launch lug to have a nicer less blocky looking shape.
View attachment 143696
Ive added the decals you linked NJRick :) I didnt do exactly how you did them, instead I did 2 of the CCCP stickers, 2 of the circular purple ones, and 4 russian flags instead of 2 american 2 russian. (The decals you see are identical on the back)
View attachment 143697
And the last thing Ive done so far is add cable tunnels made of thin strips of left over card stock. These small little strips add a lot of detail :)
View attachment 143698

The cable tunnels were inspired by NJRick's Soyuz, and the decals are also from his Soyuz :)
Its amazing how a little color on the Soyuz capsule can really make this rocket pop. Once the paint on the areas with the new Cable Tunnels dry I might add those 4 square blue ones onto the strap ons.

Last edited:
:cheers: There ya go! The devil is in the details.....but they turn a "meh" model into a "wow" model.....I'm not saying your Soyuz was a "meh" model....

Back