Don't You Hate It When You Have A Fragment Of A Tune Stuck In Your Head...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Don't you hate it when you have a fragment of a tune stuck in your head, and you can't for the life of you remember what the song it was part of? Well that happened to me tonight... and for a moment there it was "Touch And Go"...

To figure it out, I started looking through the list of albums I have in iTunes, and when I saw "The Cars Greatest Hits" I was sure it was "Just What I Needed".

I had a tune in my head for a long time. I first heard somewhere between 1998 and 2002 (EDIT: it was 2001). It wasn't until 2022 that I finally figured out what song it was. Yes, that's 2 decades of looking for a song and not being able to find it.

I've now got this on "LOOP" repeating for several days now. When I discover a new song I usually do this, especially learning to play along note-for-note with it so that it's permanently in my mind.

There was a tune I remember hearing in high school and college that had me completely stumped. I could only remember bits and pieces of it, but nothing in any of my Billboard chart books matched up. I had it narrowed down to 1979-81, which was an oddly wide stretch of time. I figured it was one of those chestnuts that the local AOR station played a couple of times a year like Driver's Seat. In 1998 I was in Chicago for spring break with my wife and kids. We were heading for the El, and as we drove along I was punching the scan button on the stereo, trying to find something I felt like listening to. There on one of the Chicago classic rock channels was my song. I pulled over and found a parking spot, shushed the wife and kids and hoped they'd say who the artist was at the end of the song. The Tarney-Spencer Band - No Time To Lose. I was so fired up. Went home and got online and found the album. In later years I even figured out why I identified it with both high school and college. It was first released in 1979, then rereleased in 1981 after MTV played the video in the early days. It was an Australian roller disco video that seemed to have nothing to do with the theme of the song. Then again, I'm not Australian. I think it flirted with the lower reaches of the Top 40 here. There's still another song that I've been trying to find for over 50 years, but it pops into my head less and less frequently as I age.

There was a tune I remember hearing in high school and college that had me completely stumped. I could only remember bits and pieces of it, but nothing in any of my Billboard chart books matched up. I had it narrowed down to 1979-81, which was an oddly wide stretch of time. I figured it was one of those chestnuts that the local AOR station played a couple of times a year like Driver's Seat. In 1998 I was in Chicago for spring break with my wife and kids. We were heading for the El, and as we drove along I was punching the scan button on the stereo, trying to find something I felt like listening to. There on one of the Chicago classic rock channels was my song. I pulled over and found a parking spot, shushed the wife and kids and hoped they'd say who the artist was at the end of the song. The Tarney-Spencer Band - No Time To Lose. I was so fired up. Went home and got online and found the album. In later years I even figured out why I identified it with both high school and college. It was first released in 1979, then rereleased in 1981 after MTV played the video in the early days. It was an Australian roller disco video that seemed to have nothing to do with the theme of the song. Then again, I'm not Australian. I think it flirted with the lower reaches of the Top 40 here. There's still another song that I've been trying to find for over 50 years, but it pops into my head less and less frequently as I age.
I had one of those... I remembered it for having a scratchy old fashioned sound (like being played on my old Victrola phonograph)

1683805521792.png

Of course the last time I heard it, there was no name or info provided... Took me quite a while but I finally found it...

Don't you hate it when you have a fragment of a tune stuck in your head, and you can't for the life of you remember what the song it was part of?
Oh god, YES! But I usually get it within a few hours. And then, Once I figure it out, I'm usually left with that song as a regular earworm, which just adds insult to injury.

(We're a bit different, though, as I've never been a car guy.)

I've been learning this song on Flugelhorn for the last couple of weeks, so I need to play it another 50+ times

Marty - try this. A simple little jazz tune. I've been trying to learn the bass part. I'll never be an MM.

Or with Miles Davis...

They're selling postcards of the hanging,
They're painting the passports brown . . .

Stuck in my head for several weeks running.
Also - never more than a few months from my mind but stuck in it a lot lately - Jaan Pehchan Ho (embedded video threw a permission error from the YouTube side, so just giving the link)

Back