Don't You Hate It When You Have A Fragment Of A Tune Stuck In Your Head...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had two almost-heard bits of music stuck in the corner of my mind for a long time. Sure wish I could figure out what they are.

The first goes back to (I think) 1970. My older brother was on the Jr. High wrestling team. He had to get up early every morning to go in for practice/workout. This song was on the radio every morning when the alarm kicked on. It sounds a lot like Leo Kottke's "Ice Miner", but on piano.

The second is older, but I've heard it more recently. It must have been a song I learned in grade school or earlier. I was at a Thai festival in Keller, TX several years ago. There were a group of young girls doing a traditional Thai dance, and as the music ended, I realized it was the song that had been stuck in my mind. All I can remember are what I think are the ending lyrics, "across the great blue water, across the great blue sea".

I had Kung Fu Fighting stuck in my head for years. Everywhere I went I heard it. At the mall, from the car beside me in traffic, an instrumental version in an elevator.

A crazy friend thinks it’s because we are in a simulation and they are going cheap on the soundtrack.

For a few years when I was just a little guy, I’d listen to an independent radio station that played just about everything, a little outfit on 102.1 FM MHz called KPRI. The station is long off the air, with the callsign apparently being used by an unrelated entity now operating out of a local Indian reservation. But every now and then I get fragments of a melody or perhaps a single lyric stuck in my head, usually one that would return a bunch of hay if I were to go looking for the song it’s from that is the needle.

I’m glad it’s not just me.

For a few years when I was just a little guy, I’d listen to an independent radio station that played just about everything, a little outfit on 102.1 FM MHz called KPRI. The station is long off the air, with the callsign apparently being used by an unrelated entity now operating out of a local Indian reservation. But every now and then I get fragments of a melody or perhaps a single lyric stuck in my head, usually one that would return a bunch of hay if I were to go looking for the song it’s from that is the needle.

I’m glad it’s not just me.
Holy crap! I did not think you were old enough to have heard KPRI! Severely impacted my musical choices esp. electronica and synth music of a wide variety. My kids called me avant garde and still appreciate the bizarre influence they had playing in the background. My oldest loved Tomita's take on Holtz at 6 months and later appreciated Tangerine Dream. I've spent way too much money back in the day chasing the dragons of synth heaven. Still have an old English pump organ, perfect for the Fugue in D Minor. Or House of the Rising Sun. Still have 6 keyboards, just mouldering away. Like me....

Holy crap! I did not think you were old enough to have heard KPRI! Severely impacted my musical choices esp. electronica and synth music of a wide variety. My kids called me avant garde and still appreciate the bizarre influence they had playing in the background. My oldest loved Tomita's take on Holtz at 6 months and later appreciated Tangerine Dream. I've spent way too much money back in the day chasing the dragons of synth heaven. Still have an old English pump organ, perfect for the Fugue in D Minor. Or House of the Rising Sun. Still have 6 keyboards, just mouldering away. Like me....
Yeah some of the stuff on there was really weird. I mainly listened to it at night while trying to get to sleep, and that was mainly because it was the clearest station I could get in my room. You can’t even imagine the dreams it would provoke, bedtime sent me to LSD land!

I remember my first exposure to Tomita's Planets... Memories of it sparked a thread somewhere here on TRF.

Yes, I don't like it at all. I call it a "Head Worm", even though I really like the songs, as they came from my past, I still want them to go away until I ask them to come back.

A group of guys I used to work with used to stick each other with earworms; Pop your head into someones office, start it off, and run, lol.
After one of the guys got me, I went evil... Commercials. They're some of the worst earworms in existance.
If i mention a certain burger king commercial from the 70's not only will I get banned, but people will show up with pitchforks and torches, lol.The fix for an earworm is a short, definite musical sequence WITH an END. The intel commercial tones from the intel inside campaign works for me.

Frank Zappa is always running around in my head. I listened to so much of it in college I could sing along. In the car only. When I take a road trip I take several Zappa CD's with me. Today I heard Apostrophe. One of my favorites.
My favorite Zappa Lp for sure.

The main reason I am extremely picky about music is to avoid earworms with songs I don't like. I refuse to listen to most contemporary pop not only because I don't like it, but because I know a lot of it is specifically designed to be catchy and stick in your head. Hear it once, and it will never go away. So I try to avoid hearing it.

Lately it's the Doobie Brothers song "China Grove", oriental sounding small piano lick, supposedly by Billy Paine of the band " Little Feet"

Back