Does your wife know how much you spend on rocketry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does your wife/spouse/partner/significant other know how much money you spend on rock

• She doesn't know or care how much money I spend on rocketry.

• Yes, we make all spending decisions jointly.

• Yes, and she complains about it too.

• No, but even if she knew how much I spend on rocketry, she wouldn't care.

• No, and if she knew how much money I spend on rocketry she would give me a hard time about it.

• I don't have a wife/spouse/partner/significant other.

• I don't have any money.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sweet!

When do I move in?
:p
Ahh- currently that room is filled with rockets, but..you can move in here-oh wait so is that one. Here, this is a little smaller with a view-uh no-too many rockets. I'll put up a cot in the garage-as soon as I move some rockets.....

Last edited:
Ahh- currently that room is filled with rockets, but..you can move in here-oh wait so is that one. Here, this is a little smaller with a view-uh no-too many rockets. I'll put up a cot in the garage-as soon as I move some rockets.....
I can fit in 24 inch sono tube... :p

There should have been a choice, "My Wife DOES know and does not care."

My wife encourages me in all my hobbies. As long as I am reasonable and don't do something stupid like overdraft or exceed a credit limits, I can do what I wish. Frankly I am more likely to approach her and ask even though she'll say, "Fine. Go right ahead."

YMMV

My wife is sort of weirdly interested in the rocket thing. She offers her strong opinions on what colors to paint the rockets, and she is always eager to watch a launch. She enjoys pushing the button. A lot. One day we were in the hobby store browsing the rocket section. She pointed at one and said, "Oooo. Build that one. It has cute fins." It was a nice little two-stage, so I built it. It turned out nice. I used basswood for the fins for the first time. Nice breakthrough there. I've tried to get her motivated to fill and sand; I told her a sanding and filling session is fun and promotes weight loss. She ain't having it. She is all excited about me building a Commanche III that is painted hot pink and has Hello Kitty decals. I think that would be funny so I'll probably do it. I would consider it a waste of time though. I do have an unbuilt Commanche, but I think that one might have to be built to specs. We shall see. Stay tuned.

Is it actually a minority for singles to be involved in this hobby, or do most of us figure this thread doesnt concern us, not open it, and not see the second to last option?

I usually answer these substituting parents/roommates or whoever pays a significant portion of rent.

I dont think my parents realized that when my Iris drifted into the corn it was a week and a half pay lost, or they would've been asking me for more than a hundred bucks rent when I lived with them.

I dont think my brother knows that my briefcase full of motor cases is worth my half of our apartments rent for almost two months, and I guess it's none of his business as long as I pay my half every month, though I'm sure if he knew he'd expect me to pay back some money I had borrowed from him more quickly than I am.

Yes she knows. It's something that the kids and I share and it makes gor good "Dad & Kids" time.

Is it actually a minority for singles to be involved in this hobby, or do most of us figure this thread doesnt concern us, not open it, and not see the second to last option?

Who knows? I suspect the majority of people here are BARs and are taking up rocketry as a hobby because they did so as a kid and now are past the "Find a spouse and have kids" stage, or have kids and want to share rocketry, or (like me) have earned a position that now allows them to have enough disposable income to light rolled up $20 bills in the back of a tube. They too tend to be married.

The Missus has a good idea of what I spend (and relative to a lot of you—it ain't all that much), but she figures, I'm float'in the boat, everything is swimming and it doesn't affect day to day expenditures. She gets what she wants and/or needs. She's not materialistic at all. Besides, I sit at the kitchen table and build rockets and she doesn't mind. We chit-chat an' chicken salad and watch glue dry. It works for her. Me too.

There should have been a choice, "My Wife DOES know and does not care."

Yeah that was supposed to be the first option. I realized immediately that I had screwed it up but once you post a poll thread, you can't make any changes. Options 1 and 4 are pretty much identical.

As long as you aren't mean and give me 3 parts resin to 1 part resin...
:rofl:
You're hired! here's the sandpaper and some epoxy-don't let it get in your hair....

("Dave-why does the inside of that nose cone smell like gym socks? "You mean the one with the hair stuck in it?)
"
"

Mine is the driving force . And she is alway there giving me ideas . And I scratch build a lot . As long everything is paid she does not care what I spend .

we both buy stuff with our own money and I only get frowny faces when I default, and it has been years since I did that

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Are you trying to get us all in trouble, man??????:bangpan:

After 40 years together we each know that the other is trustworthy and wouldn't trade the family car for a tattoo (Jack In The Box commercial reference).

As long as all the bills are paid, there's food in the fridge, gas in the car, clothes on our backs, money in savings, and we vacation and dine out regularly, we pretty much spend what we like on our hobbies.

At a certain point in our lives we all realize that we just can't buy traveler's checks and take it with us so may as well live happy now.

It's rocketry zen.

I am one of the lucky ones, my wife encourages me to spend money on rocketry. Sometimes I will let her know I am saving money for a family trip or something else and she tells me to buy rocket gear.

Since I am studying Aerospace engineering she wants me to learn as much as I can and build as much as I can. She wants me to have have skills and background on my resume.

My wife has no idea, and doesn't care. As long as I'm not impacting our ability to pay bills, or do take care of things that need to be done, she doesn't care.

At the same time, there are times I have to tell her to spend money on herself. Once last year, I told her to get in the car. She asked why. I told her she'd find out. Halfway there, I told her she was buying herself some new clothes and had a minimum she was going to spend.

-Kevin

My wife has no idea, and doesn't care. As long as I'm not impacting our ability to pay bills, or do take care of things that need to be done, she doesn't care.

At the same time, there are times I have to tell her to spend money on herself. Once last year, I told her to get in the car. She asked why. I told her she'd find out. Halfway there, I told her she was buying herself some new clothes and had a minimum she was going to spend.

-Kevin
Hear,Hear! I have done the same myself. She only has like three pairs of shoes. I call her Abby. Abby Normal.

We have a house appropriations committee....we each have some pocket money which can be soent how we like, larger items are tabled for discussion and a justification is required which is then scrutinised. How much ? Why do we need it ? What does it do that we cant do already ? Etc etc.

Rocketry in the house also has some other challenges like where will you store it ? :)

Currently owing to a christmas induced budget deficit spending has been suspended on all non essential requisitions :)

Do what I did, get rid of the wife and you can spend whatever you want.

Wish I could!!!! I still spend what I want regardless of what she says.....no joint accounts=no questions

Preston

Back