Can you help me with reading open rocket simulations?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_Another

Reaction score
Can you help me with reading simulation results especially yaw rate, pitch rate and roll rate. As i know those are most importent rates because that they give us information about rocket's movement on x y and z axis. But i didn't much understand how to read them.

Select a simulation and then Plot/Export data.

On the plot tab, choose "New Y Axis Plot Type", or else simply redefine one of the ones that is already there. The three rates are available about a third of the way down in the list.
1703360225876.png

Whey you've selected the appropriate Y axis types, click "Plot" and you'll get them.

I honestly don't know what sort of numbers you'll get for these parameters. I wouldn't expect much (if any) roll unless you have canted fins. As for pitch and yaw... don't know. If you have a particular ORK file that is showing numbers that you can't interpret, post it here (or just screenshot the plot) and we'll see what we can do.

You'll get pitch and yaw rates based on whatever the 6DOF simulation determines the rocket is doing, based on the wind inputs and dynamic stability calculations. The relationship between that and actual rocket behavior is probably not going to be very direct.

Back