Computer power requirement for rocketry software.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazmat54

Reaction score
I use my smartphone for everything and no longer have a desktop computer. I do have a 2010 MacBook laptop. Would that be powerful enough to run RocSim or OpenRocket?

I have a six year-old Dell laptop with an Intel Core I5, it runs OR (and just about everything else) just fine. It helps to have enough memory (8 GB is probably enough), and get rid of the rotating hard drive and get a good SSD instead. That makes a world of difference... modern OS's hit the storage very hard.

I run OR on a 2008 MacBook with 3 GB of RAM with no issues. Best buy sells 128 GB SSD drives for 20-25 bucks. That model should be fairly easy to swap if you're up for it.

OR is fairly light-weight, the biggest burden being the Java virtual environment which can suck up a bit of ram. Anything made in the last 10 years should have zero problems running it.

I run Open Rocket on an Atom Tablet from 2009. N450 processor with 1GB RAM, runs just fine.

I use my smartphone for everything and no longer have a desktop computer. I do have a 2010 MacBook laptop. Would that be powerful enough to run RocSim or OpenRocket?
small screen w/ constant scrolling and virtual keyboard do not affect your performance? I need my 22 " screen and mechanical keyboard.

Not that anyone asked; moments ago I was able to confirm that openrocket will not run on windows 98. On paper it should run but in practice there are errors that I don't want to pour a bunch of time into.
I would post this from said windows 98 laptop but threads on TRF can only be viewed and not posted.

Back