Cluster 4x24 BT-80 Pictures attached

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had some extra parts laying around and decided to build a rocket. One day I was sitting on the patio with my girlfriend and she had just finished getting her nails done. They were black, silver and hot pink and I though what a cool combo. So I told her I would build a rocket for her using those colors. I figure by doing so I would get her more involved and we could spend weekends when I have the time and cash and shoot them off.

The rocket itself is just a BT-80 4x24 cluster for "D and E" motors. It has an Apogee nose pictured in the background and the fins are 3/16" balsa fins that have been skinned with copy paper. The nose cone I started painting to match the upper portion design on the rocket should have it done soon.

I used Duplicolor primers and the top coat is Rustoleum Ultra 2x cover Gloss White. After I painted the gloss white two days later I handle the rocket to inspect the paint job and by doing so I left some small finger prints. I should have just left them alone, but being a perfectionist I had to wet sand and then spray another coat of white. Well the paint crazed and it was even worse. Yeah just my dumb luck! I waited a couple days and wet sand the craze out. this time I just left the finis dull and started with the other colors, which consist of Rustoleum Neon Pink, Tester's Metallic Silver and Duplicolor Flat Black. I pretty much just painted the rocket with paint I had laying around and wanted to use up what I thought would look good. The nose as I write this already has the "Van Halen" design on it and is painted hot pink. All I have to do tonight and add some more tape lines and paint over it flat black. So when I pull the tape up it will match the pink and white under lines. Yes I did line up the lines coming off the top of the body tube to match the nose. I even keep the same pattern on the shoulder.

Someone on here suggested using Rustoleum Crystal Clear 2x for the top clear coat, which is what I want to do to finish the rocket and bring the gloss out on the white that I wet sanded and also the other colors on the rocket. I just hope that it doesn't craze and that it's compatible with the other paints. IDK? It seems every paint something always happens:lol:

Any feed back on the clear coat would be greatly appreciated. Can you guys steer me in the right direction. I know you have to use very light coats and gradually build it up until you get the desire finish.

My question is how light coats do you use and what is the time frame that should be allowed for this process?? I know even when painting top coats some manufacturers suggest light coats when applying paint and to gradually apply heavier coats each time until you get 3-4 coats evenly within an hour time frame spread out every 15 minutes.

I'll post the nose cone later tonight when I finish it.

As you guessed it I will be using a 24" neon pink Top Flight chute. I was also considering maybe a Topflight "X" type parachute. As far as size I would have to put the specs in ROCKSIM and sim it out. Since an "X" chute has less drag I was thinking maybe a 30" pink and black.

2012-06-28 17.59.47.jpg

2012-06-28 17.59.56.jpg

2012-06-28 18.00.08.jpg

2012-06-28 18.00.20.jpg

Last edited:
That's a crazy complicated paint scheme, I wouldn't trust it to Rusto clear coat. I've been using Future acrylic mixed with some Simple green. Marc G has an old thread on it here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?23500-A-primer-on-Future-Floor-Wax-usage
I haven't found anything that it's not compatible with, and it's dead simple to apply. Just be careful using it on parts you want to come off, like nosecones. It's a pretty good glue if you let it dry in the seam between the BT and the N/C.
:y:

Will the future work on flat neon colors. What can I expect for results?

I've used it on Rusto fluorescent orange and green, both colors shine up pretty good. I'd call it semi-gloss.
Here it is on Sharons Starburst:
005.jpg

Last edited:
Well I emailed Marc and waiting for his response back and I skimmed the thread he posted. He's very knowledgeable. He mentioned using the Crystal Clear on the neon colors. My concern is the flat black Duplicolor Paint and the Testor's Silver and their compatibility with the clear. I can always spray a spare tube and see what happens?

Thanks QQUAKE...try it sometime. The colors really pop out. Wait until I post the nose cone later tonight. Check back on this thread. I'll have the whole rocket on here when it's done...as soon as I get brave enough to clear it LOL

Last edited:
Yeah Marc highly recommends that mix. I plan on spraying the nose and body separate to avoid what you mentioned about the parts sticking together.

My concern is the moisture of the Future polish and Simple Green. Wouldn't it damage the body tube. I'm sure it is just misted on, but that's only concern I would have is with it soaking to the card board underneath, but then again I have a lot of coats of primer and paint on it already. I would probably stuff paper in the top of the tube to prevent any dripping inside.

Last edited:
I use a small foam brush to apply it with, never had it soak into paint. It does drip down the body tube and drip off at the bottom of the fins, but you can wipe it off the trailing edges with a paper towel. If you stuff something into an opening and get future on it, be sure to remove it before it dries!

I sure wish I could paint like that. I can design rockets but my painting is terrible. Just ask Jeff.

Andrew

I sure wish I could paint like that. I can design rockets but my painting is terrible. Just ask Jeff.

Andrew

Andrew you should give yourself more credit. I can't paint that great either. Something always seems to go wrong. Neon and flat colors are way more forgiving...try them out. If you are unsure just practice the pattern you want on some some scrap body tubes until you get a feel for how you want it and how the paint flows.

I'm shocked and amazed at being singled out as knowlegeable in this area. :blush:

For what it's worth, here are my thoughts in roughly the order they occur to me:

1. Dude, awesome bird, and great way to get your girlfriend engaged in the hobby.
2. I wouldn't touch this rocket with any enamel or (definitely!) any lacquer clearcoat.
3. I would do the Future + Simple Green approach. I brush it on, with the nose cone OFF. Listen to what Wayco said about the future turning into glue. One of my rockets is an inch shorter than one would expect... guess why?!

4. I've moved away from enamel paints and enamel clearcoats. Never used the 2X version of Rusto but their regular paints gave me inconsistent results even following directions to the letter, and even when being super conservative. I had one plain white Rusto enamel bird with a Rusto fluorescent cone... it was cured for two weeks during a warmish spring. Both had the usual filler primer / white primer base. Using Rusto clear I misted on a fog coat of Rusto clear coat. No problem. Short time later sprayed a medium coat, and let it sit a bit. No problem, but it needed one more coat to flow out. Hit it with a slightly heavier coat and set it down. Came back half an hour and found the white paint had crinkled in several locations (no probs with the fluorescent paint, which eliminates the primers as the source of the problem, since both nose and body got the same priming). I've also had Rusto enamels crinkle going on top of prior coats even following can instructions.

5. I've also found Rusto clearcoat quite prone to blush/milking in moderately humid conditions.

6. Now, if I'm going to use spray cans for anything other than a single coat without clear, I use only lacquers (and fluorescents, which have always been good to me). If everything is lacquer-based I've never had a problem with crazing / crackling.

7. I'm using up my spray cans and not buying any more, except for the primers that have been good to me and Valspar high gloss clear lacquer which I think is great. I also like Duplicolor PAint Shop system metalic clear, which I spray with a disposable Preval aerosol sprayer.

8. Except for the things mentioned in #7 I'm switching full on to water based acrylics sprayed via airbrush. Cheaper, and fewer weather restrictions and compatibility issues. And they work fine with sprayed on primers and clears.

9. I've never had Future hurt anything. Sometimes Future plus Simple Green can dissolve a little bit of the acrylic airbrush paint and smear a bit. Either way, I brush on future now, instead of spraying it with a squeeze bottle as described in that "floor wax" thread. I've converted!

I think that's all... I'll be following this thread!

Marc

WHOA!!! Now that's a very cool paint scheme !! And a good looking build if I do say so---nice detail work!! I'm not gonna give you any advice on the clear---I don't want to be the one to screw it up----you know where I live----I would do a test run on a seperate bt though. if the rusto does'nt work try valspar--- drys really --really fast----remember---nice and light the first few coats ---after they dry go heavier---works about 99% of the time ---it's that stinkin 1% I hate-------Great job buddy !!!!

So how heavy did you spray it on and how long did you let it set up? Overnight I'm assuming. Did you have to wipe off any excess?

I'm assuming you are talking about the Future? It's designed to be put on with a mop, so I use a foam brush. It dries like water and you can put on a second coat as soon as it dries, but I have never used more than one coat except for a repair and I just brushed on another coat. I did wipe off the trailing edge of the fins and the bottom of the body tube on Sharons rocket, this stuff is not like paint, you can just wipe it off and start over if you want to but it's so easy to use I have never had to redo anything.

Here are some more pictures of the rocket...just needs the clear applied. It turned out ok, but I should have worked in the larger white tape lines into the nose cone. For the most part it turned out ok.007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg

Marc I'm going to take both you and Wayco's advice and brush the future on with a foam brush with the simple green mixed in. I have a bunch of cans of Duplicolor enamels (which in my opinion is decent paint and the primers are excellent) so I need to finish those off first before switching to another paint system such as lacquers.

I never really had any issues with enamels, only when I applied a clear coat over them. If you put too much on it crazes the paint finish as you mentioned in #4. What I would like to do eventually is just get a spray gun, compressor and an air brush for the finer detailed paint scheme. Rattle cans are ok and I never tried the lacquers, but would like too...I just hate going into a paint job and always having to deal with that "What Now?"

You guys have been a big help....and glad you like the rocket. It does look cool and I will post the finished pictures after I applied the future.

Thanks again!

Wow--just wow, Deb and I were sitting here thinking----the nose cone is gonna make the build, but if he gets it wrong?? Well , it looks to me like you got it dead on ---nice, nice , nice----H

I went to Home Depot and picked up a few things. Couple foam brushes and a bucket (I bought one of those bucket top organizers). I applied the Future floor wax to my rocket and it looks ok so far. I want to let it dry to have a better evaluation. I brushed the floor wax on and now it's just setting up. I noticed some streaks, but figure I can wipe those out later. I might apply a second coat tomorrow. First time I tried this method. At least the paint didn't craze...

next time I use the paint scheme I won't have the thick white line extend to the end of the body tube. It should stop at the first white ban below the body tube. Aside from that it looks cool.

I still think it needs some vinyl.
Not anything over whelmimng.
Maybe just the circle part on 2 fins and one "Licorice flavored Candy" with the plum and black stripe running up the Bt in the wide white stripe.
After looking at this beauty again,I like it even more.
Nice Job-- 'burner!

I went ahead and brush on two coats of the Future floor polish. I waited a day between coats and for the most part it turned out ok. Kind of semi-gloss, but at least the paint didn't craze on me. I figure after several flights and landings it will have a few areas of scars so it won't matter much. My girlfriend definitely likes the rocket. I'll post pictures later this week.

Thanks again for your feed back on finishing it. ;)

Hopefully I can get out to the dry lake bed in a few weeks and get this on video. Going to send it up on (4) D12-7's. I'm looking forward to see my girlfriend's face when she hits the launch button.

Back