Cluster 4x24 BT-80 Pictures attached

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reading this thread I noticed that when you guys were talking about having problems with Krylon there was absolutely no mention of sanding between coats. I have been using Krylon and similar spray enamels for years without any problems, but then I was a custom painter for years and learned that you ALWAYS wet sand between coats to ensure - not only good coverage - good adhesion. This is especially true when spraying a clear coat as it tends to be slippery-er than most color coats.Thats why it gets its gloss. If you continue to apply coat after coat without sanding then - yeah - your going to have problems.

reading this thread I noticed that when you guys were talking about having problems with Krylon there was absolutely no mention of sanding between coats. I have been using Krylon and similar spray enamels for years without any problems, but then I was a custom painter for years and learned that you ALWAYS wet sand between coats to ensure - not only good coverage - good adhesion. This is especially true when spraying a clear coat as it tends to be slippery-er than most color coats.Thats why it gets its gloss. If you continue to apply coat after coat without sanding then - yeah - your going to have problems.

So wet sand between each color coat correct?

wow what a coincidence look at the guitars paint job at about 36 or 37 seconds in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NshzYK9y0

No coincidence my friend!

From the original post:
"The nose as I write this already has the "Van Halen" design on it and is painted hot pink. All I have to do tonight and add some more tape lines and paint over it flat black. So when I pull the tape up it will match the pink and white under lines. Yes I did line up the lines coming off the top of the body tube to match the nose. I even keep the same pattern on the shoulder."

Honestly pretty much anyone who had MTV in the 1980s would know this was a copped Van Halen design :) Glad you recognized though!

No coincidence my friend!

From the original post:
"The nose as I write this already has the "Van Halen" design on it and is painted hot pink. All I have to do tonight and add some more tape lines and paint over it flat black. So when I pull the tape up it will match the pink and white under lines. Yes I did line up the lines coming off the top of the body tube to match the nose. I even keep the same pattern on the shoulder."

Honestly pretty much anyone who had MTV in the 1980s would know this was a copped Van Halen design :) Glad you recognized though!

:jaw:
cool idea sorry I didn't pay attention to the original post:caffeine:
Shame....I wasn't around in 1980 ooh well still a really cool idea.
Thinking:bang:.......hold on....what if someone made a rocket guitar......a rocktar with this paint job:y::jaw::wave:

Last edited:
Flis has a rocket that is modeled after the lines on the mighty Gibson Flying V: https://fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/kit_detail/rockstar.htm

rockstar.jpg

I was thinking an Explorer would be a good source of inspiration:
0dca9b2a-1f98-48c4-91f2-4aaec5e16d66.jpg

Plus, thanks for the link to the panama video - always good to hear that one and see the antics they would do for a video back in the day. I miss the creativity that seems to be devoid in the music scene now.

Wet sand between color coats and clear with 1200 grit. It's just enough to scuff the surface to hold the clear.

Here are the finished pictures of the rocket with my girlfriend Sheryl posing with her new rocket. I'm looking forward to sending this rocket up. I decided to go with a 36" military flare chute to assure that it comes down for a soft touch down.

001.jpg002.jpg004.jpg

imo pic #2 is more flattering to both models :). nicely done.
rex

Back