Nose Cone Painting techniques

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started building again after many years and haven’t tried the Duplicolor yet for rockets but heard nothing but good on the product. (have used for autos.

I use Duplicolor HI-BUILD 2 in 1 filler and sandals primer. It works well. The way I use it is to accomplish a smooth surface, rather than sanding down to the actual BT surface. Once I feel a smooth and even surface with my hand on the BT, I know we are set

Also, I ensure I can’t see any spirals after sanding, If I do, I re prime with filler and sand again

Here are results from my process, I just got back into finishing this Zephyr Jr

DCCA3D19-CECC-4EFA-9F7F-122244D9BE83.jpeg

PS. - prime with filler, follow instructions as to how many coats, and sand. If spirals or low spots are visible after filler coats, FIRST sand. I realized that the primer is contouring to the BT rather than needing more filler. Once sanded, you will realize that the BT low spots/ spirals had already been filled

I use Duplicolor HI-BUILD 2 in 1 filler and sandals primer. It works well. The way I use it is to accomplish a smooth surface, rather than sanding down to the actual BT surface. Once I feel a smooth and even surface with my hand on the BT, I know we are set

Also, I ensure I can’t see any spirals after sanding, If I do, I re prime with filler and sand again

Here are results from my process, I just got back into finishing this Zephyr Jr

View attachment 593717

PS. - prime with filler, follow instructions as to how many coats, and sand. If spirals or low spots are visible after filler coats, FIRST sand. I realized that the primer is contouring to the BT rather than needing more filler. Once sanded, you will realize that the BT low spots/ spirals had already been filled

That paint has only slightly less texture than the wall behind it.

That paint has only slightly less texture than the wall behind it.
I don’t know why the paint came out that way (Rustoleum 2x gloss green) I don’t mind it however as it’s relatively smooth. Perhaps I bought a textured paint can and didn’t realize. I will check

Back