3D Printing Clear FDM for fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Long_Gone

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So what are the thoughts of using a clear filament for rockets that need fins but don't really have them i.e.. Minuteman Missile?

Clear is not clear. It's frosted at best. There are some ways to print FDM so that it minimizes the opacity but I've never seen a "clear" print. Transparent parts can be printed with different techniques and slicer settings from other opaque filaments like no cooling, slower speeds and no parameters. Also, for best results, you have to print at 100% infill (or no infill but that's hard to do). Fins would be better suited for transparent printing because they are not complex shapes. That said, there are several online tutorials on how to print transparent filament.

If I were you, I'd buy a roll of transparent PETG and give it a try (I use Overture). If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, then the worst thing is you have some extra filament to play around with for other projects!

If you want to print clear, use PETG. It takes tinkering to get it clear. You must print slowly and choose the right settings - hint - check out YouTube.

They are not truly clear, but you can come close.

I ordered some Polymaker clear PETG coming tomorrow. I will have to do some tests for bets quality on the printer before making the fins so I can try to get it dialed in. Slow and warm-ish. I watched several videos and I have some good information.

Someone say polycarbonate fins? I made them a bit thicker than necessary and as a result they're a bit more visible, but still pretty good).
1710292421525.png

Honestly, I wouldn't trust printed fins to ever be as clear as I'd want them, at least given the current state of the technology. This seems like a perfect example of where 3D printing is not the best answer.

Someone say polycarbonate fins? I made them a bit thicker than necessary and as a result they're a bit more visible, but still pretty good).
View attachment 635174

Honestly, I wouldn't trust printed fins to ever be as clear as I'd want them, at least given the current state of the technology. This seems like a perfect example of where 3D printing is not the best answ tprinted

View attachment 635174

Honestly, I wouldn't trust printed fins to ever be as clear as I'd want them, at least given the current state of the technology. This seems like a perfect example of where 3D printing is not the best answer.
So they are printed?

I've tried the Polymaker clear filament with the wash station. The filament itself is pretty much clear, but internal lines and bubbles make it far from transparent as a whole part.

Back