Recreate Estes MX Missile??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUSTanker

Reaction score
Hi!

Have always wanted to try one of these classic 1980s kits, but after looking for several months on Evil Bay, they're either hard to find, or sell out instantly!

Looks like it's a basic BT-60 tube. There are some snazzy new repro decals for sale for this kit on Evil Bay, but of course I'd still need the nose cone, nozzle at the other end, and clear plastic tail fin unit.

Any suggestions on if this is feasible? It doesn't have to be a perfect match internally, just cosmetic- if it looks like an MX on the outside and flies, that's fine!

I'm OK with using a slightly different shape clear plastic tail fin, too, for example (since it's clear anyway!), but I still need that stubby, short nose cone, plus the plastic nozzle piece and engine lock nut at the other end.

Do any of you have any suggestions for sourcing those parts? Many thanks!

Best,

Christian

The only BT-60 Fin Can/Set that includes the piece that glues into the BT-60 that the removable fin set twists into that I have found are Black. These are on the Estes Crayon ,Freefall, Bailout etc models.

Here is a missile looking nose cone: https://www.rocketarium.com/Build/Nose-Cones/Alarm

Have no idea how to make the fake nozzle that screws into the BT-60 internal fin piece except 3D printing

Edit: you would tear off the Crayon body tube from the fin lock at the bottom and glue that into a regular BT-60 tube you could paint a missile color.

USA original source of Nose Cone:
https://www.rocketarium.com/Build/Nose-Cones/Alarm

Last edited:
Hi!

Have always wanted to try one of these classic 1980s kits, but after looking for several months on Evil Bay, they're either hard to find, or sell out instantly!

Looks like it's a basic BT-60 tube. There are some snazzy new repro decals for sale for this kit on Evil Bay, but of course I'd still need the nose cone, nozzle at the other end, and clear plastic tail fin unit.

Any suggestions on if this is feasible? It doesn't have to be a perfect match internally, just cosmetic- if it looks like an MX on the outside and flies, that's fine!

I'm OK with using a slightly different shape clear plastic tail fin, too, for example (since it's clear anyway!), but I still need that stubby, short nose cone, plus the plastic nozzle piece and engine lock nut at the other end.

Do any of you have any suggestions for sourcing those parts? Many thanks!

Best,

Christian

Do you have a 3D printer?

I made a clone many years ago.
Nose cone was balsa from Roachwerks/Gordy Agnello, but he may no longer be active.
Same nose cone used in the Mini Mars Lander.
I think I saw one on one of the 3d printed websites. Check Thingiverse and Shapeways. Might be pricey.
Nozzle was cardstock. You can use the transition/nozzle/shroud generator at Payload Bay.
Decals were home printed from the scans at Jimz's.
Instead of clear plastic fins I cut mine from balsa using the templates at Jimz's. Then glued them on to a ring made from a tp tube. Secure with friction fit or tape. Remove for display. But you can make clear ones yourself from a clear plastic sheet. The ring can be made from a thinner flexible sheet. At the time I didn't have the tools for cutting plastic.
Hope this helps!

I made a clone many years ago.
Nose cone was balsa from Roachwerks/Gordy Agnello, but he may no longer be active.
Same nose cone used in the Mini Mars Lander.
I think I saw one on one of the 3d printed websites. Check Thingiverse and Shapeways. Might be pricey.
Nozzle was cardstock. You can use the transition/nozzle/shroud generator at Payload Bay.
Decals were home printed from the scans at Jimz's.
Instead of clear plastic fins I cut mine from balsa using the templates at Jimz's. Then glued them on to a ring made from a tp tube. Secure with friction fit or tape. Remove for display. But you can make clear ones yourself from a clear plastic sheet. The ring can be made from a thinner flexible sheet. At the time I didn't have the tools for cutting plastic.
Hope this helps!

I can do it for a small price. Cheaper than shapways.

For the fin can... Doesn't every club have a lost n found box with assorted orphan parts like that?

I picked up a couple of the nose cones in a late-night buy-it-now frenzy. I bought an Estes Freefall from eRockets and had the basic rocket flyable within a couple of hours. I had a clear fin can that came with the Estes Beta Launch Vehicle, but I wanted to keep that for an Estes Thor-Agena B clone. I was pretty happy with how the MX Missile looked with the white painted fin can. I was less than happy with the decals. My fault. I rushed to finish them before the first flight and it showed. Since they're all black, it will be a simple matter of reprinting a set and pulling the offending set off.
https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes---mx-missile.html
https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes---thor-agena-b.html

Back