CJ's "HOW TO BUILD A DARKSTAR 3 OR ANY GLASS KIT BUILD" STARTS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I am starting to build, I have some questions, and will likley have more. This is my second FG high power rocket. I am going to do the build fairly close to stock. My kit comes out at 82 inches long. I am looking for a CP, it doesn't seem to be on the Wildman site or in the build sheets, and Tim hasn't answered my email, he is probably still recovering from Black Friday. I have found some CP's in TRF threads, but nothing for my version of a stock build, I have seen CP's given 75 to 87 inches in length. I know this kit is over-stable, but you still have to prove yours is stable at the RSO table. I do not have ROCSIM or Openrocket software. Any insight and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Now that I am starting to build, I have some questions, and will likley have more. This is my second FG high power rocket. I am going to do the build fairly close to stock. My kit comes out at 82 inches long. I am looking for a CP, it doesn't seem to be on the Wildman site or in the build sheets, and Tim hasn't answered my email, he is probably still recovering from Black Friday. I have found some CP's in TRF threads, but nothing for my version of a stock build, I have seen CP's given 75 to 87 inches in length. I know this kit is over-stable, but you still have to prove yours is stable at the RSO table. I do not have ROCSIM or Openrocket software. Any insight and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Which rocket? I looked but don’t see where you tell us.

The RockSim file on Wildman's site doesn't have a file for the DS 3 that I could find. I did upscale a DS that was listed for download but it comes out to 79.454" in height.

I would need the actual lengths of your DS parts to get a more accurate CP location.

DS-3.A.jpgDS-3.B.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Tobor! My kit parts have the following dimensions: Booster 44 inches, switchband 1 inch, payload 22 inches, and the nose cone is 15 inches. I did download OpenRocket last night, and the RKT files from Wildman, I agree that none of the existing files match my kit's configuration. I think it will take me a little time to figure out how to use the software, so I really apprecaite your assistance.

I posted Rocksim files for the 2.6" DS, the 3"DS and the 4" DS in this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/darkstar-series-build.162848
1614290676712.png

I will post the RKT file I have for my DS 3 kit below, but I highly recommend modifying each part in the file to match the parts you received. There can be quite a bit of variance in parts between kits.

Incidentally, the CP on my 3" DS is at 70.84".

Here is the 3"file for the parts I got in my kit:

Attachments

• Darkstar 3.rkt
    174.4 KB · Views: 14
Back