Cesaroni Technology and Animal Motor Works announce merger of HPR product lines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddmobley

Reaction score
SARASOTA, Florida USA (RP NEWSWIRE) — After several months of planning and discussion, Cesaroni Technology Incorporated (CTI) and Animal Motor Works (AMW) will begin cooperative production of their respective product lines and new product development.

The product production and marketing merger will make AMW/Pro-X® the industry's largest manufacturer of high power rocketry motors and reloads. The product merger will also accelerate AMW's production transition from its previous New Hampshire location. Some of the new products will include a new line of propellants that will be marketed under the Kryptonite™ brand name.

These new propellants will be manufactured on CTI's state of the art manufacturing equipment. The product line will include high performance colors and effects formulations in addition to classic favorites that will be certified for use in AMW, Pro-X® as well as Brand A hardware systems.

In April of this year, CTI received DOT and ERD 1.4C shipping classifications for its 75mm and 98mm moon burner line as well as a new series of 54mm, long burn reload systems. Smoky Sam propellant is also included in this approval.

Initial production and pre-certification testing of color and effects propellants is currently underway. All propellants produced by CTI are ferrocene and catocene free, ensuring long life, stability and safety while maintaining predictable ballistics due to associated migration and sublimation issues.

In addition to the traditional reload configurations that have been previously available, the AMW line plans to offer Pro-X style, drop-in, modular reloads for some of its existing hardware cases. Both companies are also planning 24mm and 29mm systems that will include Brand A compatibility as the product line expands.

Production of single-use model rocket motors is also being considered for 2008 once the new line has been established. Previously, CTI limited production of small single-use rocket motors to commercial and defense R&D applications.

Certification of new products will also include California State Fire Marshall approval so California flyers will have access to the entire AMW/Pro-X line. Manufacturing and distribution is planned from both Canadian and U.S. locations with certifications and the first new product releases scheduled for this fall.

Animial Motor Works: https://www.animalmotorworks.com/
Pro-X: https://www.pro38.com/
Cesaroni Technology Incorporation: https://www.cesaroni.net/

Full press release at: https://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/2013/28/

ok someone call 911 for me I am having a heart attack.

Ben

Is "brand A" AT? If I am reading that right that means AMW/AT/CTI/Kosdon (using KBA) loads are compatible?
That's not what it says. The press release says that AMW/CTI will have reloads that work in their hardware (obviously) as well as will produce reloads that will work in Brand A hardware. It doesn't mean all reloads fit all hardware.

Be prepared for the battle of the propellant mfg'rs I would not be surprised if AT came out fairly soon with reloads for all the ProX series. Wouldn't surprise me if they were cheaper than CTI's reloads either.

This is going to get bloody before it's over.

-Aaron

That's not what it says. The press release says that AMW/CTI will have reloads that work in their hardware (obviously) as well as will produce reloads that will work in Brand A hardware. It doesn't mean all reloads fit all hardware.

True I mean it like this.
AT in AMW
AMW in CTI
AT in CTI
CTI in AMW

Ben

How about that? I just heard this rumor on Sunday, and already it's reality.

Does this mean that the Zoo will now (or sometime in the future) be in drop in ProX configuration with easily adjustable delays?
EDIT: I mean, will AMW propellants be offered in the same way as Pro 38. In other words, would I be able to buy perhaps a 3 grain Red Rhino CTI style reload, or a 5 grain Skid CTI style reload that work in the Pro38 hardware?

Or is it that things will remain fairly the same, just that both companies are under the same umbrella?

By the way - what happened to the "AMW wish list thread?" You know, the LOOOONG thread where people (like me) were posting what we'd like to see from AMW - a whole lot of *downward* expansion (38mm and smaller) was wished for, IIRC. Didn't Anthony Cesaroni pop in that thread and allude to this possibility?

Anyone want to look up that thread and post a link? I don't remember enough specifics to enter a focused and/or relevant search criteria.

And will someone PLEEZE point me to more information on the "Kryptonite" brand name? :D

By the way - what happened to the "AMW wish list thread?" You know, the LOOOONG thread where people (like me) were posting what we'd like to see from AMW - a whole lot of *downward* expansion (38mm and smaller) was wished for, IIRC. Didn't Anthony Cesaroni pop in that thread and allude to this possibility?

Anyone want to look up that thread and post a link? I don't remember enough specifics to enter a focused and/or relevant search criteria.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=29915

This line excited me the most since I fly mostly 24 & 29 reloads

"Both companies are also planning 24mm and 29mm systems that will include Brand A compatibility as the product line expands. "

I heard rumors of this around the campfire earlier this year. I would love to be able to fly a skidmark and not have to clean the case! :):)

Be prepared for the battle of the propellant mfg'rs I would not be surprised if AT came out fairly soon with reloads for all the ProX series. Wouldn't surprise me if they were cheaper than CTI's reloads either.

Two problems with the above assessment. First, it would violate CTI's patent. Second, CTI has a much higher investment into automation equipment for their non-hobby propellant production.

Two problems with the above assessment. First, it would violate CTI's patent. Second, CTI has a much higher investment into automation equipment for their non-hobby propellant production.

Aerotech owns a patent (and a trademark) on their own RMS casings.

I'm left wondering about AMW. With CTI's manufacturing capability, does it make sense for AMW to build a production facility? I know "production" for HPR is relatively small quantities. So in a way it's like AMW is outsourcing their production. That would leave the AMW folks to doing "R&D" and a sales. Re-Read that last sentence as a positive, not a negative. No, really! It seems like the small motor shops are started by people who like designing motors, and then end up spending all their time producing motors. By outsourcing to CTI they're freed of that.

This might explain AT's rushing reloads for AMW casings to market?

Price wars = good for us :D as long as they are not competing to see who can raise the prices the highest :(

Now where do I buy that sparky motor for my 3 grain Pro38?? :p

Yes, CTI does have a much higher non-hobby production line but does this mean CTI is going to be producing the hobby motors on their non-hobby production lines? (I have no idea if they do this already, so the question may be moot) If AT does come out with reloads for the Pro-X hardware, will CTI lower their prices to compete and thus start a price war?

I was under the impression that AT sued CTI over patents in the past. Does the road go both ways? Will CTI have better luck suing an American company in the American legal system than AT had suing a Canadian company in the Canadian legal system?

I'm not involved in any of the companies other than as a consumer. I think this will either be very good for us in that it'll open up all propellant types to all cases or it will drive one (or many) of the existing companies out of the hobby propellant business which would be bad.

As the old blessing/curse goes: May you live in interesting times.

-Aaron

It finally Happened :). I knew about this for a while (the AMW/CTI merger), which makes me excited because that means a reliable and available source of ferrocene and catocene free Model Rocket motors are sure to come soon :).

Back