'Cats in Space' (TRF logo rocket) Flies at last!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atticus

Old and in the way
Reaction score
This was finished in November of 2012.
In January '13, we took it to Battle Park for its first flight.
The forecast was excellent. Warm for January, calm winds. Early fog lifting for clear skies.
We arrived early, ready for a full day of rocket fun at its best.
Well, the fog did clear, but the ceiling was about 300' at 10 AM.
At 2:30 it was still at about 700 feet. Small rockets could disappear on a B engine.
The waiver was never called in and we left around three.
Here's the finished product as it sat until today.IMG_2550_1_1.JPG

Which brings us to today.
What to do?
Run with the bulls in Dinwiddie?
Motorcycle races at Colonial Downs?
HOVAR launch?
No contest. Weather promised to be nice, although the light wind direction was toward the tree stand.

Originally at Battle Park, I had loaded an AT I285R for the first flight.
On Friday when I was getting ready, I could not find it. I had planned on swapping out the RDK for a fresh one since I've heard of delay anomalies with Redlines after proximate storage.
Looked high and low - no luck.
So I resigned myself to flying a Cesaroni I345. Kevin with Wildman Virginia had one so that was that.

We arrived early and started prepping.
Here are photos of the RSO whispering hints in my ear and Kevin of HOVAR and I making the final setup.
IMG_2526_1.JPGIMG_2529_1.JPG

Here we have the rocket on the pad ready to go.
But first, the RSO has to make a final check for aircraft.
IMG_2531dc_1.jpgIMG_2530_1.JPG

At last, 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....
We have ignition.
And liftoff.
IMG_2532dt_1.jpgIMG_2622t_1.jpg

The flight was beautiful, straight up with no slop.
Since this design didn't lend itself to an accurate simulation, I was unsure of its performance.
I had done a RocSim mock up and it was marginal stability wise, but I just had a feeling it would fly well.

Now that stability concerns were gone, my worries turned to recovery.
Due to HPR setback distance rules, launches must be from the western end of the field nearer to the trees.
This is fine when the wind is from the west away from the trees.
However, today the wind, though fairly light (6 mph), was blowing from the northeast.
Deployment was fine - just after apogee - and the rocket landed well before the tree line.
IMG_2623.jpgIMG_2535_1_1.JPG
I can't figure out why that first one didn't say rotated.
Anyway, that's the good news.
The (kinda) bad news to follow.

I'm working on a build thread for this endeavor.
As to the finish, the paint is automotive acrylic enamel with added gloss hardener.
Think the old no longer made DuPont "Centari" product from years ago.
I get it from a company called "Trinity 1945". They sell it by the gallon and only have a limited selection of colors.
But it's cheap.
There are others out there.

Now that stability concerns were gone, my worries turned to recovery.
Due to HPR setback distance rules, launches must be from the western end of the field nearer to the trees.
This is fine when the wind is from the west away from the trees.
However, today the wind, though fairly light (6 mph), was blowing from the northeast.
The (kinda) bad news to follow.

Cripes! He's keeping us in suspenders! Details, man! We need details! We gots to know! We need more Llamas at launches!

Adrian

That's a beauty Tim. Yeah too bad we didn't see it launch at BP. Great pics! I see you brought your pet Llama... are they useful on the range?
Looking forward to see you launch Cats in Space again! Thanks for the heads-up Jim.

Wish I could have seen it launch in person. I did see the rocket at Battle Park and it is a true work of art!

Thanks for the compliments guys.
It will fly at Culpeper this season.
Tim

FInally, FINALLY!!! Someone brings a llama to a launch.
AFter years of pushing, suggesting and veiled threats someone finally brings their llama to a launch.
My work here is done.

Oh, and nice rocket too.

Now for the bad news.
Originally, I had planned to simply attach the (glassed double thickness of 1/4" foam board) fins through the foam to the inner airframe tube and then glass the fins to the fuselage.
Not too long into the build, I realized that it was going to be quite heavy.
The liftoff weight for this flight was 4.445 kilograms (9.8 pounds).
That's a lot of weight to be absorbed by the fin on touchdown.
So I decided to incorporate a "pocket" of plywood and G-10 for each fin into the airframe.
The fins would slip into this pocket and be retained with styrene "rivets".
I'm glad I went this route.
Sure enough, one fin cracked on landing, even with the tallish grass.
Now all I have to do is slip in another prepared fin.
Here's the damage and a shot of the mounting scheme.
IMG_2628_5_1.jpgIMG_2630_1.jpg

Tim

FInally, FINALLY!!! Someone brings a llama to a launch.
AFter years of pushing, suggesting and veiled threats someone finally brings their llama to a launch.
My work here is done.

There were two of them at the launch. This one (the other was white) was particularly interested in what was going on, browsing among the flyers and checking things out.
After a while, they settled down in the grass watched the show.
Tim

Great flight. The finish and perfection of that thing is amazing. Did you put it on a lathe after fiberglassing?

That llama went straight to the guy with the biggest, nicest rocket. Good taste? or maybe you look like someone that gave her a good scratching once ;)

I had a good day there also, 6 flights (half with easy E9s), nothing lost or majorly broken, despite 2 flights going right over trees and one also going over a second field right to the edge of the woods.

Awesome rocket and flight! You make my rockets look really primitive.

Back