Camera Shrouds for the RunCam2 are now available!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landru

Additive Aerospace
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
RunCam2 Video Camera Shroud

Current production time is about a week until I can build up some stock.

The design is nearly identical to the other Mobius mounts, so these will be very familiar to existing users.

I believe these mounts also work for the 4K version of RunCam2, but do not yet have confirmation. If you are interested in trying your 4K RunCam2 camera, please let me know.

front down.jpg
front down.jpg
ISO View.jpg
Main Image.jpg
RunCam2 Dimensions.JPG
Side View.jpg

Attachments

• Iso 2 View.jpg
    Iso 2 View.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 18
Glad you have these available for the RunCam2 now. I placed my order on Sun.

Landru,
I'll be placing an order for two. I just got a RunCam2 4K, so I can be a Guinea pig... 😉
Adrian

edit. Order placed!

Last edited:
I now have a few of all sizes in stock.

Landru,
I'll be placing an order for two. I just got a RunCam2 4K, so I can be a Guinea pig... 😉
Adrian

edit. Order placed!
Adrian,

Please let me know when that fits.... I'll need to order the camera and shroud as well. Where do I get the camera from? Amazon right along side underoos and socks? :)

Adrian,

Please let me know when that fits.... I'll need to order the camera and shroud as well. Where do I get the camera from? Amazon right along side underoos and socks? :)

Here are the links to amazon. These are affiliate links, so if you buy through here I get a small commission.

Standard Version https://amzn.to/39tGRBw

4K Version https://amzn.to/3eUpYmJ

Order one last week ... have not received any shipping.
Looking forward to trying it out

Additive Aerospace's shrouds are excellent - I have a bunch of them in various diameter sizings. Superb.

The Runcam 2 4k, however... I recommend testing it thoroughly at home before heading to the field. And by testing, I mean taking some video that is a minute or longer to test. I got my camera, bought the exact SD card they recommend, formatted it the way they recommend, etc and tested it at home via the WiFi connection and the button. I took a bunch of videos about 10 seconds long and they all came out fine. I tried them at a launch and launched 4 rockets with the camera. I got home and checked my videos and they all cut out at about 15 seconds. After checking the Amazon comments, I found out this is a known issue and there is a workaround: start recording, stop recording, then immediately start recording again. I found this workaround did "solve" the issue, but I lost a whole day of recordings.

I contacted Runcam customer service and they flatly refused to replace the camera and basically told me this was my problem, not theirs. Since I can get the camera to work, I guess it will be okay, but I don't really "trust" it now. This problem happens regardless of how I start the recording process - button and WiFi and I have tried both the Android and Apple apps. It is repeatable every time. I have also tried 3 different batteries, all fully charged.

The video is good, but I think that when a product basically fails its core function (in this case, recording video does not work by simply hitting the "record" button), there is a serious issue.

Any recent orders for the 4K Runcam, and any feedback? Are the current stock out there "good ones"?

Any recent orders for the 4K Runcam, and any feedback? Are the current stock out there "good ones"?
I just got one about 2-3 weeks ago, seems to work just fine. No complaints. Here is a youtube clip, I think youtube cut the quality a little from the original upload.

I bought a RunCam 2 4K a few weeks ago on Amazon. The firmware is updated but the camera is doing exactly what mtnmanak is describing above. I bought the Runcam because my new Mobius Maxi failed completely on the first two flights. As mtnmanak states, would be nice to have a camera that actually worked most of the time. I had an 808 keychain cam that worked great and the same with an original Mobius. New Mobius Maxi and new RunCam 2 4K both failures. Hope anyone else who’s purchased recently has better luck.

After using many of the workarounds, I generally achieve about a 85-90% success rate with the RunCams now. I flew 14 high power rockets last weekend and, out of those flights, the Runcams shut off on me twice.

It is unfortunate that they can be so finicky because the video quality really is unparalleled vs. other options right now. When they do work, they are really incredible. I am not aware of anything else in such a small, lightweight and conveniently shaped package at that price point that takes flawless 4K video. So, if you an get them working, I do recommend them. If you can't, it is super frustrating.

And, as the OP is about, Additive Aerospace's shroud is excellent.

One thing I do now is make sure the camera is recording properly after I put the rocket on the rail, but before I lift the rail into the vertical position. It is WAY easier to troubleshoot the camera when it is 2 feet off the ground vs. 12+ feet up in the air!

After using many of the workarounds, I generally achieve about a 85-90% success rate with the RunCams

And, as the OP is about, Additive Aerospace's shroud is

Yes first and foremost, the Additive Aerospace shrouds are awesome. Perfect fit, and very reasonably priced.

I’m thinking of starting the camera at my table before I even go to the pad at this point. I have a Runcam replacement coming this week, will see if I can tease it into turning on and staying that way. With both the Mobius Maxi and RunCam 2 4K, that has 100% been the issue, just getting them to turn on and stay recording. Agree with you that footage is beautiful, although elusive.

Yes first and foremost, the Additive Aerospace shrouds are awesome. Perfect fit, and very reasonably priced.

I’m thinking of starting the camera at my table before I even go to the pad at this point. I have a Runcam replacement coming this week, will see if I can tease it into turning on and staying that way. With both the Mobius Maxi and RunCam 2 4K, that has 100% been the issue, just getting them to turn on and stay recording. Agree with you that footage is beautiful, although elusive.

if you haven't tried it yet, start recording, then immediately stop recording, then start recording again. Then wait to make sure it goes past about 20 seconds and you should be good. Pain in the neck, but it usually works.

If you get it working, the video is excellent - recommend on big birds having one point down and one pointing up - gives you great footage to play with:

The shrouds are amazing, and work perfectly.

As for the camera itself, I've never had a failure to record, but the battery run time is a little limited, so be aware of your pad time. I have two 4Ks, one a year old and one about 2 months old, both run just fine.

Here is my latest effort:

Last edited:
I decided to 'pretty up' one of my shrouds. 5 minutes with some 320 grit sandpaper, 5 minutes with some 600 grit, some tape, primer, and two coats of white and it looks like it was injection molded.

I decided to 'pretty up' one of my shrouds. 5 minutes with some 320 grit sandpaper, 5 minutes with some 600 grit, some tape, primer, and two coats of white and it looks like it was injection molded.
Agreed, I've had great success painting mine as well.
Resized_20211001_132327_3284.jpeg

Back