Video Camera Holder Opinions Please

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atestani

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been flying SQ11 video cameras which are about 0.9" cubes that look like this. These are inexpensive and work very well at 1080P and are only 58 grams. I am using 3D printed holders/shrouds.

snap0281.jpg

I have 2 of these mounted on a 3" 5' rocket so I can have one camera facing the ground and the other facing upward. My objective is to I get good views even after parachute deployment My question is what is the best holder/shroud to use.

I have made several flights with this minimalist holder but I question if it is the best way since it is just a cube.
snap0294.jpgsnap0298.jpg
I redesigned (and 3D printed) this version where you can see the previous version "inside" in an attempt at a more aerodynamic version.
snap0299.jpg
which looks like this with the camera installed:
snap0300.jpg

I would appreciate the learned opinion of this group which is better, or even, if there is a better way. I can 3D print anything so if there is a better way please let me know.

Thanks
Al

I think the second version is better, but not because it will much of a difference aerodynamically, but because it looks like it will better protect the camera during recovery and landing.

Tony

Back