Call to Apogee on RockSim

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm not quite sure what the question is here, but I would love to answer it!

@cwbullet I sent you over the article (as of yet unpublished) on how to 3D print fin cans and export out 3D models in .obj format (called.mtl in RockSim, but MTL just refers to the graphics being included in the export).

Unfortunately, there is a bug in RS right now that means when you actually sit down to print it, it fills the body tube with resin, instead of leaving it hollow like it should. This is on the list of fixes coming, but it is a complicated one (at least sounded that way to my infantile understanding of software engineering). That is why the article has not yet been published.

However, for this forum alone, and with the context that it will fill your body tube if you don't manually fix that (a process which I don't understand, and Apogee customer service will not be able to help with) I will attach that article here. You will at least be able to see how that process should work.

Also note, this was a draft that has to date not been published, and I haven't even looked at it months. It may contain errors, as it has not yet gone through proofing.

Anyway, with no further warnings, here is how to 3D print anything from RockSim.

Attachments

• 3D Printing from RockSim.pdf
    423.7 KB · Views: 19
Is there an open thread for Rocksim? Searched for it, but didn't find one. If there isn't, there should be some place we can post requests for updates, additions and corrections.

For example, I would love it if a future feature was to be able to model nosecones with metal tips directly in the "nosecone" object, Right now it is a kludge to assemble a multipart nosecone for an HPR.

Anyway, would be good to have a single thread to do bug reports, feature requests, etc. Much like the Aerotech open thread.

Hey mtnmanak,

My name is Bobby, and I handle a lot of the marketing initiatives and outreach for Apogee. We don't have a particular running thread, and I don't check up on here too often, but that said I try and keep a pulse on everything going on here. If you start any thread, or even reply to one mentioning RockSim or Apogee, chances are I will see it and pass any valuable information on to the appropriate teams.

For suggestions like this, you are also welcome to PM me. Just know that I don't handle our customer service, and any issues with orders or questions about an order you are going to place should still be handled through our regular channels.

In regards to RockSim, we'll be announcing some stuff this Friday at vNARCON (and perhaps earlier that day on our Live RockSim training on Facebook).

To that particular suggestion, I've passed it on to our dev. His list is getting quite long, but that is a fairly valuable idea, and so it might make its way into RockSim sooner rather than later.

Back