BYU student making homemade rocket fuel starts dorm fire

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds me of the University of Idaho a couple years back. Just a complete underestimate of safety precautions.

I saw this thread about a BYU student having an accident while making propellant in the dorm kitchen. And then the same day saw a Facebook post about a BYU rocket team flying at the FAR site in CA recently. It’s one of the few places in CA where you can legally make propellant. Coincidence? Perhaps…

I saw this thread about a BYU student having an accident while making propellant in the dorm kitchen. And then the same day saw a Facebook post about a BYU rocket team flying at the FAR site in CA recently. It’s one of the few places in CA where you can legally make propellant. Coincidence? Perhaps…
I doubt that student was associated with the rocket team. I was at FAR on Saturday and they had two picture perfect flights on commercial motors. The reason for FAR was because it was using actively controlled canards to maintain orientation during boost.

I hang out in some internet circles that tend to attract people that are new to the hobby and many of them want to start by making motors, since their introduction to the hobby is often a Youtube video that says that making motors is simple and easy.

This is why people need access to reliable information about making motors, rather than Youtube.

I may have come off as preachy. In my 10 years of being Prefect, I am utterly amazed at how many parents allow their kids to make motors at home with little to no supervision. Atleast once a year, a kid shows up with his parents in tow and ask how to make their own motors at home. I strongly suggest they find a mentor. Some even scoff that they don‘t need a mentor because they learn everything they need on YouTube.

I'm still waiting for details as to what chemicals were involved. Many years ago there was a dentist in the Seattle area who was making flash powder and when there was an incident, then suddenly it became model rocket fuel in a veiled attempt at CYA.

I'm still waiting for details as to what chemicals were involved. Many years ago there was a dentist in the Seattle area who was making flash powder and when there was an incident, then suddenly it became model rocket fuel in a veiled attempt at CYA.
Given the mix caught fire while cooking, I'd give 10:1 odds the recipe consisted of table sugar and something commonly used to fortify soil.

The BYU Rocketry Club is very involved in the Utah Rocket Club launches. It’s not unusual to have 50 or more of them show up for a launch. I was pretty sure their club was not involved In this incident. They posted this on Facebook today.

”BYU Rocketry is dedicated to the safety of our students. For that reason we highly discourage the creation of experimental motors and fuel in our club. Without the proper safety protocols and equipment it can prove disastrous to both people and property.

The recent incident involving the explosion of rocket fuel in a BYU residence was not related to our organization, and we are taking additional measures to ensure our members understand the dangers imposed by improper motor experimentation.”

The BYU Rocketry Club is very involved in the Utah Rocket Club launches. It’s not unusual to have 50 or more of them show up for a launch. I was pretty sure their club was not involved In this incident. They posted this on Facebook today.

”BYU Rocketry is dedicated to the safety of our students. For that reason we highly discourage the creation of experimental motors and fuel in our club. Without the proper safety protocols and equipment it can prove disastrous to both people and property.

The recent incident involving the explosion of rocket fuel in a BYU residence was not related to our organization, and we are taking additional measures to ensure our members understand the dangers imposed by improper motor experimentation.”

That is good news.

I may have come off as preachy. In my 10 years of being Prefect, I am utterly amazed at how many parents allow their kids to make motors at home with little to no supervision. Atleast once a year, a kid shows up with his parents in tow and ask how to make their own motors at home. I strongly suggest they find a mentor. Some even scoff that they don‘t need a mentor because they learn everything they need on YouTube.

I feel your frustration. In some other rocketry groups, it feels like we get a newcomer every week making sugar motors in their backyard. A few of them have stayed and learned and have earned Jr. L1 certs, but most just disappear after being told that they're doing something unsafe and don't have the knowledge to do it safely.

I feel your frustration. In some other rocketry groups, it feels like we get a newcomer every week making sugar motors in their backyard. A few of them have stayed and learned and have earned Jr. L1 certs, but most just disappear after being told that they're doing something unsafe and don't have the knowledge to do it safely.

I do try not to tell them or assume they are doing it unsafe, but most do not like being told they cannot fly them with us until they are a level 2. A few of the website and YouTube videos do explain how to do it safely. I still prefer the mentor approach. Learning how not to do it (verbally) prior to making them is an excellent approach.

Back