Rocket Narrowly Misses Plane

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Rocket narrowly misses plane” wow that is amazing

Well, at least "narrowly" is several miles. It's more harrowing when you are personally up there in a glider, and a F-16 that ignored the NOTAM passes by at ear-splitting distance.

The original article is about a rocket made of “pvc and TNT” for a festival in Thailand. It included a video shot by a passenger on the plane.
It’s available on various news services.

In today's world, Photoshop eliminated visual proof that something happened, now they're doing the same thing with videos, and gossip takes care of the rest. ;)
Couple that with AI, and it's getting almost, if not totally, impossible to spot a deep fake with any reliability.

The recent photo about the explosion at the pentagon is a case in point.

Even though the photo was debunked almost immediately, there are reports that it affected the markets. Not good.

Last edited:
That’s some slow burning TNT. And in PVC? Maybe something’s lost in translation.
The headline mentioned TNT; the story was very short and never mentioned TNT.
I have no idea how well researched the article was. Most of the festivals there use BP, so maybe you’re right and it was incorrectly translated.

IT would make more sense if it were Ammonium Nitrate in a PVC rocket. I remember years ago there were some people doing AN-based propellants in PVC rockets.

The Thai rockets and tourbillons generally use a very slow burning BP type mixture loaded damp. There have been a few write ups about them in the pyro community and they are facinating devices. Some of them are huge and fly quite high.

Both vehicles were operating in their approved airspace :) . It wasn't close by anyone's standards, hence the sarcasm emoji.
Reminds me of my google feed last year where I was bombarded by weekly attention grabbing hysterical headlines about asteroids headed for a "close" flyby Earth. I'd take the bait, follow the link and read the asteroid would be passing within, like, 25 million km of Earth. That's before I discovered the ignore option.

TP

Please don't bring Tripoli North Texas into this. 🤣
The headline mentioned TNT; the story was very short and never mentioned TNT.
I have no idea how well researched the article was. Most of the festivals there use BP, so maybe you’re right and it was incorrectly translated.
AC/DC have a song (to which @Newguy introduced me quite recently) that equates TNT to dynamite. 😂 I think TNT has been standardized as the uninformed-yet-overconfident person's shorthand for anything that might be explosive.

As an aside, the Lao rocket festivals generally use black powder mixes with no sulfur - so as to suppress the burn rate of the propellant - with the resultant amazing burn times of both their single-motor rockets and their girandolas.

There's a video of a municipality getting rid of a whale carcass with explosives; all thru the setup, they are saying 'dynamite' while putting caps in 4" Marked blocks of TNT. It did not end well for anyone. I can't imagine being covered in vaporized rotting whale puree.

Back