Bumper WAC model complete...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jduffy

Reaction score
I have started my own Bumper Build..I am doing Bumper-8, which was the first rocket launch here at Cape Canaveral. I am using Estes Canadain Arrow as my baseline with modifications including ply centering rings on the motor mount, nylon chute, kevlar to elastic shock cord, etc...

The beginning........

James:
can you give us a brief rundown on Why so many internats flys choose the BumperWac for Scale Altitude? Do the rules dictate the model must be a certain size or something? I also assume staging is permitted. and no "Motor class" is dictated as in NAR Scale altitude events?
Love the Bumper-Wac I've been toying with the micro max Wac stage for some time;)

Very cool. You have given me inspiration with what to do with those unbuilt Estes V-2's I have in those boxes in the basement! :rolleyes:

Bumper-8 Update:

Motor Mount, threw away those Estes paper centering rings, glued in 1/8 ply ones, added about 3 inches of stuffer tube. Kevlar cord added to upper ply CR with screw eye epoxied and elastic shock cord attached.

Body Tube, covered with "sticker" paper to cover up those spiral indentations on the rolled tube.

Nose, glued the WAC Corporal into the nose. The WAC Nose is still able to be removed to add ballast if necessary.

Tail Cone, epoxied in the Fins after they were covered with the same "sticker" paper so that the balsa grain would not show thru.

Next is to paint primer, finish coat then stripe per Bumper-8 photos.

Bumper-8 all most complete...some minor paint touchups, add decals, add parachute, run Rocksim, for motor selection and balance.

Hope to launch it this Saturday at the Orlando R.O.C.K launch.

Launched today in Palm Bay....great weather, perfect flight. Used a D12-3, estimated altitude of 600 feet.

Photo was just as the motor ignited.....

nice job !

I couldn't help post this pic I found a while back.

it's from the 50th anniversary gathering of the remaining bumper 8 team... And yes that is a flying model !

( I apologise for not giving credit to whoever took this photo, perhaps someone here can shed more light)

Back