Bumblebee XL - A Two-Stage F Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAHagen

Reaction score
So as i'm finishing up my Torrent for my Jr. lv. cert, I'm starting to think about what my next project should be, and my mind came back to a two stage rocket I made about a year ago. *...cue flashback...* It was just a rocket I designed and built with spare parts around the house in a couple days because I had parts to use up. It ended up being a minimum diameter, two stage rocket that was around 15 inches tall and ran on two E motors.

Roberts_2_Stage_E.jpg

With those motors, the rocket was simulated to go upwards of 4400 ft, so I was pretty sure it was gonna disappear the first time I launched it. When the day finally came, It flew into the glare of the sun and was never seen again. We did, however, find the booster stage impaled in the ground with nice core sample of the Oklahoma soil. The booster now has a permanent spot on a shelf in my room. :)

[video=youtube_share;2ACdcMHZ0Kw]https://youtu.be/2ACdcMHZ0Kw[/video]

Back story aside, I was thinking that a good next project would be up-scaling this rocket to 29mm and increasing the motor size to one of the Estes 29mm black powder motors like the F15. I could also, sometime later, build a second, slightly longer, booster stage with room for staging electronics for composite motors and be able to use black powder and composite motors interchangeably in the rocket. With the body being 29mm It has enough room to fit my Telemetrum GPS telemetry system inside it so the chance of losing the rocket would be greatly reduced.
What do you guys think? A worthy design?

Rocksim file:
View attachment 181264

Last edited:
Those F15's are really cool. I saw a two stage of those and it was one of the coolest flights ever! Slow Liftoff!

I'm moving the thread over to the mid-power thread section so if you see this, the thread will continue in the mid-power section.

Back