Blast from the Past - Electronics World August 1968 - 60cents

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I looked for mentions of battery powered cars in there and found the following 2 as reader replies to previous articles. Oddly enough, my reaction is the same for both:

1. "Table 2 gives 15Wh/lb as the energy density for the lithium battery. The correct value is 150 Wh/lb expected from the system" -- Lithium battery? In 1968? 😲

2. "The modern steam car is, to say the least, competitive with present-day gas cars in range and performance." -- Modern steam car? In 1968? 😲

Last edited:
2. "The modern steam car is, to say the least, competitive with present-day gas cars in range and performance." -- Modern steam car? In 1968? 😲

I photographed Ted Pritchard and the steam car he was developing in the late 1970s.

1. "Table 2 gives 15Wh/lb as the energy density for the lithium battery. The correct value is 150 Wh/lb expected from the system" -- Lithium battery? In 1968? 😲

Stanley Whittingham used lithium and titanium in experimental batteries prior to 1970.

From now on, I will remember 1968 as a year when steam powered cars and lithium batteries co-existed. "Hey Jude" can move over (sorry Paul).

I suppose one could run a steam engine by heating a coil with a lithium battery. Not sure why but it might be good for something.

Back