Upscale Mars Lander - 3D printed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Upton

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I wonder if anyone knows anything about this. I had bought several tickets at the raffle drawing at our club before Covid. This is done where if you get a ticket pulled you go to the tables with stuff on it left, and pick out what you want. So I picked this.

It seems to be a 3D printed Mars Lander. I found it again last weekend and remembered where it came from. It can be taken apart and put back together. It seems the plastic motor tube is 40mm but has a Nozzle that restricts about 36-37mm. So would use 40mm to 29/24mm centering rings to paper motor tube for power.

I put it together but had only one dental rubber band, so in the picture it is sorta tilting as only one leg is being supported by the "Suspension". This way its made the bands can be replaced. Anyone know more about this or have seen this before?
Three pictures here showing it put together, the "Suspension" area, and all the parts out on the table:

1714752062074.png

1714752176716.png

1714752232608.png

Yeah - it's probably this one:

Vintage Mars Lander Model Rocket Reproduction by mech-G on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2670642

I printed one in PETG - it turned out pretty nice. I was surprised how light it was for an all 3d printed model.

MarsLander.jpg

I have notes on how I "dialed it in" on my Prusa MK4 printer if you want them? Used epoxy for all bonding. What else do you want to know?

Vintage Mars Lander Model Rocket Reproduction by mech-G on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2670642

I printed one in PETG - it turned out pretty nice. I was surprised how light it was for an all 3d printed model.

View attachment 643599

I have notes on how I "dialed it in" on my Prusa MK4 printer if you want them? Used epoxy for all bonding. What else do you want to know?
I would appreciate seeing your printer settings, and I’m sure others would as well. That looks great!

Tony

View attachment 643599

Thanks, yes that must be it. I don't have a 3D printer so don't need to know about the files.

Why did you use Epoxy other then for the Feet? It seems designed to fly without it and be taken apart to fix things like the Suspension bands to replace.

Art, you are correct - now that I think about it, only the feet where epoxied on - everything else was twist to lock on from the 3d print. The mount that the rubber bands connect is too thin tho - this is the weak point in the 3d print IMHO.

The model does incorporate a built-in baffle.

For Geeks only - my notes on dialing in the Prusa MK4: YMMV, FWIW... :)

Prusa MK4 w input shaper
White PETG
.2mm layers
10% infill grid

Ejection Baffle:
Sliced: 26m, 3.79 g - Printed: 3.6 g

Lower Core 3/16 lug (bigger)
Sliced: 1h 22m, 18.84 g

Nose Base for Quarters
Sliced: 27m, 7.4 g - Printed: 6.9 g

Nose Cone
Sliced: 24m, 4.6 g - Printed: 4.3 g

Ascent Stage 3/16 lug
Sliced: 2h 34m, 72.34 g - Printed: 68.9 g

Descent Stage
Sliced: 3h 17m, 63.18 g

Landing Legs
Sliced: (2) 38m, 16.19 g
Sliced: (2) 38m, 16.19 g

Landing Pads - 3 color print: Red, Silver (transparent - all I had!), Red
Sliced: (4) 20m, 5.28 g

Actual times have been in the ballpark - didn't really keep track too much

TOTAL SLICED: 202.53 g

TOTAL PRINTED: 83.7 (still need lower core weight, descent stage, 4 Legs)

Back