Big Daddy Lawn Darts... Show of Hands Please.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to necropost. For those who have put in a bulkhead inside the nosecone at the top of the shoulder... does someone commercially sell a proper sized bulkhead, or am I going to have to cut one out and sand+fit it?
A thread that is inactive for less than a month is hardly necro... A thread of mine that was idle since September 2015 recently shook off its cobwebs and is active again... And it's by far nowhere near the longest time that a zombie thread has been revived.

Last edited:
A thread that is inactive for less than a month is hardly necro... A thread of mine that was idle since September 2015 recently shook off its cobwebs and is active again... And it's by far nowhere near the longest time that a zombie thread has been revived.
Yeah that's my fault, i looked on google search and It came up. I'm a member so I asked. I have no clue what the rules are now or about it at all. I read them years ago but did have questions to ask. So if I find another old thread, what's the best thing to do. I got all this back in 2012/13, and had to take a break after I almost died. So getting back to this in may of this year, I recently moved back home, but not to the place I was in right now. I'm in a place temporarily in an that new place and went after months of trying to get that collection back in 2013. I'm sorry, its kind of like someone just hit a pause button with these for me, now its 10 years later and I'm loving it again I'm continuing where I left off back then, if you look at my thread post history, you'll see the gap from when i signed up to I think it was one in 2014 about my Big Daddy and an Aerotech launch controller issues. So I'm not doing this to cause problems, im just happy for the first time since my work injury in 2012, plus all that following until now. Thats it. I wont bring back any more old threads. And its kind of upsetting when I really didn't know and I needed an answer, not for you but other guys to get rude about it. It wont happen again, you can tell them that.

Yeah that's my fault, i looked on google search and It came up. I'm a member so I asked. I have no clue what the rules are now or about it at all. I read them years ago but did have questions to ask. So if I find another old thread, what's the best thing to do. I got all this back in 2012/13, and had to take a break after I almost died. So getting back to this in may of this year, I recently moved back home, but not to the place I was in right now. I'm in a place temporarily in an that new place and went after months of trying to get that collection back in 2013. I'm sorry, its kind of like someone just hit a pause button with these for me, now its 10 years later and I'm loving it again I'm continuing where I left off back then, if you look at my thread post history, you'll see the gap from when i signed up to I think it was one in 2014 about my Big Daddy and an Aerotech launch controller issues. So I'm not doing this to cause problems, im just happy for the first time since my work injury in 2012, plus all that following until now. Thats it. I wont bring back any more old threads. And its kind of upsetting when I really didn't know and I needed an answer, not for you but other guys to get rude about it. It wont happen again, you can tell them that.
If you have a question, please feel free to ask... However, for older threads, you *MIGHT* want to check to see if the member is still active. Hover your cursor over, or click on, their Avatar, and see when was their last post. It'll say "Last seen:". If it's been a while, you might want to send them a PM message (that sends them an email alerting them of your question). Otherwise, ask away. Sure you may get some teasing if it's really been a long time, but don't let that interfere in your pursuit of knowledge.

If you have a question, please feel free to ask... However, for older threads, you *MIGHT* want to check to see if the member is still active. Hover your cursor over, or click on, their Avatar, and see when was their last post. It'll say "Last seen:". If it's been a while, you might want to send them a PM message (that sends them an email alerting them of your question). Otherwise, ask away. Sure you may get some teasing if it's really been a long time, but don't let that interfere in your pursuit of knowledge.
Ok, yeah sorry. I just did a search, and Google popped up. I was frantically trying to find a OpenRocket file for my Partizon to test out motor simulations. And you came up right at the top and I was so excited you were a current member, but ill be more mindful about what threads I open up. I do apologize for that and in no way did it intentionally. Thank you for getting back to me. Its been a very hard 10 years, and you throw in the deaths of certain family members in days apart, I can't right now.. So my excitement for something positive has me like a kid in a candy store. I really love(its my lesson for waking up right now), these and have since I took a model rocketry course in 1990 at age 7. But thank you, I appreciate the kindness. Sometimes I take things little too personally. Thats from a bad childhood, but I dont need to get into all of that on here. I just used OpenRocket for the first time ever about a month ago. But I've been working 12 to 16 hours a day then trying to get these old ones back into shape and got 3 up that I've been thinking about going back to 2013 when I built these..Ok, ill take your advice, and its comprehend too. Thank you.

Thats another issue, all my stuff is at another house. And I seldom have access to a laptop. And my notifications don't show up well with this Samsung S9+, I'm using for all of this. It takes me about 5 mins to type this out. Mostly bc of autocoresct(see....)..So its extremely hard to do this, lol. All I have is my phone rn....

The best forums are ones where technical threads live "forever."

I know of a forum where there is an official policy that if a thread is older than xx, you must start a new one. So you end up with dozens or hundreds of threads all hashing the same intro information over and over again, instead of one awesomely informative mega-thread that develops the knowledge over years.

The best forums are ones where technical threads live "forever."

I know of a forum where there is an official policy that if a thread is older than xx, you must start a new one. So you end up with dozens or hundreds of threads all hashing the same intro information over and over again, instead of one awesomely informative mega-thread that develops the knowledge over years.
Ok, thank you for the information. I have a few threads that like you said, a would rather just add to them that I started back in May of this year over making 10 different threads about the same rocket. They will probably go on for some time. It's almost hard after searching Google for a while, and not to open up an old thread(that shows up under a Google Search) when it has some information but I needed just a little more, lol. I'm def. aware now of "Necro" threads, Thank you guys for understanding my predicament a little bit. I was just so excited finally to have life going OK, and just didn't think before I posted. So thanks again guys/girls, I appreciate all the help too.

As another data point, yesterday I lost a Big Daddy after it failed to eject the nosecone and came in ballistic. However, this rocket did have the nosecone "ramp-delete" modification, with a thin plywood bulkhead glued into the nosecone shoulder with a small eyebolt. I thought the nosecone fit was fine, but apparently not. Unfortunately, this was only this particular rocket's second flight, so not much flying experience with it (flight 1 successfully deployed the parachute). Maybe sitting out on the pad in the sun waiting for launch expanded the nosecone just enough to make the difference?
(Motor was a D12-3)

PS: All things considered, not as much damage as I would have thought. The nosecone is intact other than the tip. The body tube has two wrinkles, and two fins survived completely unscathed, while the other two got completely destroyed. Still, it's enough I won't bother rebuilding or anything.

1692016686626.jpeg

1692016695419.jpeg

Last edited:
Back