Another Estes Big Daddy (2162) Lawndart Questions Thread...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you had an Estes Big Daddy (2162) lawndart, did you apply tape to the shoulder of the nosecone?

• Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
Compare the date codes on your Estes motors with the ones in the MESS reports. You'll find that certain batches (date codes) account for most of the problems, and other batches are totally missing from those reports. My wife just bought two 3-packs of D12-5's and, unfortunately, their date code appears prominently in the MESS reports. I'm thinking of building a quick, simple rocket to test one of them and see what happens.

Compare the date codes on your Estes motors with the ones in the MESS reports. You'll find that certain batches (date codes) account for most of the problems, and other batches are totally missing from those reports. My wife just bought two 3-packs of D12-5's and, unfortunately, their date code appears prominently in the MESS reports. I'm thinking of building a quick, simple rocket to test one of them and see what happens.
3 words: Rocketarium Mega Vortico.

Put anything in it, you can't destroy it.

Hans.

2-pack of D12's or 3-pack of E12's? There's a difference because I don't recall having a Cato in a D12 but several with E12.

The Hex-3 also works well with 18mm motors.

2-pack of D12's or 3-pack of E12's? There's a difference because I don't recall having a Cato in a D12 but several with E12.

The Hex-3 also works well with 18mm motors.

D12's in this case. A couple of years ago I had a D12-5 ejection charge only open a tiny hole in the clay cap so the nose cone came out but not the parachute. Last summer, my wife's Big Daddy experienced a cato from an E12-5 motor. That's the only actual cato we've experienced with Estes motors between the two of us. Note that Estes isn't the only company that occasionally has bad motors. I've had very good luck with Estes for the most part. What I'm wondering now is: What percentage of those D12-5's are actually bad??? And how much am I willing to risk with a rocket that I like?

D12's in this case. A couple of years ago I had a D12-5 ejection charge only open a tiny hole in the clay cap so the nose cone came out but not the parachute. Last summer, my wife's Big Daddy experienced a cato from an E12-5 motor. That's the only actual cato we've experienced with Estes motors between the two of us. Note that Estes isn't the only company that occasionally has bad motors. I've had very good luck with Estes for the most part. What I'm wondering now is: What percentage of those D12-5's are actually bad??? And how much am I willing to risk with a rocket that I like?
I had a D12 cato years ago back when they were in a 3 pack. Was terrified to use the other 2. Fast forward... Stuck one in a Vortico. All was good. Used the other one (successfully) in another rocket.

Hans.

If the D12 are in a three pack, I wonder how old they are?

If the D12 are in a three pack, I wonder how old they are?
I don't know when they quit selling them that way. But mine were about 30 years old, so likely 1990-ish. My son was about 12 at the time. The 3rd one I didn't use until last fall. It worked fine.

Hans.

Edit: Just did a quick spot check of catalogs.... Looks like they were still a 3 pack as late as 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I don't know when they quit selling them that way. But mine were about 30 years old, so likely 1990-ish. My son was about 12 at the time. The 3rd one I didn't use until last fall. It worked fine.

Hans.

Edit: Just did a quick spot check of catalogs.... Looks like they were still a 3 pack as late as 10 years ago.
Mega Vortico for sure.

Back