Balsa Wood Source Question ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkt2k1

Reaction score
I finally got my lathe setup in my shop! :) I'm looking to get some balsa stock to try my hand at turning some custom cones. I've searched the forum and found some great recommendations for balsa wood sources. I found the following items on Ebay. Can anyone tell me if this is a good price for this type and quantity of balsa?

Ebay Balsa Wood #1

Ebay Balsa Wood #2

Thanks!

... Bill

You just missed a half-price sale a couple weeks ago at HobLob.
They had lots of 1x1 and 2x2 balsa, and the sale included basswood.
They will probably repeat this sometime in the future so don't stock up too much yet on materials.

All the balsa I buy to turn I get from Balsa USA. If you don’t need the long lengths they have 3” x 3”x 6” blocks for $ .75, cheaper then the bids on Ebay for the same amount of “board feet”. I have also glued blocks together to get lengths longer than 6”. For example I needed a 3”x 3” x 12” block so I glued a 1” x 3” x 12” and a 2” x 3” x 12” block together. However if you need 36” blocks the prices on Ebay look a little more appealing. Good luck with your lathe, I find it good theropy.

-steve

Back