Back into the hobby

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astrobuf

Reaction score
My name is Pat McGuire. I am now a retired Mechanical Engineer. My career started in 1977 when I joined NASA as a Shuttle Flight Control Engineer while an Engineering Student @ University of MN. I worked at JSC for 2 years supporting ALT flights, leaving to return to school just prior to OFT-1.

I had a passion for Rocketry & Space Exploration as an Apollo child. Was an active NAR member of the Outa Sight section in Minneapolis, MN. I built competitive scale models, rocket gliders, altitude competitors and egg lofters....

After graduating from the UofMN, I joined 3M as a Computational Design Engineer, using experience gained from my extensive NASA Coop assignment. At 3M, I worked on everything from sandpaper makers to prosthetic joints, arterial perfusion systems to environmental control systems. I even led 3M's Design teams on a series of microgravity materials processing experiments that flew on a series of Shuttle flights.

Career wise, I became head of Engineering Design, then a Product Development Lab Head, a Global Lab Head with teams around the world and finally a Global Lab Director.

My career flourished in great part from my experiences as a young teenager building Rockets in my bedroom shop.

50 years after building my last rocket, I built an Estes Bull Pup and reintroduced the hobby to my Cub Scout Pack. I'm looking forward to building a vintage Saturn V now that I have the time and patience to do so!

Welcome! My sister cooped with NASA as a Purdue aeronautical eng and then had a wonderful career there! She (Booster) and her husband (FDO) were in Mission Control working on the shuttle launches. In fact, my brother-in-law worked 75 shuttle missions. Both now retired are still involved with hobby rocketry as I am. There are so many options to get involved with in model rockets! I've been getting my grandkids interested. Welcome back!

WOW :welcome: to the forum. what an impressive history you have.
Thx. I was fortunate when young to be in a NAR Section that included Ed Lacroix. He remains a good freind of mine and you may be aware, a good freind to the hobby.

I spend most of my time these days teaching young men and women how to succeed in STEM Careers and Skilled Trades

Welcome! My sister cooped with NASA as a Purdue aeronautical eng and then had a wonderful career there! She (Booster) and her husband (FDO) were in Mission Control working on the shuttle launches. In fact, my brother-in-law worked 75 shuttle missions. Both now retired are still involved with hobby rocketry as I am. There are so many options to get involved with in model rockets! I've been getting my grandkids interested. Welcome back!
There were quite a few of us Coop's there. I was there '77-79. I worked in the Mechanical Systems section, CF7 (she would know what that means. My boss was Quarance Patin, my branch manager, Rod Lowe. My group was responsible for APU Hydraulics, Arm, Shuttle-ET interfaces , ET-SRB Interfaces, Landing Gear...

In addition to QP, she likely knew Ann Austin, Jack Knight. Conely Perry and Al Ong to name a few work buddies. Ann was one of the first women flight controllers iirc.

If your sisters time matched mine, we likely knew each other. All Flight Control Div staff were in the same bldg (bldg 4) as were the Astronauts

I was wondering if there still was a NAR Section in the cities. The Outta Sight section in the 60's met at the St Louis Park JCC. We held our launches out in Eden Prarie iirc and did demo launches once a year at a large Radio Control competition near Flying Cloud airport.

Last edited:
Welcome to forum and back into model rockets.

Here is a few links for local clubs and motors.

https://www.tripolimn.org/
https://masa-rocketry.org/
https://offwegorocketry.com/
Hub Hobby still has some rocket stuff, not as much from 7-8yrs ago.

We are out in Plymouth, hope to see you up at the launches.
Been going to Hub Hobby for decades. Way back we bought our rocketry stuff at Jollys, a toy and hobby store at Southtown. I live in St Paul these days and shop mostly at Scale Model Supply (Lexington & University) as I am also a vintage (American Flyer) train buff.

There were quite a few of us Coop's there. I was there '77-79. I worked in the Mechanical Systems section, CF7 (she would know what that means. My boss was Quarance Patin, my branch manager, Rod Lowe. My group was responsible for APU Hydraulics, Arm, Shuttle-ET interfaces , ET-SRB Interfaces, Landing Gear...

In addition to QP, she likely knew Ann Austin, Jack Knight. Conely Perry and Al Ong to name a few work buddies. Ann was one of the first women flight controllers iirc.

If your sisters time matched mine, we likely knew each other. All Flight Control Div staff were in the same bldg (bldg 4) as were the Astronauts
Hi.
I contacted my brother-in-law and this is his reply...
"Interesting! He was there before our time. ALT was the approach and landing test program. That predated STS1 by quite a bit."

Latest posts

Back