Attempted House Break In!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear you're ok - many times things don't. I would like to second 2 of the suggestions here. First is a firearm. Second is a dog. Having been a police dispatcher for 12 years, nothing is more intimidating to a burglar than the risk of being shot by their victims or attacked or held by the homeowners dog. On several occasions I have handled incidents involving suspects being killed by the homeowner, or a suspect being injured by a dog. If they have several prior convictions, they usually don't pursue any more. Proper training with both a firearm and or a dog can save your life ! Most times, once they know the owner is armed - they won't stick around. And if they are stupid enough (some are) it's good to have every available resource there to defend yourself and you family.

Nothing I own is worth killing anybody over.

They can take my stuff, but lay a hand on my kids or my wife and I'm not so sure of my reaction. On the other hand, maybe I do know how I'd react, and why I choose not to have a firearm in the house.

Just dogs with "big, sharp, pointy teeth.":rolleyes:

They can take my stuff, but lay a hand on my kids or my wife and I'm not so sure of my reaction. On the other hand, maybe I do know how I'd react, and why I choose not to have a firearm in the house.

Just dogs with "big, sharp, pointy teeth.":rolleyes:

I think John the least of their worries would be the dog as I am sure of your reaction.To tell the truth I am not real crazy about folks taking my stuff but I can live with it. I guess it may be a case of where you live. If your area has a lot of violent crime then maybe you need a firearm to literally protect your families life. Personally if I point a weapon at someone I will not be holding them at bay. The decision to engage with a firearm is a final one in my mind which is why it requires so much thought. I have a burglar alarm system and I own firearms but they are locked in a gun safe and trigger locked with the ammo stored is a separate and locked container. On the other hand I have things in my room that give me a great sence of personal security and are not illegal. I just hope I have the presence of mind of the fella who started this thread :)
Cheers
Fred
fred

I agree with the sentiment that, to me, nothing I own is worth killing over.

Unfortunately, the home invader does not always share that same sentiment. :(

Not too long ago we had 3 staff members of an all night restaurant murdered execution style over the cash register containing $120. They were murdered likely because they were all former co-workers of the murderers who performed the robbery and would recognize them. The murderers quit the restaurant less than a month prior to the incident. :(

We don't live in a perfect world.

I am so glad that you had such a good outcome.

I will agree with a lot of the sentiment that our "stuff" is not worth killing anyone over. It is not always that simple though. The bad guys don't always "play by the rules".

I have a couple of dogs. They and I make a lot of noise (especially if I am loading my gun). If someone were to break in to my house after all that noise, I can only assume they mean my family harm and God help them. The army trained me well and if forced to I will not hesitate to shoot. I know this from experience.

That said, the key to avoiding accidents and tragedy is gun safety. And that takes training and self-discipline. You must always put on the trigger locks and store the ammunition away from the guns. I do have a gun readily accessible, but the trigger lock is installed and the ammunition is across the room from it's storage location.

I have taught my kids gun safety and proper gun handling since they were old enough to hold and fire a BB gun. They have been allowed to shoot each of my firearms when they were ready. I do not allow them to use them if they are not supervised by an adult that I approve of. I have taught my wife how to handle and fire each of my firearms. This process is on going. We try and get out once or twice a month to shoot, review safety and enjoy the outdoors.

I know that guns are not for everyone. I fully respect that.

There are alternatives to guns, such as pepper spray, guard dogs, etc.

What ever you choose, make sure that you learn all about it and train properly in it's handling, use and storage. Because handled incorrectly, even a baseball bat can be dangerous.

I agree with the sentiment that, to me, nothing I own is worth killing over.

Unfortunately, the home invader does not always share that same sentiment. :(

Not too long ago we had 3 staff members of an all night restaurant murdered execution style over the cash register containing $120. They were murdered likely because they were all former co-workers of the murderers who performed the robbery and would recognize them. The murderers quit the restaurant less than a month prior to the incident. :(

We don't live in a perfect world.

My God thats terrible.

Sorry to hear about what happened. I seen several instances of that on Rescue 911 (search for it on you-tube). I can understand how that is not a fun thing to go through.

For personal defense I have a loaded .45 1911. eight in the mag, one in the pipe. Also have a spare mag nearby. God forbid if I ever need to fire a round in my house, and God help me if I need the extra mag. Whole time I lived at my current resident, I had to get the gun out twice for unusual banging outside the house. Rule number 1, verify the target. One incident was the landlord trying to hang a sign on my door. no harm there. Second incident was a little more serious but the stranger left my porch after talking to him through the door. Both cases they did not know I was armed.

I live three blocks from a police station. One time that I had to call the cops took them half an hour to get to me.

My brother lived in a place about the same distance from the police. He called them to report kids shooting stuff in his back yard. Took them an hour to finally show up.

1911, I agree on this up to a point. I keep one by my bedsde myself. I have never bought into the whole "scarry shotgun" theory. After being a police officer and serving in both the Marine Corps, and the Army I have a sound beliefe that a shotgun is for bird hunting. A good carbine and good training along with a flashlight is, in my opinion, the best home defense weapon.

Another great point is a dog. Most criminals will avoid houses they know have dogs. Those that will chance it, a dog is a great layer of security. Either way, I am glad it all worked out for you safely in the end.

Next to the bed there is a small safe that has a quick entry.

Glock 19 with 3 full mags of hollow-points, .380 with 3 full mags of HP, 2-30 round magazines for the AK-47 and a handful of slugs for the 12 guage. My girlfriend and I are pretty good shots too. God help anybody breakin into my place.

The castle law is pretty clear here. If you come in the house your fair game. I consider anybody low enough to break into your home not worth keeping in the gene pool.

Glock 19 with 3 full mags of hollow-points, .380 with 3 full mags of HP, 2-30 round magazines for the AK-47 and a handful of slugs for the 12 guage. My girlfriend and I are pretty good shots too. God help anybody breakin into my place.

The castle law is pretty clear here. If you come in the house your fair game. I consider anybody low enough to break into your home not worth keeping in the gene pool.

SOunds like we would get along well... ;)

I say shoot to stop rather that kill. The shoulders, hips, knees. Besides, if you kill all your enemies, who will you rule over?

-Ghengis Shrox

I say shoot to stop rather that kill. The shoulders, hips, knees. Besides, if you kill all your enemies, who will you rule over?

-Ghengis Shrox

All hail Ghengis :)
Centre of visible mass is most folks point of referance:)
Cheers
fred

Where do you live you feel it necessary to keep that much firepower?:) No insult intended of course.
Cheers
Fred

jderimig said:
Often the sound of the round loading into the chamber when you pump it is often enough to send any intruders scattering.

You've been in that situation often enough to make that statement?

Yep. Sends me running every time.

Last edited:

-Ghengis Shrox

Shooting to wound/stop is a good way to get yourself killed. Center mas is the only way. Adreneline, excitement, movement, poor light, bad guy shooting back, etc...you are very likely to miss completely going for a limb. Police and military who train all the time still miss in a real life or death situations and they are shooting for center mass.

A bad guy on meth or PCP may not even slow down for a while with anything less than a center mass shot. Don't bother shooting unless you plan to put them down permanently. We don't want to lose a fellow hobbyist and rocket designer.

My buddies house was broken into back a few years ago. The perpetrator must have been pretty dumb cause he entered through the doggie door and the doggie door was for a very large dog. Little Rufie is about 185 pounds of muscle, fur and slobber. He is a cross between an Irish Wolfhound and a Bouvier de Flandres.
When my buddy got home the dog was laying on the floor chewing on a running shoe. The shoe belonged to the perp. Nothing in the house was taken but there was blood on the floor in the kitchen and around the doggie door. I can just picture the guy coming through the doggie door on his hands and knees only to look way up into the slobbering maw of Little Rufie. It makes me giggle to this day. Thieves are truely the scum of the earth and deserve any punishment they get. I would toss them all into a very large industrial shredder.

Glad the OP was able to resolve the issue without a damaging outcome.
I concur with several here, nothing I 'physically' own is worth a confrontation over. However once a thief is in the house they might have a different opinion so a choice of not to engage might not be an option. Plus there's the principle of being violated....

My wife and I were robbed about 12 years ago by the two boyfriends of women who lived on our floor in our apartment building. Several eyewitness described them and our personel belongings that they carried out of our building in broad daylight. Jersey City police did a horrible job investigating the crime, we immediately vacated following the incident.

Currently for protection of my wife and daughters:
We self-installed a quality wireless security system which we only arm at night. We feel the loud alarm is an excellent deterrent to intruders sticking around. We live in brick row house urban area so there would be 20 neighbors calling 911.
I train in mixed martial arts, imho highly superior to relying on a projectile weapon in close quarter encounters. :dark:

Last edited:
Back