Split Infinitive, a Break-Apart Alphabet Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatgeek

Reaction score
This rocket was probably the longest-term occupant of my design percolator. It started way back inspired by @jqavins' Office Supply Rocket. Around the time that came out (2019!), my dearly beloved wife noticed that a batch of toilet paper came with really thick core tubes, and she asked if I wanted to save them for a rocketry project. That sat for a while. Then in 2021, I was all ready to start up a build thread about a break apart rocket with offset tubes that would be really, really cool ... when @neil_w started up the Shear Insanity build. Since I didn't want to (a) look like a follower or (b) have to live up to much, much higher build and design standards, I decided to shelve it for a while. A few months ago, I was cleaning up the workbench, noticed the tubes again, and started work.

The original plan was for simple 18mm or D12-24mm sized propulsion. Then I hit on the idea of making it an alphabet rocket. After all, if it's pretty light, it can boost on a lot of different motors. So that meant that I needed passage for long 24mm motors from CTI--at least 3 grain and maybe even 6 grain. Once I started in on that concept, offsetting the tube sections became really difficult. I ended up abandoning that for concentric tubes all the way up. At that point, it became a fairly straightforward break-apart recovery rocket. The nose cone is 3-D printed, as are the rings that join the tube sections. Each one of those has a centering cone with four indexing ridges. They hold together remarkably well but still break apart easily when there's no compression on the stack. Here's a matched pair of rings. The recesses are at the top of each tube section, and the ridges are at the bottom. All 3-D printed parts were designed in Rhino.

1692062787689.png

The fin can rings have an added twist of having rail guides and centering rings built in. You can just barely see the recesses in the left hand unit--that's the upper one.

1692062901056.png

The fins are mostly-vanilla papered balsa. The only weirdness is that I papered them with epoxy as an experiment. I'm not sure if I'll repeat that in the future, but it did give a really stiff final product. The tubes tended to delaminate and had really off-square ends, so I cut them square and soaked with with laminating epoxy to firm up the surfaces.

The other really interesting part from a design standpoint is how to hold it together in the air until I'm ready for the pieces to all separate. My plan is to have a small eye screw and nut tied to the middle of the shock cord. That will connect to a magnet at the base of the nose cone. If that all works, it'll be really slick. I'm not sure if it will work yet. 😬 I woudl also appreciate any input from people with experience flying berak-apart rockets to say how much space one needs between the pieces. At the moment, all of the parts are free-floating on the shock cord.

Without further ado, here's a mostly-finished product, both in flight form and broken apart:

IMG_4852.JPG IMG_4853.JPG

Since those pictures were taken, I wrapped the entire brown fin can section in peel and stick holographic vinyl. Since there's no chute and apogee is a couple of thousand feet on maximum motors, I want to be able to see flashes in the air.

Still to be done before maiden flight at Sod Blaster V Labor Day weekend:
Get the magnet retention system working properly (will likely require a couple of holes in the orange section)
Update the sim with final weight and CG

In theory, this has a range of apogee from 2 feet (1/2A-0) to 2,000' plus (F79). We'll see how things pan out in practice.

The fins are mostly-vanilla papered...
Damn autocorrect! :)

The other really interesting part from a design standpoint is how to hold it together in the air until I'm ready for the pieces to all separate. My plan is to have a small eye screw and nut tied to the middle of the shock cord. That will connect to a magnet at the base of the nose cone. If that all works, it'll be really slick. I'm not sure if it will work yet. 😬 I woudl also appreciate any input from people with experience flying berak-apart rockets to say how much space one needs between the pieces. At the moment, all of the parts are free-floating on the shock cord.
I need a more detailed description of this, probably with a sketch. I think that what I'm picturing won't work, so I probably have it wrong.

Earlier in the post, when you wrote "They hold together remarkably well but still break apart easily when there's no compression on the stack" my immediate thought was that it needs to hold together not in your work room, but while sitting on a pad, in a breeze waiting to go. So I was glad to read that you're thinking about holding them together. My first thought on that, interestingly, also went to magnets. My thought was to embed tiny disc magnets (such as these, for example) in the coupler doohickies so that they click together.

This rocket was probably the longest-term occupant of my design percolator. It started way back inspired by @jqavins' Office Supply Rocket. Around the time that came out (2019!), my dearly beloved wife noticed that a batch of toilet paper came with really thick core tubes, and she asked if I wanted to save them for a rocketry project. That sat for a while. Then in 2021, I was all ready to start up a build thread about a break apart rocket with offset tubes that would be really, really cool ... when @neil_w started up the Shear Insanity build. Since I didn't want to (a) look like a follower or (b) have to live up to much, much higher build and design standards, I decided to shelve it for a while. A few months ago, I was cleaning up the workbench, noticed the tubes again, and started work.

The original plan was for simple 18mm or D12-24mm sized propulsion. Then I hit on the idea of making it an alphabet rocket. After all, if it's pretty light, it can boost on a lot of different motors. So that meant that I needed passage for long 24mm motors from CTI--at least 3 grain and maybe even 6 grain. Once I started in on that concept, offsetting the tube sections became really difficult. I ended up abandoning that for concentric tubes all the way up. At that point, it became a fairly straightforward break-apart recovery rocket. The nose cone is 3-D printed, as are the rings that join the tube sections. Each one of those has a centering cone with four indexing ridges. They hold together remarkably well but still break apart easily when there's no compression on the stack. Here's a matched pair of rings. The recesses are at the top of each tube section, and the ridges are at the bottom. All 3-D printed parts were designed in Rhino.

View attachment 598210

The fin can rings have an added twist of having rail guides and centering rings built in. You can just barely see the recesses in the left hand unit--that's the upper one.

View attachment 598211

The fins are mostly-vanilla papered balsa. The only weirdness is that I papered them with epoxy as an experiment. I'm not sure if I'll repeat that in the future, but it did give a really stiff final product. The tubes tended to delaminate and had really off-square ends, so I cut them square and soaked with with laminating epoxy to firm up the surfaces.

Without further ado, here's a mostly-finished product, both in flight form and broken apart:

View attachment 598213 View attachment 598214

Since those pictures were taken, I wrapped the entire brown fin can section in peel and stick holographic vinyl. Since there's no chute and apogee is a couple of thousand feet on maximum motors, I want to be able to see flashes in the air.

Get the magnet retention system working properly (will likely require a couple of holes in the orange section)

In theory, this has a range of apogee from 2 feet (1/2A-0) to 2,000' plus (F79). We'll see how things pan out in practice.
Ah well, now you've scooped *me* on a break-apart rocket, as I'm in the middle of building an Odd'l Breakaway (build thread to come eventually on the LPR forum). I was far too lazy to go full ROYGBIV on the segment colors, though.

Your ring stacking system and the magnet retention is very interesting, although I have a couple of questions:
1) does the shock cord connect to the segments at all, or are they free-floating on the cord? On the Breakaway at least, the cord is connected to each segment, so there will be a consistent spacing between the segments after separation. If they're not all connected, then that suggests that the segments will possibly bounce around off each other on the cord during descent. That might not be a problem.

2) I'm thinking that the idea of magnetically attaching the middle of the shock cord to the nose cone suggests that the segments really are free-floating on the shock cord? Without any elastic in the system, it seems like stacking the whole thing and engaging the magnet will be tricky, unless the resulting assembly is still pretty loose. Have you tried that yet?

Ah well, now you've scooped *me* on a break-apart rocket, as I'm in the middle of building an Odd'l Breakaway (build thread to come eventually on the LPR forum). I was far too lazy to go full ROYGBIV on the segment colors, though.

Your ring stacking system and the magnet retention is very interesting, although I have a couple of questions:
1) does the shock cord connect to the segments at all, or are they free-floating on the cord? On the Breakaway at least, the cord is connected to each segment, so there will be a consistent spacing between the segments after separation. If they're not all connected, then that suggests that the segments will possibly bounce around off each other on the cord during descent. That might not be a problem.

2) I'm thinking that the idea of magnetically attaching the middle of the shock cord to the nose cone suggests that the segments really are free-floating on the shock cord? Without any elastic in the system, it seems like stacking the whole thing and engaging the magnet will be tricky, unless the resulting assembly is still pretty loose. Have you tried that yet?
OK, maybe I am picturing it correctly. If not, Neil and I have it wrong in exactly the same ways. Also, I think the attachment to each segment may be necessary to ensure that they all separate at all. Otherwise, what's to keep it from breaking in just one place and pulling the shock cord taught with the other joints intact. If the cord is attached to every segment, the inertia of the first-separated fractions will ensure that the others separate, because full separation is necessary when the shock cord goes taught.

Damn autocorrect! :)
No, that was the intended spelling. Vanilla was intended in the sense of ordinary, though this did have a little twist in using epoxy instead.
I need a more detailed description of this, probably with a sketch. I think that what I'm picturing won't work, so I probably have it wrong.
I'll get a picture of the assembly later on that will probably make it more clear. That said, initial testing showed that the magnet I had wasn't strong enough, so I need to jump up to a better one.
Earlier in the post, when you wrote "They hold together remarkably well but still break apart easily when there's no compression on the stack" my immediate thought was that it needs to hold together not in your work room, but while sitting on a pad, in a breeze waiting to go. So I was glad to read that you're thinking about holding them together. My first thought on that, interestingly, also went to magnets. My thought was to embed tiny disc magnets (such as these, for example) in the coupler doohickies so that they click together.
What I liked about a single magnet at the top is that the stack holds well if it has a little compression on it. The moment that breaks, the parts fall apart. If each individual coupler ring had a magnet, it would likely only break in one or two spots unless there's a lot of inertia in the ejection. I'm not sure that would be enough to break up the CP/CG relationship so it falls flat. It might also be inconsistent.
Ha ha! Scooped you again! :D The full ROYGBV (no indigo) was actually pretty easy since I had nearly all of the colors anyway. I keep being reminded of how much I hate yellow spray paint. For some reason, it always gets a white blush for me where it's on a little too thick.
The segments are all free-floating. I'm expecting them to bounce off each other. They're pretty light and reasonably strong so I don't think that will be an issue.
I tried that last night, and have a report. With a Kevlar shock cord the right length, the magnet and screw eye really want to connect up. Once I did some shock cord management, it worked pretty nicely. That said, I think it may be necessary to masking tape the sections together during assembly until the magnet connects. The whole stack is pretty fragile. I also discovered that the standard black magnet I had didn't have enough oomph, so I need to get one of those rare earth magnets, glue it over the black one I have, and readjust the shock cord length. I think that having elastic in the system might make it harder because you'd have to pull the screw down to the magnet.
OK, maybe I am picturing it correctly. If not, Neil and I have it wrong in exactly the same ways. Also, I think the attachment to each segment may be necessary to ensure that they all separate at all. Otherwise, what's to keep it from breaking in just one place and pulling the shock cord taught with the other joints intact. If the cord is attached to every segment, the inertia of the first-separated fractions will ensure that the others separate, because full separation is necessary when the shock cord goes taught.
No matter where it breaks first, it must detach the screw eye from the magnet. Once that happens, there's nothing holding the other parts together, and the whole stack will separate under inertia or aerodynamic forces. I'm guessing that the nose cone will stay connected to the orange section though since that's a typical slip joint.

No matter where it breaks first, it must detach the screw eye from the magnet. Once that happens, there's nothing holding the other parts together...
But I see little or nothing pulling them apart.
and the whole stack will separate under inertia or aerodynamic forces.
I don't see why you think inertia would separate them, and I think the aerodynamic forces would be unreliable in this regard. With the segments secured to the shock cord at fixed differences, then it's inertia that pulls them apart, because the nose cone and fin can have momentum from the ejection charge.
I'm guessing that the nose cone will stay connected to the orange section though since that's a typical slip joint.
Keep in mind that the Odd'l Breakaway has mostly typical slip joints at every separation, "mostly typical" in that one should make sure they are just a little smidge loose. And because they're strung out at fixed distances, they all come apart reliably. The magnets, if used at the separation planes, could be very mild ones, just enough to keep the together in the pre-launch breeze.

OK, I'm coming dangerously close to arguing instead of discussing, to I'll stop here.

When I finish my Breakaway, I'm thinking I'll do it in ROYGBP-W (and black fins, or maybe diffractive mylar tape) but with the order scrambled, white somewhere in the middle.

FINAL COMMENT (in this post):
The name, how about Split Imperative? Split Infinity? Never mind; you've picked a name you're happy with. I'll see myself out.

Last edited:
I woudl also appreciate any input from people with experience flying berak-apart rockets to say how much space one needs between the pieces.

Looks wonderful.

My experience with Odd’l Rockets Break Away and my own Viagara (sic) is longer shock cord is better, at least a segment length if not two between segments.

1692124503669.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 598210

View attachment 598211

View attachment 598213 View attachment 598214

So cool... looking forward to a launch report.

Looks wonderful.

My experience with Odd’l Rockets Break Away and my own Viagara (sic) is longer shock cord is better, at least a segment length if not two between segments.

View attachment 598300
Does the Viagara fall flat with that long stuffer tube? My concern with replicating that was that the fin can would be stable and would core sample. Plus keeping weight down for maximum alphabet.

But I see little or nothing pulling them apart.

I don't see why you think inertia would separate them, and I think the aerodynamic forces would be unreliable in this regard. With the segments secured to the shock cord at fixed differences, then it's inertia that pulls them apart, because the nose cone and fin can have momentum from the ejection charge.

Keep in mind that the Odd'l Breakaway has mostly typical slip joints at every separation, "mostly typical" in that one should make sure they are just a little smidge loose. And because they're strung out at fixed distances, they all come apart reliably. The magnets, if used at the separation planes, could be very mild ones, just enough to keep the together in the pre-launch breeze.

OK, I'm coming dangerously close to arguing instead of discussing, to I'll stop here.

When I finish my Breakaway, I'm thinking I'll do it in ROYGBP-W (and black fins, or maybe diffractive mylar tape) but with the order scrambled, white somewhere in the middle.

FINAL COMMENT (in this post):
The name, how about Split Imperative? Split Infinity? Never mind; you've picked a name you're happy with. I'll see myself out.
I don't think you're being argumentative, and I appreciate the input. I can't exactly refute your points except to say that while handling the sections, the slightest side load will make the stack fall apart. If there's any tumbling at all on descent, all of the joints except red-orange will come apart right away. That's part of why I need a strong magnet retention system to hold it together prior to ejection.

This is what the screw eye to nose cone magnet joint looked like a few days ago. I’ve since added a rare earth magnet in between the black ceramic magnet and the nut. It still doesn’t hold together if I pick it up by the middle but I don’t want to add so much retaining force that it doesn’t break apart.

A0004D1A-9D65-416C-A939-492BD4EC755E.jpeg

Any progress?
I’m just waiting to fly. There’s a D15 all ready for it as soon as the fields open up after soccer. I nominally could have flown it at a Labor Day launch but I had enough failures that I didn’t want to launch something marginal and get to be known as That Guy.

I launched Split Infinitive today on the D15-4. Everything worked really well, and I’m extremely pleased with the results. Assembly was a pain as always. Keeping all of the segments together until the magnet clicks is a hassle. It also needs to be stored right side up or upside down since it needs to be held together when on its side. I’m pretty sure a little practice will resolve that issue.

Up was great, and the delay was right on as far as I could tell. Right after the event, the fin can started glittering, so I knew it had separated. It landed a hair faster than I liked, so I may not be able to go all much farther up the alphabet. Also, going much higher than E will come with a very high risk of loss.

One last note. The holographic vinyl was Cricut brand peel and stick (not heat shrink). It didn’t stick consistently at first. I was pretty frustrated until I saw online that some people hit it with a heat gun. A little time with a hair dryer on high got everything to stick nicely.

Sorry, no pictures or video. Next time.

Why? Presumably it reached terminal velocity, won’t land any faster if it flies higher.
Larger motor = heavier burned out weight = faster descent. Although anything in the 24-40 case is probably the same burned out weight so it may not matter. The CTI 2- and 3-grain cases may be right out.

Given the apparent fiddliness of the magnetic attachment scheme, would you do it again if you were starting over?
That is a great question that I don't have a concise answer for. I think I would do it again assuming that I was operating under the same set of constraints of wanting an alphabet rocket using the toilet paper tubes. If this was a new rocket planned around a 24-40 casing and (say) BT-70 tubing, I would probably make the fins a bit bigger, extend a stuffer tube closer to the top, and use two rare earth magnets to give it more positive retention. But that would be a different rocket and a different premise. 🥸 I had to optimize so hard to have a chance of flying it on an A that I compromised away some other stuff. The tube size was definitely a hassle--just a titch bigger would have made a lot of things easier.

Back