Atlas-Able Semi-Scale Mid-Power

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t like to appear dumb but.....here goes. How can this rocket be stable with no fins? And what does the long narrow triangle at the back end of the rocket in the OR drawing mean?
"Blowgun Darts" are also stable, with no fins . . . "Base Drag", same principle on a fin-less rocket.

Dave F.

1681791487839.png

1681791523817.png

I don’t like to appear dumb but.....here goes. How can this rocket be stable with no fins? And what does the long narrow triangle at the back end of the rocket in the OR drawing mean?
Thanks for the enlightenment provided on my questions. I’ve learnt something new. Now before this thread gets highjacked...... back to the Atlas-able to see if it really has enough base drag to be stable.

Thanks for the enlightenment provided on my questions. I’ve learnt something new. Now before this thread gets highjacked...... back to the Atlas-able to see if it really has enough base drag to be stable.
It might be possible to incorporate a "Drag Plate", on the base of the Atlas-Able, to increase Base Drag if the available configuration does not provide a "sufficient amount" ( whatever that value is ).

That is not in my "bag of tricks", as I have never had a need to increase Base Drag, personally.

Dave F.

When you are so desperate as to reach into a "bag of tricks" to compensate for your extremely odd and thus poor rocket design, it is a sure sign that you need to go home and re-think your life. This is what a Jedi Master said to me at the bar after a launch, waiving his hand after I inquired as to the use of powered Tungsten for maximum nose weight in a small and oddly shaped nose cone on a Dornier 217 night fighter.

Nothing but oddroc scum hanging around with base drag hacks. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious. 3-4FNC is the way. Search your feelings and do not give into the Dark Side. :)

I want to see you cut and measure to 26 significant figures.

If I would have just put 3.14... some smart ass would have posted the 26 figures... so I figured I'd post the 26 figures, and then some... well.... nevermind.... have a great day. :computer: lol
If I am not using a calculator with a Pi key, I use either 3.1416 or 3.1415926, depending on the material being scaled.

Dave F.

Back