Are There Any Cloverfield Fans Still in the House...?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Then you should be excited about this little best kept secret:

[video=youtube;yQy-ANhnUpE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQy-ANhnUpE[/video]

I'm pretty psyched about it myself...

I've been waiting for a sequel. I thought it had been decided there would be no sequel. So I'm super psyched to see this is coming! Cloverfield is one of my all time favorite monster movies.

Hells YEAH!!!

I loved the Cloverfield Movie, and the Monster.

It's a very Lovecraftian Horror, like C'thulhu.

Can't wait!!!

Hmmm... This is the only Cloverfield I know...

[YOUTUBE]M1XEriXzNik[/YOUTUBE]

I followed the viral marketing all the way to the release of Cloverfield... this included the MySpace accounts that were created for the characters in the movie... Agreed, Cloverfield is on my all-time fav list as well... For a 'first-person-shooter" JJ Abhams made the filming a little more believable than other directors have done in the past.

A sequel? I didn't know anyone that actually liked this movie. To me this was a Blair witch Godzilla movie... meh. Is this one of those odd cult movies like Sharkado?

A sequel? I didn't know anyone that actually liked this movie. To me this was a Blair witch Godzilla movie... meh. Is this one of those odd cult movies like Sharkado?

It has a devoted following, and wasn't a low-budget crapfest movie. The first person found footage thing turned off a lot of people, though, like BWP. A lot of us were annoyed when the sequel got put on hold due to principal folk's involvement in Pacific Rim (which was glossy but pretty stupid really).

Cloverfield was a gritty, original take on the monster movie genre, with a reasonably inventive monster. Loved it. Can't wait to see this thing, though JJ is still on my naughty list for what he did to Star Trek.

Marc

Then you should be excited about this little best kept secret:

[video=youtube;yQy-ANhnUpE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQy-ANhnUpE[/video]

I'm pretty psyched about it myself...
Here's how the film came about and how it was such a well kept secret. It's a reworked film previously fully made and then dropped, one that had nothing to do with the Cloverfield monster. DON'T hover your mouse pointer over the blacked out spoiler text at the reddit link below if you don't want to read it although that spoiler text is the plot of the ORIGINAL film made under a different title and it sounds like the ending was changed with the supplemental shooting to involve the Cloverfield monster. HOWEVER, everything up to the monster's appearance is probably the same, so there are still spoilers in that blacked out text that probably apply to 10 Cloverfield Lane:

The truth about 10 Cloverfield Lane

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/416hat/the_truth_about_10_cloverfield_lanexpost_from/

Excerpt:

This film was originally made under the names Valencia and The Cellar for Paramounts Insurge division(a subsidiary for films made for under 5 million dollars like The Devil Inside), and when Paramount closed it down, this movie(shot and completed) was thrown out to the wind and orphaned. Paramount bought it back up and had Dan Casey and Damien Chazelle do some re-writes so that it would connect to the Cloverfield universe and they went back and did reshoots and add-ons in March 2015 in New Orleans and L.A.

This is a cash grab by Paramount so that they could make some quick bucks off of this film(which probably wouldn't have made a lot of money in its original non-Cloverfield incarnation). They are trying to spin this into something its really not. The budget is only 5 million dollars and they are releasing it in IMAX to make a little extra dough.

Here's how the film came about and how it was such a well kept secret. It's a reworked film previously fully made and then dropped, one that had nothing to do with the Cloverfield monster. DON'T hover your mouse pointer over the blacked out spoiler text at the reddit link below if you don't want to read it although that spoiler text is the plot of the ORIGINAL film made under a different title and it sounds like the ending was changed with the supplemental shooting to involve the Cloverfield monster. HOWEVER, everything up to the monster's appearance is probably the same, so there are still spoilers in that blacked out text that probably apply to 10 Cloverfield Lane:

The truth about 10 Cloverfield Lane

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/416hat/the_truth_about_10_cloverfield_lanexpost_from/

Excerpt:

This film was originally made under the names Valencia and The Cellar for Paramounts Insurge division(a subsidiary for films made for under 5 million dollars like The Devil Inside), and when Paramount closed it down, this movie(shot and completed) was thrown out to the wind and orphaned. Paramount bought it back up and had Dan Casey and Damien Chazelle do some re-writes so that it would connect to the Cloverfield universe and they went back and did reshoots and add-ons in March 2015 in New Orleans and L.A.

This is a cash grab by Paramount so that they could make some quick bucks off of this film(which probably wouldn't have made a lot of money in its original non-Cloverfield incarnation). They are trying to spin this into something its really not. The budget is only 5 million dollars and they are releasing it in IMAX to make a little extra dough.

Talk about a Spoiler!!
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm waiting for someone to do the Movie of H.P. Lovecrafts, "At The Mountains Of Madness" or something similar like "The Shadow Out Of Time"

[video=youtube;y7jp1CT1h6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7jp1CT1h6c[/video]

Talk about a Spoiler!!
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm waiting for someone to do the Movie of H.P. Lovecrafts, "At The Mountains Of Madness" or something similar like "The Shadow Out Of Time"

[video=youtube;y7jp1CT1h6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7jp1CT1h6c[/video]
Yeah, it's a real shame it isn't a proper, full-on, big budget Cloverfield sequel. I'd have liked to have seen that. This one will be one I'll wait to show up on Redbox.

Yeah. In the original, the "Rob's Birthday" scene stinks up the first 19 minutes until the news announces the capsizing of a tanker, and good stuff doesn't really start until 19:57 when there's a huge explosion. (Yes, I have a copy of the movie). In my opinion that was 18 minutes too long before stuff of interest happens.

From the comments above, it sounds like the bulk of the new movie is "non-monster-or-monster-related sequences" which would suck.

Funny how it makes me think of Mario Bros. 2, which was in fact a totally different game in Japan and which they marketed as a sequel to Mario Bros.

Cloverfield was far from a perfect movie, but there was something very poignant about it. It was one of those movies that are a bit stale but years after you keep thinking about them. Well, to me at least :)

My memories about Cloverfield:

I liked the shape of the monster. He looked cool.
Clove.jpg

I liked that nasty things dropped of it, that were semi-autonomous pack creatures, that bit people.
ouch.jpg

I liked that bit people developed a hemorrhagic condition, then went pop.

weve got a bite.jpgpop.jpg

I liked the scene where he jumped at the helicopter, then ate a guy.

good view.jpg
ate.jpg

All in all a charming romp

I liked everything about the monster too.
He, she, it, was indestructible too, which was a bonus!!!

I can't for the life of me figure out why there are not more movies about gigantic monsters destroying cities and civilization.

I would much rather see more of the monster and watch it destroy stuff than watch a drama about a girl trapped in a bomb shelter.

I liked everything about the monster too.
He, she, it, was indestructible too, which was a bonus!!!

I can't for the life of me figure out why there are not more movies about gigantic monsters destroying cities and civilization.

I would much rather see more of the monster and watch it destroy stuff than watch a drama about a girl trapped in a bomb shelter.

I agree, on both counts.

What annoys a monster?
Annoyed.jpg

The last thing you'll ever see...
hungry.jpg

If I had won that Powerball, I'd make my own blockbuster movies, giving the people what they want.

Giant Monsters set loose upon humanity.

"GODZILLA"

Meh, Godzilla was okay, but he was not indestructible like Cloverfield, even though in the end of the newest movie he does wake up and walk away.
If someone made a movie with C'thulhu, tha would be great because he is made of matter that exists in different dimensions at once or some such, and thusly would be indestructible like Cloverfield.

That said, both Godzilla and Cloverfield suffered terribly from scaling issues.
In one scene, they would appear to be one size, then in the next, they would appear larger or smaller compared to their surroundings.

The Tripods in "The War Of The Worlds" too had this problem, and it really annoyed me.

Last edited:
Great! It looks like the film originating as described above was reworked to act as a Cloverfield sequel and it's getting really good reviews from professional reviewers, 91% positive. Opens tomorrow.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10_cloverfield_lane/

A few of the reviews from professional reviewers:

The fact that it's so drastically different from Cloverfield makes it a perfect sequel.

Unpredictability in cinema is frequently a missing element -- especially when we're talking about movies that fall into the horror or science-fiction genres. With 10 Cloverfield Lane, there is no such problem. Trust me.

A taut, claustrophobic exercise in tension with a distinctly 'Twilight Zone' vibe...that will keep you guessing.

At the first of 'Cloverfield' there's like a disclaimer to make it look like a Government film. It says that this is just one of the narratives gathered about the 'incident' alluding to more films that include the same monster from different points of view. I thought something like that would be a cool way to do a series of movies.

Back