Apollo 11 capsule scan

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcp

Reaction score
Detailed scan of the Apollo 11 capsule from the Smithsonian. Some other bits there too.

I've fiddled with the capsule a bit and noted that when it came into Simplify3D it wasn't vertical, which would produce an annoying stairstep layering on the top surface and edges. With a lot of trial and error, I found that an x rotation of -1.49 degrees, and a y rotation of 0.1 degrees pretty much leveled it up. I was looking at the 1/20 version but I'd expect the 1/40 to be the same.

I could not get the slicer to render the upper edges of the four brackets in the upper assembly. I'm guessing they're too thin, and the model would have to be modified to beef them up.

Interesting note, if you cross-section and move from the bottom-up it's apparent that the heat shield doesn't have a round cross-section at all points; midway it becomes sort of a rounded hexagon. I was wondering if that's the way it was originally shaped or if re-entry burned it out that way?

Here's what I mean about the heat shield. As irregular as it is, I'd suspect it's the result of ablation.

heat shield1.JPGheat shield2.JPGheat shield3.JPG

Back