Crate Finish For A "Lego" Rocket...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
One of the problems I've been having with the Saturn V "Lego" rockets I've built. Several of them (save two) have at various times been knocked over, or mishandled by students, parents, and have been "rekitted" for me. In all, I've likely built/rebuilt them something like 15 times (I've lost count). The last time it happened (my fault that time), the 2nd stage fell off the 1st stage, and exploded into a pile of parts. I swept up the parts, put them in a bag, and went for a drink at my local watering hole. Despite not having the instructions, I was able to rebuild the section in about half an hour.

The problem has mostly been linked to the 1x2 horizontal clips made by the manufacturer. I noticed that in other kits from other manufacturers that the parts that I had swapped in to replace the damaged/broken clips were much stronger, and had a much more solid grip on the parts they were attached to. I approached one of the local "Lego" robotics schools in the building (we have 2), and they were able to get me genuine Lego parts. I've since replaced all the clips on the rockets (save three that were sold/given away and out of reach). The results have been amazing. The rockets which couldn't be tipped much past 30 degrees from vertical without falling apart can now be (carefully) rotated from vertical to inverted without any support other than the grip I have on the first stage.

Inspired by that I decided to create a method to hold the rockets firmly, yet allow people to get up close to them, in a manner that would prevent accidents from causing the rockets any grief.

I first tried using the original stands and attach them to a "picture" and tether the rocket with fishing line. Problem is, there are only 3 stands, and they didn't prevent the rocket from breaking at the staging joints when pressure was applied to them (accidentally). I then opted to make a "cradle" to hold them using a mixture of Lego Technic parts, standard Legos, some screws, a couple of pieces of wood, a pair of "T" brackets, and a pair of "L" brackets. I also found in an abandoned section of the building a crate that had sides that were about the right size (110 cm x 56 cm). This was to become my "picture". The cradle was secured to one of the crate's sides (after it was given a skin of thin foam to give it a more professional appearance), and a custom poster.

1598628558657.png

"Supporting" the nozzles are the "T" braces. They are arranged in a "H" shape and are actually intended as a method to prevent little kids from pulling the nozzles off. I drilled small holes in the fins and tied them in place to prevent them from being lost as well. The rocket is tied to the cradle and the cradle is tied to a painted board that keeps it straight and supports the weight with a heavy fishing line. I have to say, I'm quite pleased with the results. However, if/when I do it again, I'd like to have the image printed on a matt (not shiny) backing to stop lights from reflecting off of it. This kit is destined to go to our second location, to be hung on the wall at the 2nd floor level in the stairwell (keeps fingers away from the rocket).

My initial intention was to include images of the Eagle lander on the moon, and the capsule and crew being recovered from the ocean flanking the rocket, with the small included lander and capsule dioramas mounted inside baseball protective cases so they could be displayed as well. However, my manager didn't want to pony up for the extra expense... So, no extras (at this time).

FWIW: The Apollo 11 Lunar Lander is a genuine Lego kit.

Last edited:
Excellent display and cool touch with the back drop.
There are very few products I'm brand loyal to but real Lego is one of them. The parts have a certain glue like grab that other manufacturers just don't get. The premium cost is well worth it.

Back