Anybody know what this is?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
I saw this today in a short video, with no details of what it is. Maybe some sort of projectile for a bazooka?

Would like to know the specific name.

Thanks!

John

What Is It.jpg

Last edited:
In the video in the first split second you see the blast, maybe from a gun barrel.
The bright "exhaust" may be a flare for tracking instead of a rocket motor, IDK.

Could be a mortar round but it could also be something similar to a SMAW round in this case a HE FRAG with proximity burst.

It is an AT-4. When I am able, I will post pictures of a model I started. The spring loaded fins are difficult to make without using metal (other than the springs).

Last edited:
with no details of what it is.
That answer is right there in the social media post,

owenaviation

M1147 AMP Projectile creating shock waves in slow motion!!
Credit - Northrop Grumman

Take a few seconds to plug M1147 AMP in to a favorite search engine and ...

https://www.technology.org/2022/03/20/nextgen-m1147-120mm-cartridge-abrams/
"

Northrop Grumman’s Next-Gen M1147 Advanced Multi Purpose 120mm cartridge for the ABRAMS M1A2 (Video)​

Posted March 20, 2022

Northrop Grumman has recently introduced their newly-developed M1147 Advanced Multi Purpose (AMP) 120mm cartridge for the U.S. ABRAMS M1A2 main battle tank. This new line-of-sight type ammunition is the next generation high explosive multipurpose round intended to replace other types of projectiles currently used in ABRAMS M1A2.

Previously, U.S. main battle tanks used these four types of rounds:

• M830 High Explosive Anti-Tank Multi-Purpose with Tracer (HEAT‑MP-T),
  • M830A1 HEAT-MP-T,
  • M1028 Canister (CAN) round, and
  • M908 Obstacle Reducing with Tracer (OR-T) round.

New M1147 cartridge consolidates the capabilities of these four rounds into a single munition. This means that ABRAMS crews are getting greater mission flexibility and better firepower, because the tank will be able to operate equally effective under different combat scenarios. Required mode is set instantly during the selection, using specialized military hardware interface.
"

And here from Northrop Grumman itself is the round's origin story,
https://news.northropgrumman.com/ne...on-to-develop-next-generation-120mm-tank-ammo
"
October 08, 2015

Single Advanced Multi-Purpose Round Gives Abrams Main Battle Tank the Capability of Four Existing Munitions
DULLES, Va.Oct. 8, 2015-- Orbital ATK (NYSE: OA), a global leader in aerospace and defense technologies, announced today that the company was awarded a $16 million contract with options for the first phase of development for the 120mm Advanced Multi-Purpose (AMP), XM1147 High Explosive Multi-Purpose with Tracer cartridge. This new tank ammunition will provide Abrams Main Battle Tank crews a multi-purpose round that replaces four existing rounds, giving greater mission flexibility and main-gun capability through a single munition for multiple engagement scenarios.
"

Can anyone find a scale diagram w/ dimensions?
Highly unlikely since its an experimental and current development project. About the best probability of getting measurements is to take them off the image, it is a 120mm projectile. I did find this search though that gives the Sabot rounds dimensions for the M1 Abrams M256E1 gun. Diameter of the rounds driving band/skirt should be 120mm.

https://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/weapon/M256.html

Bonus points for building a scale model that launches out of a tube with fins that flip outward after it exits the tube.

Here's where I left off. The body is BT-80, the motor tube is heavy-walled 29mm. I used the "spool" from a roll of thread glued onto a BT-80 nosecone. I think if I did it now, I would make a cardstock trandition, rather than Bondo putty. Kevlar tape for recovery. Plywood centering rings. Only the centering rings are glued up, never got to the point of gluing motor tube/CRs into body. I never got the folding fins to work right. I was trying to make them from 1/8" ply. Sorry the pictures are so bad. If I get more mobile, maybe I can carry the rocket to where there's more light.

rpg1.jpg
rpg2.jpg
rpg3.jpg
rpg4.jpg
rpg5.jpg

Back