Alternate sled mounting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performance nut

Reaction score
I have a project where all-thread or any sort of railing is going to be problem. One of the bulkheads I cannot drill into without the potential of damaging the part. The part will be sealed completely and will be epoxied in place.

The lower part of the makeshift e-bay will have a bulkhead to mount deployment charges and will be removeable. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get a sled inside that will not move around during flight. I thought about using some clips that can be epoxied to the top bulkhead and either epoxied or screwed into the bottom bulkhead. Not my favorite idea as I can see the sled still sliding out. Another idea is a sort of channel that the sled sits in. Though, unless the channel is an exact fit, there will still be vibration. But you can wedge something between the sled and channel to minimize movement.

With all that said, has anyone used some unique solutions for sled mounting? I'm curious what folks have cooked up.

I have a project where all-thread or any sort of railing is going to be problem. One of the bulkheads I cannot drill into without the potential of damaging the part. The part will be sealed completely and will be epoxied in place.

The lower part of the makeshift e-bay will have a bulkhead to mount deployment charges and will be removeable. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get a sled inside that will not move around during flight. I thought about using some clips that can be epoxied to the top bulkhead and either epoxied or screwed into the bottom bulkhead. Not my favorite idea as I can see the sled still sliding out. Another idea is a sort of channel that the sled sits in. Though, unless the channel is an exact fit, there will still be vibration. But you can wedge something between the sled and channel to minimize movement.

With all that said, has anyone used some unique solutions for sled mounting? I'm curious what folks have cooked up.
I have a sled that actually sides in and out horizontally on a center ring. There is a hatch door for access. However not all altimeters can be used in a horizontal position. I will post a picture.

Can you just mount the sled to the removable bulkhead so it just slides into place and is held in place by the bulkhead itstelf? Without pictures it's hard to understand exactly the dilemma.

Tony

Pretty simple. Altimeter attaches to the sled, sled slides into the latch and is secured with screws at the aft end. Plug in the external switch and close the hatch. 20190429_193455.jpeg20190429_193704.jpeg20190429_193622.jpeg

Back