Nose Cone Shock Cord Mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 43968

Reaction score
I am planning on building a darkstar 3 kit in the upcoming week and I have a questions about how to attach the shock cord to the nose cone. I know the kit comes with a bulkhead to attach an eyebolt too for the nose cone shock cord, since it is a normal dual deploy. I was wondering if rather than using the bulkhead, if I can directly attach the shock cord to the metal nose cone tip using an eye bolt (similar to head end deploy). There will still be the payload section on the rocket above the av bay with the main packed in it like normal. I was unsure if this is a good idea or if issues can arise.

Thanks for any insight!

I am planning on building a darkstar 3 kit in the upcoming week and I have a questions about how to attach the shock cord to the nose cone. I know the kit comes with a bulkhead to attach an eyebolt too for the nose cone shock cord, since it is a normal dual deploy. I was wondering if rather than using the bulkhead, if I can directly attach the shock cord to the metal nose cone tip using an eye bolt (similar to head end deploy). There will still be the payload section on the rocket above the av bay with the main packed in it like normal. I was unsure if this is a good idea or if issues can arise.

Thanks for any insight!
Yes

Thanks for any insight!
Just make sure you account for the extra volume when calculating your main chute deployment charge.

Yes. I built my Darkstar 3 with an eye bolt to secure the shock cord and the nosecone tip. I also added extra bulkheads to the nosecone coupler/shoulder and secured it to the nosecone with PEM nuts and small bolts. This allows for an extra payload bay in the nosecone shoulder and lets me configure it for head end dual deploy or even leaving the payload bay off and popping the nosecone with the motor. There are lots of ways to build this kit.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/level-2-project-another-darkstar-3-build.173275/

Back