AGM-14 HELL`S COMMING " DONE" !!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting method to do your fin slots. I may try it when I get home.

Interesting method to do your fin slots. I may try it when I get home.

Hey Chuck ,

Do you mean by using the Zona saw ?

I just I would see if cutting by hand was at all feasible ,so I thought what the hey ,I`ll give it a shot.

It went surprisingly quick and easy.

Normally I use a jig/fixture and cut slots on my router table ,but I was hoping to show folks without power tools that it could be done easily and with basic hand tools.The same went for the body tubes ,very easy and fast !

I plan going this route ,as I have plenty of parts to cut for detail parts ,tubes etc. ,so I`ll keep all my BlueTubes cuts by hand....no cheating LOL

Plywood fins ,although it could be done .....well...we`ll leave that to the Amish !

Paul T

Last edited:
Need a picture of the router jig. :)

Oh oh.....I took it apart already :y:

I needed the base for another jig.....a secret project that requires a secret jig !

Well OK ,fins for a 4" Mercury Redstone.

The base of the jig was made of nice 3/4" thick Baltic Birch ,so I wanted to re-use it ,stuff ain`t cheap ,but then what is in rocketry ?

Take care Jeff !

Paul T

Thanks Paul for posting the Zona saw, I just used it to cut a fiberglass tube. It worked great and it just needed a little sanding to be square.

Thanks Paul for posting the Zona saw, I just used it to cut a fiberglass tube. It worked great and it just needed a little sanding to be square.

Isn`t that a nice little saw.I just bought another saw and the set of blades ,as they all come in handy.

I rather enjoy using it to cut all kinds of tubes and non-ferous metals (brass and aluminum cut nicely ) and I find it less work and less mess !

I even bet Chuck could use it for bone surgery if needed :wink:

Happy cutting !

Paul T

It is a nice little saw, I am also going to use it cut a piece of aluminum angle for my av sleds. Chuck will have no problem cutting bones with this lol!

This afternoon I cut some aluminum 3/4 x 1/2" angles to length on my power miter saw.

These will be the fin strakes, and part of the fin can assembly.

Paul t

phpLZjld8PM.jpg

I then drove to work (our fabrication shop) and used the hand brake to re-bend the angles past 90 degrees ,so as to conform to the radius of the 6" Body Tube.

I think you can tell by this picture the slight over 90 bend I put into the angles.I tested them and they fit well.

Paul T

phpduw9F1PM.jpg

I`m off to the workshop to cut some bevels or angles on the front of the aluminum fin strakes.For this I`ll measure and mark and then use the old ZONA saw with the fine blade (the one I used to cut the body tube to length) and cut these babies by hand ,as doing it on the power miter saw is a little dangerous.It should go pretty fast.

Then, I`ll figure out my spacing pattern for the screws and hardware and drill the holes ion the drill press.I pretty much have my all the assorted hardware I`ll be using for this project ,mostly stainless steel black oxide machine ,button head,flat head socket and cap screws in the 6-32 , 8-32 .#6 and # 10 plus some other goodies I have in stock.

YES.....I have a lot of CRAP in the `ole shop :wink:

I`m also going to get to work on the forward fins.These will be made using 1/4" Baltic Birch as opposed to the 3/8" BB i used for the main fins.

The forward fins will be made using TTW ,which means i`ll have to figure something out for the forward section ,cause I think the fins will have to penetrate the nosecone shoulder.

No worries, one step at a time.

Cheers

Paul T

Jeff....the F-106 is cool!! talk about a jump in performance over the 102....how long did the 106 serve? Gosh, I think the Airforce got its money's worth out of those planes!

Actually the F-106 carried them on alert for years. I was with the 84th FIS back in '76 at Castle AFB. Crew chief on a Dart. I sorta remember the whole schmear. No lone zones, elephant walks...

I'll away remember the first day on the job when SMSgt Eddie Thomas told me... if you hear those doors, it's too late.

ahhh.....have you started work on fins for the Redstone? another sweet build from our good friend up north!!

Oh oh.....I took it apart already :y:

I needed the base for another jig.....a secret project that requires a secret jig !

Well OK ,fins for a 4" Mercury Redstone.

The base of the jig was made of nice 3/4" thick Baltic Birch ,so I wanted to re-use it ,stuff ain`t cheap ,but then what is in rocketry ?

Take care Jeff !

Paul T

ahhh.....have you started work on fins for the Redstone? another sweet build from our good friend up north!!

I made a master template (big surprise there LOL) for the main part and have the smaller steering ? fin measured out as well as that little flat piece that goes between the main and steering /swiveling fin, so i pretty much have things figured out to make the 3 part fin plenty strong.

But that`s a new scratch build ,to be revealed soon my friend.But alas...I feel I`m spreading myself out a little thin.

BUT IT SURE IS FUN :clap:

BTW- I got the scale templates from Gordon "Sandman" for the fins ,very handy indeed.

Gordon the Sandman is a great man !!!!

Paul T

Please, please strap this to the top of your car and wave cheerfully at the local law enforcement on your way to a launch! :rofl: (Same goes for the Falcon :D)
Seriously, this is just too cool. :drool:

Please, please strap this to the top of your car and wave cheerfully at the local law enforcement on your way to a launch! :rofl: (Same goes for the Falcon :D)
Seriously, this is just too cool. :drool:

Yah ,that might be a goof going over the US border ! I go to the USA all the time.....those customs dudes ain`t much for the Hah!

Paul T

Oh great, now I need to buy another tool.

It`s a great little saw Jim ,with I had one years ago.I had the Exacto version ,but the Zona is better ,and not expensive at all ,about $ 8.00 for the kit (saw handle and 4 different blades)

Besides ,you know a guy can never have to many tools.

Paul T

Last night I thought I`d do something easy ,as i was pretty tired from working outside in the -25 F cold up here !

So I made the forward fins, which took longer than I though, you know ,scale them ,cut a master ,cut the blanjs then route them.

Then I put a bevel using my stationary sanding center.

I put fin tabs, as the fins are going to be a sort of TTW.In order to make the rocket look scale and because of fin location, the fin slots will also need to pass through the NC shoulder.

Here are the fins before final epoxy coats and sanding.

Paul T

php3QNyuzPM.jpg

phpSPXbumPM.jpg

phpuinpBtPM.jpg

Because the fins pass through the BT and NC shoulder ,there isn`t a whole lot to support them.

I made these 1/4" thick backing plates and slotted them out on the router table using a 1/4" solid carbide spiral bit.

These will be epoxied into the nosecone shoulder and the fins then epoxied into the NC ,BT and through the plates.

This will give plenty of strength.

I`ll need to measure and route out slots into the nose cone shoulder to match up with the slots in the forward body tube.

Paul T

phpEmjQR6PM.jpg

phppXUcj7PM.jpg

Ahhh ,you`ll see ! LOL

Kinda why I don`t like doing detailed builds ,too much explaining and picture taking to do.

But basically ,these things get epoxied into the nosecone (the plates) and then the fin tabs will pass through the body tube ,the nosecone shoulder and the backing plate.It just gives me more thickness or a thicker slot ,in which the fin tab makes contact ,increasing surface area and hopefull a stronger fin connection.

The nosecone/nosecone bulkhead is going to weight quite a bit ,so the fins need to be pretty strong.

But like I said ,you`ll see what I mean when I get that far.

Paul t

I got the fin supports/strake cut to the angle i wanted using my little Zona saw using the smaller blade.

The cutting went pretty quickly with the hand saw ,and very smooth.I just used a metal file to cut down the sharp edges.

Now I need to mark the holes and drill them on the drill press ,now that I have the hardware figured out and matched to pictures I`ve seen of the real missile.Not exact ,but close enough that I`m happy with them.

Cheers

Paul t

php0HerRLPM.jpg

phpc41JsKPM.jpg

phpcS9eqSPM.jpg

phpkCoiDJPM.jpg

Paul wondering if you have seen the Public Television (PBS) NOVA episode on the American Drones. The sequence where they unbox and load a Hellfire is priceless! The Hellfire has sweet launch shoes and is smaller than I thought..The clear dome also covers less of the cone as a Copper Head.
This episode also includes some POV damage to (Insurgents) from the drone.
I have seen this and more (the depleted Uranium round from the A-10's) from a corrections officer friend back in the early 90's from his brother when the military was clueless on what their soldiers were downloading.

Last edited:
Paul love the build! Thanks for the effort! I like sharing my builds with others. Or maybe just thinking it through.

Paul wondering if you have seen the Public Television (PBS) NOVA episode on the American Drones. The sequence where they unbox and load a Hellfire is priceless! The Hellfire has sweet launch shoes and is smaller than I thought..The clear dome also covers less of the cone as a Copper Head.
This episode also includes some POV damage to (Insurgents) from the drone.
I have seen this and more (the depleted Uranium round from the A-10's) from a corrections officer friend back in the early 90's from his brother when the military was clueless on what their soldiers were downloading.

Darn it !!!!!

I started watching it ,but decided to go for a walk and do some weights ,damn !

I would have loved to have seen that.

Thanks

Paul T

Paul love the build! Thanks for the effort! I like sharing my builds with others. Or maybe just thinking it through.

Thanks Jeff !

I like sharing my builds also ,but it gets a little much trying to explain what`s going on in the pictures ,or I lose track and don`t explain too well.

When I do a scratch build ,I don`t make detailed plans or do a RockSim (I do have RS though) I just do the scale factoring, get my preliminary measurements then start.

I build by the seat of my pants and figure things out as I go.If I run into a problem, I move onto something else, until the solution comes to me ,usually while in bed LOL

The way i see it, I read and look at blue prints all day at work ,I don`t plan on doing that at home for a hobby ! It`s bad enough my addendum book at work is already 38 pages long for my new project ,I don`t want that for a scratch built rocket LOL

Take care

Paul T

OK ,before bed I got the fin supports drilled and then sanded them all with 120 grit and filed off any burrs.

Two types of hardware will be used to fasten these to the fins and body tube.

One less tedious task done ,and put aside until needed later.

Paul T

php2GZikFPM.jpg

php8I89ETPM.jpg

phprZ6VkLPM.jpg

phpyicN6GPM.jpg

Now I need to mark the holes and drill them on the drill press ,now that I have the hardware figured out and matched to pictures I`ve seen of the real missile.Not exact ,but close enough that I`m happy with them.

Cheers

Paul t

I'll bet the hardware you came up with will be so close a Hellfire engineer couldn't tell the difference.

I'll bet the hardware you came up with will be so close a Hellfire engineer couldn't tell the difference.

Well I know this ,it sure ain`t cheap !

I guess as soon as you call them specialty fasteners ,the price goes up ?

Paul T

Back