AGM-14 HELL`S COMMING " DONE" !!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the ol' F-101 Voo Doo..another neat plane...I love the Century series of fighters...those Falcons are sweet too...one of these days I am going to try a build of the F-102, my personal favorite of the Century series with that cool missile bay filled with Falcons...cool stuff Paul!

I too love the "Century Series".....they don`t make them like that anymore !

It`s pretty much the reason I got into modeling 1/48 scale aircraft.

OBTW- I think those Genies were also supposed to be used for airbursts over land targets ,but again ,as long as you get close enough, it`ll work :eyeroll:

.....FALCONS are cool !

Paul T

OK....so you all know I have more power tools than clamps.....or brains for that matter ,so I`m going to cut ALL my 6" BlueTube by hand.

First this will show you it can be done with just one little hand tool ,quickly and accurately.

And that anybody can use BlueTube or phenolic or FG for that matter (although perhaps not all aspects such as fin slots ?)and others, without the need for fancy power tools and saws.

All my cuts and slices and fin slots will be made with my ZONA saw ,and just two saw blades.I just mark the tube in several spots where i want my finished length to be ,cut an appropriate length of heavy cardstock to fit the circumference (18.84 " or 18.8495555.....whatever) about 3" wide and add a 1" tab to tape to the other end ,and while your at it,mark off the locations for the 4 fins and save for later.

Start at one end ,tape down ,and match up with the lines you made ,while pulling it somewhat tightly and tape the tab to the other end.Use a Shrpie fin line marker and follow the edge all around and remove the wrap.You now have a nice dark line to use as you cutting reference.

I like to use a red or black fine tip Sharpie for this ,as it makes a nice dark line on the BlueTube...pencil can be too faint.

I don`t normally like to use Sharpie felt pens or other solvent type pens on tubes,as it may/will/can bleed through when solvent based paints are applied over it ,giving you a nice purple black shadow under your paint job.I learned that one time while airbrushing a model airplane ,where I used a Sharpie to darken panel lines.Strated painting and soon ,I had nice bleeding lines under the paint.....not good !

In this case ,I can use a Sharpie type pen for all my reference lines and work ,as all the BlueTube will be sanded and sealed with clear lacquer ,so the lines will not re-dissolve into my paint/primer work.

You can ,and i have,used one of those archival felt pens to do this also ,as they are permanent and will not be affected by solvents.

Anyway......here`s the saw and tube being cut.It really goes pretty quick ,just make a light shallow cut all around the line you drew and then keep going `round and `round untill you go through.I made a plywood craddle to hold the BT while cutting.It just makes it easier.

For cutting body tubes ,I use the larger blade with the stiffening back (dovetail saw basically) ,very fine teeth ,clean cuts.

I bought the saw at Micro-Mark ,the whole kit saw hanble,4 different blades runs about $10 bucks......a VERY good investment....***Paul T approved ***

Excuse any bad spelling or gibberish for that matter ,as I did not proof read this.....too damn long LOL

Paul T

phpRcu5IbAM.jpg

phpVWNM3ZAM.jpg

To cut the slots ,I drilled some 3/8" starter holes using a high quality HSS brad point bit and a piece of coupler as a backing to prevent blow outs.

I then use the blade point and slowly start cutting until the entire blade can be pulled back and forth in full strokes.This blade has fewer teeth per inch ,so it cuts a little more aggresively and quickly.

It didn`t take me long to cut the 4 slots ,maybe 15-20 minutes.....and keep in mind ,these fin slots are 15 inches long each ,as the fins are 18" long and will be made of 3/8" thick Baltic Birch plywood.

Paul T

phptMPkk8AM.jpg

Zona saw blade cutting the slots ,all by hand ,the Amish way LOL

Paul "Abraham" T

php1ihxY7AM.jpg

phpk8MASNAM.jpg

And these BadBoys are done !

Now some sanding on the inside with 180 grit ,a bit of sanding to fine tune the width of the slots ,then sand the entire outside with 180.

I`ll then use Bondo Spot putty to fill them thar groovy grooves ,re-sand with 180 and then brush on some gloss clear DEFT lacquer (after using a tack cloth to remove sanding dust and grit) to seal the BlueTube and after it`s dry.......20-30 minutes ,a final sanding with 220 and vacuum and again TACK cloth the tube and done.

Now to go do some sanding and filling etc.

Until then.....

Paul T

php8flJ31AM.jpg

phpCgBtfBAM.jpg

Last edited:
Pimpasourous--Pimpadood---Pimpa latte---Regardless----HE THE MAN !---GO BABY GO!!!---DRIVE---GO ---GO ---GO !!!!

EVERYBODY SHH!!!

Do not interrupt him while he works his magic :headbang:

You guys are killing me........

It`s only a body tube LOL.....I can`t stop laughing !

OK, I got the Aft BT done and all shiny ,I`ll take a picture ,but then I need to get back to the fins.

I need to make a jig to do the leading edge bevels ,as i don`t feel like sanding those things.I`ll use my router table with a straight cutter......

Well....I`ll show you later LOL

Picture comming , then back to the shop.

Paul T

You guys are killing me........

It`s only a body tube LOL.....I can`t stop laughing !

OK, I got the Aft BT done and all shiny ,I`ll take a picture ,but then I need to get back to the fins.

I need to make a jig to do the leading edge bevels ,as i don`t feel like sanding those things.I`ll use my router table with a straight cutter......

Well....I`ll show you later LOL

Picture comming , then back to the shop.

Paul T

Looking forward to seeing the jig. I'm certain I'll be in awe.

Alright....(GAWD...I hate taking picutres :eyeroll:.....I`m lousy at it !)

Here is the aft body tube ,all filled with Bondo (took two applications due to shrinkage) and sealed with clear lacquer then finish sanded with 220.

Those hole at the bottom are for the fin steering rings ,just for looks....although this may be a stoopid idea ? We`ll see.

Take care guys ,you`re the best :handshake:

Paul T

phpAbpQRLPM.jpg

phpcVv1pXPM.jpg

phpHkTCiEPM.jpg

phpRYPkNTPM.jpg

nothing like watching the master at work..looks like you had a good day's work up there Paul!

Alright....(GAWD...I hate taking picutres :eyeroll:.....I`m lousy at it !)

Here is the aft body tube ,all filled with Bondo (took two applications due to shrinkage) and sealed with clear lacquer then finish sanded with 220.

Those hole at the bottom are for the fin steering rings ,just for looks....although this may be a stoopid idea ? We`ll see.

Take care guys ,you`re the best :handshake:

Paul T

nothing like watching the master at work..looks like you had a good day's work up there Paul!

Yah ,I`d get more done if I wasn`t on this darn (notice no swearing in build threads ?) computer all day :blush:

I`m also busy working on my Estes Big Der Red Max ,nice easy kit but the fins are the time consuming part ,but I love that stuff.

Then there`s the scratch 4" Mercury Redstone ,I have a plan hatching in me noggin`

Paul T

I did some work on making fins last night and this morning

Started out by making a master fin template ,then tracing it on fin blanks leaving about an 1/16" bigger all around except for the tabs ,those I keep square and true.

In my router table I use a 1/2" pattern bit w/top bearing ,nail the master template onto the blanks (one at a time of course) and run the pattern on the router bit.The master runs along the bearing and cuts the rough blank to the exact shape as the master fin.....all fins come out exactly the same !

I then ran all the edges on a 45 degree chamfering bit to knock off the sharp edges and any splinters that may occur during machining.

The fins on the real missile have steerable rear tabs ,so I wanted that look on mine ,but did not want to cut the fins seperate and lose strength.

My solution was to give the impression that the tab was a seperate piece ,so I used a 1/8" solid carbide cutter and cut shallow slots where needed ,and according to pictures I found.

I made a little sliding fixture and a toggle clamp to keep the fins square and steady and to make all the cuts uniform.

You know......I think I spend more time making fixtures and jigs ,than I do building rockets ! But it`s still fun :wink:

Paul T

phpaq4HKYAM.jpg

phpDuvEwyAM.jpg

Last edited:
And......here`s what I got.

Noooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....I need to make another jig....:eyeroll: in order to bevel the leading edges of the fins ,as they need a sharp angle.

I`ll make a plywood sled with an angled upright and fasten the fins to it and using a 1/2" straight cutter ,run it along and see what happens......cause my brothers....old Paul T ain`t in the mood to sand sharp bevels today ! LOL

Anyway ,here`s the fins so far.

After making the bevels ,I`ll sand everything with my random orbit with 220 grit ,then mix up some WEST epoxy and brush the fin surfaces in a liberal manner (not to be confused with a Democrat.....:cool:) and let cure then sand again with 220 grit.

I`ll need to fill a few tear outs with good old Bondo before I epoxy the fins.

I use this technique of sealing plywood fins all the time ,kind of strengthens the fibers as it soaks in and gives a glass smooth finish after sanding.

Cheers

Paul t

phpu7EOlEAM.jpg

phpWdnDZUAM.jpg

AMAZING BUILD!!!!! Can I have your workshop?:p:wink:

Keep up the good work!

Merci Bien !

You can come over if you bring some beer...Moosehead is good ...Cracked Canoe is my favorite..Sleeman is good for building rockets also :cheers:

Salut !

Paul T

Last edited:
So awesome, Paul! I think the detail you added for the steerable tabs will look great. Can't wait to see the finished product!

So awesome, Paul! I think the detail you added for the steerable tabs will look great. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Thankyou ,it`s going to be a work in progress ,as I never really make plans ,I just build as I go.

I see making plans as a minor detail and cuts into my building time ,wierd or what ? LOL

Maybe it`s because I look at blueprints all day and have to plan accordingly........

Things are falling into place so far ,but slowly.

Because I`m waiting for the fins to cure ,I can`t do much,as I need them for measurements for some detail parts ,so the fins need to be in place and in hand.

Besides ,I have another little something going on :wink:

Cheers

Paul T

Der Red Max is sweet but its tough to top a Redstone....that is a cool rocket! Just love the paint scheme on the ol Mercury Redstones...the roll bands, red escape tower...just neat looking!

Yah ,I`d get more done if I wasn`t on this darn (notice no swearing in build threads ?) computer all day :blush:

I`m also busy working on my Estes Big Der Red Max ,nice easy kit but the fins are the time consuming part ,but I love that stuff.

Then there`s the scratch 4" Mercury Redstone ,I have a plan hatching in me noggin`

Paul T

she is really coming along nicely!! this is going to be awesome when done!!

And......here`s what I got.

Noooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....I need to make another jig....:eyeroll: in order to bevel the leading edges of the fins ,as they need a sharp angle.

I`ll make a plywood sled with an angled upright and fasten the fins to it and using a 1/2" straight cutter ,run it along and see what happens......cause my brothers....old Paul T ain`t in the mood to sand sharp bevels today ! LOL

Anyway ,here`s the fins so far.

After making the bevels ,I`ll sand everything with my random orbit with 220 grit ,then mix up some WEST epoxy and brush the fin surfaces in a liberal manner (not to be confused with a Democrat.....:cool:) and let cure then sand again with 220 grit.

I`ll need to fill a few tear outs with good old Bondo before I epoxy the fins.

I use this technique of sealing plywood fins all the time ,kind of strengthens the fibers as it soaks in and gives a glass smooth finish after sanding.

Cheers

Paul t

Der Red Max is sweet but its tough to top a Redstone....that is a cool rocket! Just love the paint scheme on the ol Mercury Redstones...the roll bands, red escape tower...just neat looking!

Oh yes ,the Red Max is a simple kit ,the fin construction was cool though, I enjoyed building those ,but it is a LOC/3 fin job (no offence to Loc kits ,just a little too generic in their looks ,they pretty much all look the same , or is it me ??)

I`m kind of worried if I don`t get the Merc Redstone correct ,there will be hell to pay !

But yah ,totally ,Redstones and Saturns are cool, on the pad or launching ,and roll pattern rock !

I don`t plan on going over the top with the M.Redstone ,or at least within reason.It`s those darn fins that are a PITA to get correct ,to scale and at the same time ,STRONG !

OH....but I have a plan :wink:

Take care Rick !

OBTW-did you ever build a redstone ? I`m sure Luke Strawwalker would have some input and good info !

Paul T

the ol' F-101 Voo Doo..another neat plane...I love the Century series of fighters...those Falcons are sweet too...one of these days I am going to try a build of the F-102, my personal favorite of the Century series with that cool missile bay filled with Falcons...cool stuff Paul!

Actually the F-106 carried them on alert for years. I was with the 84th FIS back in '76 at Castle AFB. Crew chief on a Dart. I sorta remember the whole schmear. No lone zones, elephant walks...

I'll away remember the first day on the job when SMSgt Eddie Thomas told me... if you hear those doors, it's too late.

Masterful build! I wish I knew something about routers because that entire post was like in a different language. :eyeroll:

Missed most of this... work work work

Simply stunning build as we have come to expect from "The Master".
:handshake:
:cheers:

Thanks Jeff ,and thanks for having a look at the old build !

I`ve always liked the looks and shape of the F-102 & 106 Deltas ,awesome looking jets !

I have both in my 1/48 scale model collection.....I mean ,how can you not !

Cheers

Paul T

Well I have to stay home today from work ,as I need to bring my truck into the dealership`s body shop.I was in a accident before Christmas and my truck pretty much got trashed from the passenger front end all the way to the back bumper.... over $ 8,000 damage.....NOT HAPPY as my truck is barely 2 years old :mad:

Soooooo ,while waiting to bring it in for my appointment ,I got the main fins finished.

The West epoxy I applied to the fin surfaces was cured this morning so I was able to sand them smooth with 220 and 320 grit using my random orbit sander and finished off by hand sanding.

I did make a jig for my router table, in order to give the leading edges a nice sharp bevel.I screwed the fins to the jig (just a plywood base and an upright plywood panel set at the angle desired) and slowly ran it againt a 1/2" straight cutting bit.I had a bit of tearout on a fin or two ,but Bondo fixed that.

You can see the screw holes in the fin tabs ,those will not be seen.I was not comfortable just holding or clamoing the fins to the jig ,so two screws were used.

The bevels turned out the way I wanted, so it`s all good.

The fins are 18" long ,so they are big ones !

I ordered some router bits with sharp angles from Rockler ,so I won`t need to make jigs when creating sharp bevels......

THANKYOU...Sather (SMR)for the info on the bits and where to get them...!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Paul T

php7O1c1jAM.jpg

phpapNcl0AM.jpg

phpuARchKAM.jpg

Back