AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! That was NOT a fun experience. I don't know if the bottle of Elmers Glue All that I got from Amazon was old or what, but it seemed to start foaming almost immediately. Made a mess and I was barely able to get the forth grain into the liner. I wrapped the seal disk and the nozzle in a couple wraps of saranwrap, made sure the bottom grain was in contact with the nozzle and that the nozzle shoulder was flush with the bottom of the liner. But some weight on top to keep it from expanding. There HAS to be an easier and less messy and stressful way to do grain bonding. I think part of the problem was because I had to peel off the glassine layer from the grains to get them to slide easily into the liner. Otherwise they were very tight and would only slide through with some effort.

Did you use any water? More water makes more foam.

What glue do you use? I've seen some say to use Gorilla Glue, but I just went with what Aerotech recommends.
Original Gorilla Glue is close to the same thing and it's much easier to get. No one around me carries the Elmer's and I have to order it from Amazon, where you have no idea how good or not the bottle is until you get it. I used Gorilla Glue on my M1500G last time after finding my Glue-All Max was hardened inside the bottle, and I successfully used that motor two weeks ago.

I definitely think that the Elmers that I got from Amazon was old. When I went out to check on the motor this morning, the glue in the (sealed) bottle was nearly solid, would not flow towards the opening when held upside down, and when I squeezed the bottle, you could tell the glue was dried to the sides of the bottle.

I have two bottles of Elmers glue-all Max. One is over a year old and hard to use, the other I got from Amazon last month when I gave up on the old bottle. Night and day difference, the new bottle is better than the Gorilla glue I get at Home Depot, and the old bottle is in the garbage.
Living in Arizona, where the humidity is usually a single digit, I don't use water to cure, and glue all my longer 54mm and 76mm motors, both research and commercial.

So I ordered motors back in November. I still haven't gotten the order and I was told that it is because Aerotech hasn't been producing 54mm motors and since I had several in my order, the vendor hasn't received any in over 4 months now and that's why my order is delayed.

What is the status of production of standard 54mm motors? Are they being made or not? Will the outstanding orders from 4 months ago be fulfilled in time for the vendors to get motors to customer by LDRS42 in June?

I have a bottle of Glue All Max that I got from my local Ace hardware store nearly two years ago, and other than having to clear the dried out stuff in the nozzle (which helps keep the moisture out, so it's a good thing) it's as good as Day One. Keeping the moisture out and at room temperature is the key to making it last... keep in it indoors.

Any chance that Aerotech could look into alternatives to Glue-all Max, and make an official recommendation? I know others are using Gorilla Glue, but would that void the warranty if the official recommended glue was not used?

I have had a difficult time finding the recommended glue, and need to glue up a motor for this coming weekend. I had to pitch my current bottle as it was almost impossible to spread the glue over the grains, let alone get it out of the bottle. I will order one via Amazon today but having a better, more plentiful recommendation would be beneficial to most, I think.

So I ordered motors back in November. I still haven't gotten the order and I was told that it is because Aerotech hasn't been producing 54mm motors and since I had several in my order, the vendor hasn't received any in over 4 months now and that's why my order is delayed.

What is the status of production of standard 54mm motors? Are they being made or not? Will the outstanding orders from 4 months ago be fulfilled in time for the vendors to get motors to customer by LDRS42 in June?
All motors are being produced. We received huge orders from dealers late last year and they should be completely filled very shortly. So yes you should receive your motors in plenty of time for LDRS.

Any chance that Aerotech could look into alternatives to Glue-all Max, and make an official recommendation? I know others are using Gorilla Glue, but would that void the warranty if the official recommended glue was not used?

I have had a difficult time finding the recommended glue, and need to glue up a motor for this coming weekend. I had to pitch my current bottle as it was almost impossible to spread the glue over the grains, let alone get it out of the bottle. I will order one via Amazon today but having a better, more plentiful recommendation would be beneficial to most, I think.
We have been recommending both the Elmer’s and Gorilla glues for some time now:

https://d11fdyfhxcs9cr.cloudfront.n...4000w-ps) 'a' user assembly_1677343572365.pdf

https://d11fdyfhxcs9cr.cloudfront.n...p 98-10240 (m6000st-ps) 'b'_1648897839348.pdf

https://d11fdyfhxcs9cr.cloudfront.n...ages/hp 75-2560 (k1800st-p)_1669210468172.pdf

Wow! That was NOT a fun experience. I don't know if the bottle of Elmers Glue All that I got from Amazon was old or what, but it seemed to start foaming almost immediately. Made a mess and I was barely able to get the forth grain into the liner. I wrapped the seal disk and the nozzle in a couple wraps of saranwrap, made sure the bottom grain was in contact with the nozzle and that the nozzle shoulder was flush with the bottom of the liner. But some weight on top to keep it from expanding. There HAS to be an easier and less messy and stressful way to do grain bonding. I think part of the problem was because I had to peel off the glassine layer from the grains to get them to slide easily into the liner. Otherwise they were very tight and would only slide through with some effort.
I feel your pain, just went through some panic trying to get an L-1940X bonded. I should have known something was up with the Elmers Glue All Max new bottle I tapped into as is was far thicker than what I have used in the past. Went out tonight to an Ace Hardware north of me, they had 2 new bottles on the shelf, and both were on clearance, coincidence? When you put a bad bottle next to a good one, it's clear as day! :mad:
image000000 (1).jpgimage000000 (2).jpg

I feel your pain, just went through some panic trying to get an L-1940X bonded. I should have known something was up with the Elmers Glue All Max new bottle I tapped into as is was far thicker than what I have used in the past. Went out tonight to an Ace Hardware north of me, they had 2 new bottles on the shelf, and both were on clearance, coincidence? When you put a bad bottle next to a good one, it's clear as day! :mad:
View attachment 636029View attachment 636030
I can't find a good bottle of Elmers. But Lowes has Gorilla glue all day long. I'm just getting into reloadables (I'm using the poly glue for other stuff). But I'm not going to waste my time trying to find the Elmers.

Does anyone know if any commercial motors have magnesium in them? Which motor designations and manufacturers would be helpful. Thanks!

View attachment 636029View attachment 636030

This. When I picked up GG last night, I was blown away by the fluidity of the GG compared to the molasses of the Glue All Max. That would explain the struggles I've had the last few times.

Does anyone know if any commercial motors have magnesium in them? Which motor designations and manufacturers would be helpful. Thanks!
Yes they do. Almost any motor with a white smoke will have a mix in it. Mag and one other heavier compound is used to make white smoke , or black smokecdepending in its ratio

Beyond just following directions, is there anything special (or any tips/tricks not in the instructions) for LMS motors? I got a G78 from hobbylinc that is LMS (was not advertised as such, the G78-4 and G78-10 are apparently regular single use motors, but the G78-7 is LMS). I use RMS all the time, so assembling it is not big deal, I just want t make sure I am not missing anything. Still annoyed the hobbylinc doesn't show the correct product image.

Beyond just following directions, is there anything special (or any tips/tricks not in the instructions) for LMS motors? I got a G78 from hobbylinc that is LMS (was not advertised as such, the G78-4 and G78-10 are apparently regular single use motors, but the G78-7 is LMS). I use RMS all the time, so assembling it is not big deal, I just want t make sure I am not missing anything. Still annoyed the hobbylinc doesn't show the correct product image.

Don't build it outside in any cold weather. The Epoxy may cure weak and a failure may happen, at least it did to me long ago.

Back