AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for adding that measurement to the drawing, I might just be able to fit this reload in by careful placement of my charge cups and anchor point on the aft end of the avbay.
Wish I could convince Aero Pack to make a tail cone for a 98mm MMT to 5" body tube... I'm sure they would sell at least two of them in the next few years.
The BIG question is who is gonna jump in with $3k for the first flight? I can see why this is targeted at the college teams, who are really good at soliciting funds for their projects

Short piece of body tube, shorter piece of coupler tube.... Add some press fit nuts and screws... Instant motor upgrade extension.... Paint it a contrasting color. :D
Thanks to all that responded to my previous post. That's what this forum is for, sharing ideas.

Extend it?
I did that on a Formula 75 a few years ago, using cautery's idea. But it's just a couple of inches....
Just tape it to the retainer body... it will be fine. :)
Thanks Cris, but no thanks. There already is a 75mm 6XL casing lost somewhere North of the Rocket Pasture in Kansas using a similar method.

The BIG question is who is gonna jump in with $3k for the first flight? I can see why this is targeted at the college teams, who are really good at soliciting funds for their projects
Funny you should mention that. I was just thinking about hitting up Auntie Sharon to sponsor my next 6” Interceptor flight at AirFest next year… :p:p:cool:
Thanks Cris, but no thanks. There already is a 75mm 6XL casing lost somewhere North of the Rocket Pasture in Kansas using a similar method.
Hmm sounds like a treasure hunt in the making… ;)

Funny you mention that...I'm looking at reducing the impulse of the J33N to 640 N-sec once we start work to get it certified. So roughly an I33N.
Yessssssss!

It'll be really cool to have a motor that's very close to optimal for altitude within an impulse class.

Most of the time there is room for improvement over the best motor in the impulse class, but I don't think that it's possible to do better than an I33. The only way I could see to improve it would be to use a nonstandard motor diameter in order to reduce frontal area while still being a full I.

Last edited:
Someone just took a H13 to over 17k... think weight wise a I33 (full I) to H13 (full H) is possible?

What 50k in ideal conditions...
That someone posted right before you did:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...ripoli-h-altitude-record.177647/#post-2383240

These type of flights are complicated but possible, as you can tell if you read Daniel's thread. I'm amazed that they found that little rocket, drifting down from 17k ft.
The terrain around the Eagle Eye launch site is not that easy to traverse.

Someone just took a H13 to over 17k... think weight wise a I33 (full I) to H13 (full H) is possible?

What 50k in ideal conditions...
The I33 would be a terrible booster motor. These super long burning motors are very susceptible to arcing over, and with sane tilt lockouts, I doubt you'd ever manage to get reliable sustainer ignition. For going after the staged J impulse record, the best booster for the H13 would probably be the CTI J453. I might do a flight with a J510 booster at some point, but that'll edge into K impulse. For a staged K record, an I33 would make an awesome sustainer. A K1103 wouldn't be quite optimal for a booster motor, but it's awesome and I already have the case, so I might fly that combination someday.

That someone posted right before you did:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...ripoli-h-altitude-record.177647/#post-2383240

These type of flights are complicated but possible, as you can tell if you read Daniel's thread. I'm amazed that they found that little rocket, drifting down from 17k ft.
The terrain around the Eagle Eye launch site is not that easy to traverse.

Recovery was actually fairly simple, once we got a signal from the beacon. That just required climbing a mountain, but once we had beeps it was just a matter of a bit more looking to find it. It landed behind some hills that blocked the signal, but it was actually pretty close to the road.

The I33 would be a terrible booster motor. These super long burning motors are very susceptible to arcing over, and with sane tilt lockouts, I doubt you'd ever manage to get reliable sustainer ignition. For going after the staged J impulse record, the best booster for the H13 would probably be the CTI J453. I might do a flight with a J510 booster at some point, but that'll edge into K impulse. For a staged K record, an I33 would make an awesome sustainer. A K1103 wouldn't be quite optimal for a booster motor, but it's awesome and I already have the case, so I might fly that combination someday.

Recovery was actually fairly simple, once we got a signal from the beacon. That just required climbing a mountain, but once we had beeps it was just a matter of a bit more looking to find it. It landed behind some hills that blocked the signal, but it was actually pretty close to the road.
Can confirm that the K1103 is an awesome motor. Flew my first one at HNS last summer, and instantly fell in love. Prop X and NBT are easily my favorite propellants at this point, though I wish there were more options for both - 38/720 reloads???

DANG! It's 2.3 inches too long for my 5" rocket.... What's a fella to do? I don't think there is a clause in my Wildmans oath to cover this...
When I flew my Big Motoreater on an N at Winternats 2008, it was 2" too long for the rocket designed for an M. A short piece of glassed motor mount tube slid over the motor before inserting it into the rocket. I used tape for retension and just had to use a second band around both ends of the added MMT. Here's the flight.

Can confirm that the K1103 is an awesome motor. Flew my first one at HNS last summer, and instantly fell in love. Prop X and NBT are easily my favorite propellants at this point, though I wish there were more options for both - 38/720 reloads???
I won't be buying any more K1100s. The K1103 has 400 more free N-s. I use the K1103 anywhere I used to use the K1100.

And if you want a blue flame, then the K2050 has a significantly bigger blue/purple flame. Old Blue Thunder isn't amazing visually, but Super Thunder is great.

Yes, an I33N would be best used as a single stage motor or 2-stage with a high thrust booster.

@AeroTech I would like to know if an assembly drawing is available for the G40-7 Single Use motor. Since it isn't classified as a DMS, I don't see it on the website.
I only ask because I have 2 that the grains have swollen shut (Estes label). I would like to open the grain(s) enough to get a starter installed but do not want to destroy the nozzle throat or drill into the delay.
Thank you!

@AeroTech I would like to know if an assembly drawing is available for the G40-7 Single Use motor. Since it isn't classified as a DMS, I don't see it on the website.
I only ask because I have 2 that the grains have swollen shut (Estes label). I would like to open the grain(s) enough to get a starter installed but do not want to destroy the nozzle throat or drill into the delay.
Thank you!
I’ll try and get you information this evening or tomorrow.

Hands down love the K1100. Sure the 1103X has more Ns, but the 1100 is CLASSIC!

...and the 2050 is a different animal all together. Has its place, but doesn't "replace" the 1100.
Agree on the "replace" comment. ST is an entirely different thing from T. I don't even compare them to each other. If I want a hard hitting motor, I'll choose T...if I want a REALLY hard hitting motor, I choose ST...if I want a ludicrously hard hitting motor, it's warp 9. lol

Thank you!
G40-7.jpg

Hands down love the K1100. Sure the 1103X has more Ns, but the 1100 is CLASSIC!

...and the 2050 is a different animal all together. Has its place, but doesn't "replace" the 1100.
Did you fly a K-1800 yet? I have one grain bonded, but not flown... YET... :)

I noticed that there’s been a little grousing on one of the rocket forums about the upcoming Classic Enerjet Nike-Ram kit not being “exact” scale (for example, the body tube is 0.040” larger in diameter). Our customers should understand that If we started from scratch we would end up with a kit that could cost $40 to $50 retail or more. By using our existing similar parts we are able to keep the price down to $30 retail. We don’t think making it an absolutely exact scale kit at a higher price will increase popularity or sales. The Classic Enerjet motors aren’t exact reproductions either, but are modern interpretations of the originals. And better in many ways! We look at it from the standpoint that we are introducing new generations to the magic of composite propellant hobby rocketry when it first started in 1971. The popularity of the F52C and now the reaction to the E24C & F67C supports our belief that we are accomplishing that mission.
43CEAA0B-C9E9-478C-894A-995F4744406D.jpeg

E60B9C55-DBF6-48E1-9D04-C3633B8CA50A.jpeg

I noticed that there’s been a little grousing on one of the rocket forums about the upcoming Classic Enerjet Nike-Ram kit not being “exact” scale (for example, the body tube is 0.040” larger in diameter). Our customers should understand that If we started from scratch we would end up with a kit that could cost $40 to $50 retail or more. By using our existing similar parts we are able to keep the price down to $30 retail. We don’t think making it an absolutely exact scale kit at a higher price will increase popularity or sales. The Classic Enerjet motors aren’t exact reproductions either, but are modern interpretations of the originals. And better in many ways! We look at it from the standpoint that we are introducing new generations to the magic of composite propellant hobby rocketry when it first started in 1971. The popularity of the F52C and now the reaction to the E24C & F67C supports our belief that we are accomplishing that mission.
View attachment 563496

View attachment 563497
No good deed ever goes unpunished. :headspinning:

View attachment 563496

View attachment 563497
You’ll find whiners in every community. My responses to such minor criticisms ranges from “eh, whatever” to “are you serious?”

Regardless of the commonality with the original Enerjets, combining a 29mm hazmat-free E with the plug-and-play simplicity of a single-use motor is a clear winner. Options are great, especially when they’re all popular.

Last edited:
Back