AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bring back the F55T... I have a few in my range box waiting for good use... :)

Those must have been before my time, I'd never heard of that one until now. An 18mm F?! I'm thinking that would be a fun one! Why did it die off?

It seems there is a fair interest here in expanding your 18mm line. The 54, 75, and 98mm is way out of my league $$$, but the 'little' stuff is still fun!

Can't seem to see the last post in this thread for some reason. So, this is a test....

//Post Test: thought I saw a post on the 24th per the "Last Post By" at the right side on the Forum. However, I don't see it above :confused2:

Jeff,
Agreed!
At our monthly club launches less than 20% of our flights (~75+ flights/month)are larger than 38mm.
We have the field and equipment and 6500' AGL waiver to do K, L flights and even some M.
Most of our members state while they like the big stuff,they just cannot justify or afford the expense.
So a big YES to more 18mm to 24mm reloads and motors, as well as smaller 29mm and 38mm ones.
Ken

It is my full belief that AeroTech is missing out. Their competitor, CTI, has 6 grain 24mm motors.

I fly Estes and AeroTech exclusively. But those 24mm loads are making me itchy. I fly a fair amount of 24mm motors. I fly a lot of 29mm. I fly a lot of 18mm. I fly a few 13mm. I've never flown over 29mm.

More 18mm loads. More high end 24mm loads. And more variety in each case would be great. I'd love to grab just any case and fly a green. Or a red. Maybe a blue. How about black? I'd flip for 18mm and 24mm redlines.

I lost my 18/20 a LONG time ago flying an 18mm RMS E in the case.... It was pretty cool. Yes, they once made a blue thunder E motor for the 18/20 case. I didn't think it'd punish my 2.6" skeeter as much as it did... Alas, it was lost... Oh well.

Here we go:

18mm E45 Blue Thunder
20150215_150716.jpg

18mm F55 Blue Thunder
20150215_150924.jpg

How about successful launches with the L1000? Any good stories? Photos? What altitudes and speeds have people reached in what rockets?

I've got one waiting for the right conditions and I'm curious about what others have done.

How about successful launches with the L1000? Any good stories? Photos? What altitudes and speeds have people reached in what rockets?

I've got one waiting for the right conditions and I'm curious about what others have done.

[video=youtube;r1v-TqXjPG4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1v-TqXjPG4[/video] -- Don't expect the kind of performance you'd get out of a 75mm L. I'd say it's on par with the K1275 or so... Somewhat of a letdown, but without any specialized casings, that's your best bet for "yep, gonna fly an L someday" motor...

Here we go:

18mm E45 Blue Thunder
20150215_150716.jpg

18mm F55 Blue Thunder
20150215_150924.jpg

Huh, nice... Mine are packaged with the gold paperwork from way back when. I'll have to take a snappie sometime.

Nice video.

Biggest motor I’ve launched so far is a K1200, so it looked impressive to me. (I did a disposal burn on a recalled L1000 which was impressive itself. They look different when they’re actually pushing a rocket up). I like the backup drogue charge firing a few seconds after separation. It’s a little difficult to tell from the images… is that rocket a 3”? If so, about 9 lbs dry weight based on the altitude you got?

There’s gotta be more success stories than “overpressure cato” / “thrust ring failed” stories. Hopefully more people chime in.

Aerotech's face book page has a picture of the new I180W reload. This looks like the no-hazmat reload for the 38/360 case. Appears to be a 6 grain reload. I wonder how many of these shorter grains could be used in longer cases before there were issues?

i80.png

Last edited:
Aerotech's face book page has a picture of the new I180W reload. This looks like the no-hazmat reload for the 38/360 case. Appears to be a 6 grain reload. I wonder how many of these shorter grains can be used in longer cases before there are issues?

View attachment 283390

Depends. Do we have a copy of the assembly instructions yet? It may end up that we have to bond the grains. Or perhaps the expansion rate of the grains is enough to form a pressure seal alone.

I have one unfired also , so very curious about this too !

NON HAZ 38mm FTW !! :woot:

Kenny

Depends. Do we have a copy of the assembly instructions yet? It may end up that we have to bond the grains. Or perhaps the expansion rate of the grains is enough to form a pressure seal alone.

No bonding necessary for these :).

So why can't I get a 54/1280? I thought the 54mm stuff was back in stock?

I'm pretty peeved at the moment. I've been trying to get a 54/1280 via Countyline Hobbies for the last 2 months and Bob is telling me they're still back ordered. I was told that this casing was going to be shipped according to AT and I should have it no problem getting it this month. What is going on?

I'm beginning to believe these cases don't exist.

Our machinist is getting caught up still. Bob is one of many dealers waiting for this case, we will ship them as soon as we get them.

I have a question about AT nomenclature. AT datasheets list, for every motor, total mass and propellant mass. I'm curious what "propellant" includes in this context. It seems to be more than just the grains.

My interest is to know the delta mass on the pad and at burnout. I'm trying to calculate CG shift in a glider, and I need to know how much mass I lose in the rear by burnout.

Ari.

Above my pay grade Ari but I will ask Karl.

This...

and this...

and this...

And everything else mentioned about the Hobbyline reloads are enough to drag me out of the shadows...

Charlie, huge thanks for this thread and injecting new life into AT.

Unfortunately it will be more than a year before I get my dirty little hands on any of these new reloads :( (about the only downside of living in Australia)

I am working on something for Australia now, hang in there!

Hi Charlie,

Any update on the release of the Monstra? A while back you thought this new kit might be available in late February. Can we get an update?

I had to find a new graphic designer as the previous one kind of vanished. Just waiting on instructions and decals and it will be complete. End of March to mid-April is more accurate.

What I'd like to see offered by Aerotech would be a new Kit.
Namely, a "scale" MPR kit, that would come with molded plastic details and fins, so as to be a "Scale" scale kit, like a 2.6" or 3" AMRAAM AIM-120 or something similar.
Just big enough to push the upper limit end of MPR, but maybe in 38mm for the HPR folks, but with a 29mm Adapter included so those of us who like the G-Force could have a "scale" kit near that size.

I know it is not going to happen, but it is what I'd like.

The kit line has some stuff coming out but nothing like you describe. Doesn't mean it will never happen but it would take more resources to pull that off then what we currently have available.

Jeff,
Agreed!
At our monthly club launches less than 20% of our flights (~75+ flights/month)are larger than 38mm.
We have the field and equipment and 6500' AGL waiver to do K, L flights and even some M.
Most of our members state while they like the big stuff,they just cannot justify or afford the expense.
So a big YES to more 18mm to 24mm reloads and motors, as well as smaller 29mm and 38mm ones.
Ken

Good to know, thank you for the info.

It is my full belief that AeroTech is missing out. Their competitor, CTI, has 6 grain 24mm motors.

I fly Estes and AeroTech exclusively. But those 24mm loads are making me itchy. I fly a fair amount of 24mm motors. I fly a lot of 29mm. I fly a lot of 18mm. I fly a few 13mm. I've never flown over 29mm.

More 18mm loads. More high end 24mm loads. And more variety in each case would be great. I'd love to grab just any case and fly a green. Or a red. Maybe a blue. How about black? I'd flip for 18mm and 24mm redlines.

We haven't really seen a market that justifies investing in larger 24mm motors yet. We are doing some new flavors in the 24/60 case, including a redline, and we will look at 18mm reloads after that.

Latest posts

Back